[SOLVED] Advice On Upgrading Computer (01/01/2021) - SOLVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hi,

What GPU should I upgrade too? Currently my client has a i3 oe i4 CPU with a GT 710 2gb card.

He would like to upgrade his card only for budget of £100. What card would you advice getting new?

Solution
but would he see a little boost in performance? And plus if he decides to ask me on a new build he wants to do. The graphics card is already done for the new build if he wants a new build later on.

mid the issue going to be that the GPU going to bottle neck the CPU I guess?

If the games he plays are more GPU dependent then he should see an increase, but not if they're CPU dependent. How big that increase is is anybody's guess, but I'd not expect too much on that old of a system.

Putting in a new GPU always gives an uplift, it's just that this performance increase is much less when you have much less system to start with.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
For that amount on the new market you have very few options. It will probably be a 1030gt just make sure it uses gddr memory not ddr.

It’s far from the best card but it’s definitely better than what they have. If you find anything better buy it.

Also they are using a q6600 that predates i3/i5/i7.

Last edited:

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
For that amount on the new market you have very few options. It will probably be a 1030gt just make sure it uses gddr memory not ddr.

It’s far from the best card but it’s definitely better than what they have. If you find anything better buy it.

Also they are using a q6600 that predates i3/i5/i7.

Thank you. Couple of questions , what is the difference between gddr and ddr memory on GPU?

And if I asked the client if they could maybe push the budget to £150 max. What card would you recommend for that price?

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Short answer gddr is just way better ddr holds it back
It will perform worse than the price difference would suggest

Im not sure the client has many options as the cpu will hold back most cards and i still can not tell what psu they are using :(

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
The best advice you could give them is to save their money until they have enough for a platform upgrade, that'd mean you potentially not earning any money out of them and them not spending money for little to no return, but that's your call.

System is too old to spend ANY money on.

It is for a friend so I'm not making any money out of this. But I was thinking would the 1030gt or 1050 ti be worth it?

As he is the link for the 1050 ti (£130) : https://shop.bt.com/products/gigaby...-3-lp-gv-n105toc-4gl-CVDT.html?refs=528350000

And would the 1050ti just give him a bit of the boost for now? Or would you still say just build a whole new system.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
I'd be hard pressed to recommend either given the pricing right now, obviously the 1050ti would be better, albeit possibly held back by the CPU.

If you were to ask me if it was worth it, I'd say no, not for the money they cost at the moment. I'd say build a new system after a bit more saving.

Ok thanks. So you think the 1050 ti for £130 is a bit expensive for what it is? If you said to build a new PC for a low end for 1080p 60hz, what price would you say it would cost to build a good low end computer.

I just said to him get the 1050ti as he just wants to play games untill he can buy the new xbox.

Hey there,

Sorry I'm only weighing in on this now. But it might be a good idea to hold off on buying a GT/X 10xx series card. The system you linked is older. The mobo does not have a UEFI bios. The cards will probably not work because of this. Same applies to the RX4xx/5xx series and above from AMD. This is a well known issue.

You should look at GTX9xx series or Radeon R7/R9.

edit: Very occasionally, it does work on some non-UEFI bios mobo's. This is mostly down to the GPU not having legacy mode support for older mobo's.

Some GPU's come with a dual bios switch for legacy support. You might research those cards.

Last edited:

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hey there,

Sorry I'm only weighing in on this now. But it might be a good idea to hold off on buying a GT/X 10xx series card. The system you linked is older. The mobo does not have a UEFI bios. The cards will probably not work because of this. Same applies to the RX4xx/5xx series and above from AMD. This is a well known issue.

edit: Very occasionally, it does work on some non-UEFI bios mobo's. This is mostly down to the GPU not having legacy mode support for older mobo's.

Some GPU's come with a dual bios switch for legacy support. You might research those cards.

He bought the 1050 ti. There should be no issue once installed onto the system right? And if there is, should it be an easy fix?

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hey there,

This is the GPU he bought: https://shop.bt.com/products/gigaby...-3-lp-gv-n105toc-4gl-CVDT.html?refs=528350000

He bought the 1050 ti. There should be no issue once installed onto the system right? And if there is, should it be an easy fix?

Ah, damn. I was hoping to get to you sooner.

So, the only thing I can advise in that case, is make sure you have the most up to date bios for the mobo. Intel 965 were good mobo's but, I'm almost positive they won't work with the GTX 10xx series cards because of the legacy bios issue.

Give me a few mins to check that GPU, ill get back to you in a few.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Ah, damn. I was hoping to get to you sooner.

So, the only thing I can advise in that case, is make sure you have the most up to date bios for the mobo. Intel 965 were good mobo's but, I'm almost positive they won't work with the GTX 10xx series cards because of the legacy bios issue.

Give me a few mins to check that GPU, ill get back to you in a few.

Ok

So, that particular GPU doesn't have Dual bios, or legacy support.. Some Galax/Sapphire GPU's do have dual bios. Can you return the order for a refund?

This is my suggestion: If it's already ordered and posted, then just stick it and see if it works. It's possible it will. Just can't be certain. Some users with older chipsets put the cards in and they work! But the majority have issues. If it doesn't work return it, and look at a GTX960/970/980 second hand. Those cards will work with the older bios.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
So, that particular GPU doesn't have Dual bios, or legacy support.. Some Galax/Sapphire GPU's do have dual bios. Can you return the order for a refund?

This is my suggestion: If it's already ordered and posted, then just stick it and see if it works. It's possible it will. Just can't be certain. Some users with older chipsets put the cards in and they work! But the majority have issues. If it doesn't work return it, and look at a GTX960/970/980 second hand. Those cards will work with the older bios.

Yes ok thanks, he has ordered the GPU now. So will just wait to see if the card will or not work. What kind of error will it come up with if it does not work? And what is the difference between the gtx9 series which makes it work over the gt10.

Typically it's a black screen showing no video.

The difference in bios support for the most part, is just about tech moving on. GPU's are sold to the lowest common denominator (i.e the most users with hardware that will support the product). At some point or another, the higher end components/tech move forward, and older tech is left behind with little support. You have to remember the Q6600 based system was 10+ years old. The GTX1050ti is 2 -3 years old. Compatibility is the issue here.

Ley us know how you get on. The other posters may not have been aware of this issue, and we try to offer advise on the best of our knowledge.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Typically it's a black screen showing no video.

The difference in bios support for the most part, is just about tech moving on. GPU's are sold to the lowest common denominator (i.e the most users with hardware that will support the product). At some point or another, the higher end components/tech move forward, and older tech is left behind with little support. You have to remember the Q6600 based system was 10+ years old. The GTX1050ti is 2 -3 years old. Compatibility is the issue here.

Ley us know how you get on. The other posters may not have been aware of this issue, and we try to offer advise on the best of our knowledge.

Ok thank you. But if this card does not work and has to be sent back, which card would you think works the best for this system type for budget of £100.

Status
Not open for further replies.