[SOLVED] Advice on where I can buy a cheap NAS PC case ?

Mar 21, 2022
i am looking for something like a full tower or mid tower case where i can fit at least 6 x 3.5-inch drives. i don't care how it looks and i want to buy it in the usa if possible. I know that NAS enclosures exist with 200mm fans and hot swaps and lcd screens and all that but I don't need all that. I don't have a mission critical need and all my backups are copied off-site for redundancy.

the current case i have only accepts 5 drives but i need to install another drive. Most of the cases I have found cost $180USD or more. I am trying to find something between $50 to 150USD ?

Solution
I used a Lian Li Q series ITX cube case for some years, it was nice. It had a stack for (5) 3.5" drives and then room for up to (2) 3.5" drives along the basement. I am not sure they still make it, but surely they have something similar.

My only complaint was that it utilized 'snap' connectors for the side panels and it rattled a little up until I used some weatherstripping foam around them.

This was it, and on sale for $50

Lian-Li Mini-Q PC-Q25 Black Aluminum Case | Smart Guys Computers - An IT Total Solution Provider

Ralston18

Titan
You may be able to get a case for even less - especially if you have patience.

Start looking around in thrift stores, yard sales, curb sides (on trash/recycle collection days if applicable).

Ask friends, family. co-workers. Very likely someone has or knows someone with an obsolete "dinosaur" case stuck away somewhere. If there are any remaining PC repair places around check there.

As for your current case - does the five drive bay include the optical drive bay? Make and model case?

Any particular reason/requirement for using 3.5" drives? If nothing fancy (LCDs/hot swapping etc.)is needed consider SSD's.

Cooler, quieter, faster, less power needed.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I used a Lian Li Q series ITX cube case for some years, it was nice. It had a stack for (5) 3.5" drives and then room for up to (2) 3.5" drives along the basement. I am not sure they still make it, but surely they have something similar.

My only complaint was that it utilized 'snap' connectors for the side panels and it rattled a little up until I used some weatherstripping foam around them.

This was it, and on sale for $50

Lian-Li Mini-Q PC-Q25 Black Aluminum Case | Smart Guys Computers - An IT Total Solution Provider

Solution