Question Advice on reading laptop M.2 SSD ?

Mossmyr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
So my little brother's laptop died and he's sad because he had a lot of photos stored on it.

I have extracted the laptop's storage, which I have identified as a M.2 2280 B+M SSD, at least according to this Dell article about different M.2 cards.
20240519_203807.jpg

I have tried to insert the card into one of my stationary computer's M.2 slots, but then the computer won't start (power and fans are on but does not reach BIOS).

I have also dismantled two laptops, one of which fit the card but also would not start, the other laptop was A+E keyed.

I don't have any specific question for this. Just looking for advice.

I can't rule out that the card itself is bricked of course. Is there any reason my stationary computer should not have started with this card inserted? Are there any M.2 card readers I can get?

Thank you :)

Ralston18

Titan
Your brother's laptop: make, model, specs...?

Any ideas about what might have happened to your brother's laptop?

Is/was that card the boot drive for your brother's laptop?

What were the two dismantled laptops? Consider that dismantling the laptops may be the reason the laptops would not start.

Stationary PC: I believe that you mean a desktop or perhaps an All-in-one system. Specs?

My thought would be to place the card in an external enclosure (USB) so the card would appear as an external drive to the host system.

However, hold on doing anything until there are other ideas and suggestions. The present concern being that anything you do could cause loss of the photos. If they are not gone already.

So my little brother's laptop died and he's sad because he had a lot of photos on it.

I have extracted the laptop's storage, which I have identified as a M.2 2280 B+M SSD, at least according to this Dell article about different M.2 cards.
20240519_203807.jpg

I have tried to insert the card into one of my stationary computer's M.2 slots, but then the computer won't start (power and fans are on but does not reach BIOS).

I have also dismantled two laptops, one of which fit the card but also would not start, the other laptop was A+E keyed.

I don't have any specific question for this. Just looking for advice.

I can't rule out that the card itself is bricked of course. Is there any reason my stationary computer should not have started with this card inserted? Are there any M.2 card readers I can get?

Thank you :)
Pc 101......backup/backup/backup.

You could contact a data recovery house but be prepared for sticker shock.

Your pic shows a sata m.2 so you could get a sata external enclosure and connect via usb and test.

I carry 2 of these in my laptop bag LINK in case i need to clone one drive to another, along with 2 of their NVMe cases as well.

The drive that you have is a M.2 sata drive and would need the case i linked above. Depending on what computer you put the drive in it might be a M.2 slot but only be NVMe compatible.