ADVICE PLEASE?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

schaubert6969

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
well i guess i,ll have to wait and see wont i
i have a good feeling it will play well if the one i got now looks good but has just medium lag
then this one should do the trick seeing has it has 8.1 and 9 supportings

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
allright thanks alot man been tons of help :)
and as for mister i payed 10£ for a 9200 i dont really give a **** i think its a sweet card the features kick ass and liek i said all i need it for really is the directx9 anything is better then what i got now so thats all that matters.

Sorry man, mesa's right. That card's not worth the price you paid.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
ATI make the chip. They also make some cards. Sapphire makes cards, using ATI's chip.

The cards will perform identically (or as near as dammit to identically).

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The fact that PC World sells that card for only £4 more than you are going to pay for it should really tell you something. For you Americans who don't have PC World, they sell USB cables for £20 (1.8m), to put it in perspective.

Oh, and....

and as for mister i payed 10£ for a 9200 i dont really give a **** i think its a sweet card the features kick ass and liek i said all i need it for really is the directx9 anything is better then what i got now so thats all that matters.

Your topic is titles 'ADVICE PLEASE'. Don't ask for input and then have a go when you don't like it. £15 is the most you should be paying these days for an AGP 9250 - even less for the PCI model.

Mine pushes 40fps at 800x600 in Raven Shield with all the effects turned off or set to lowest.

schaubert6969

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
so are you saying i wont be able to play counterstrike source or DoD?
sorri for snappin i would jsut be upset if i just bought a card so i can play this game and then it wont even help.

raytracer06

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
all i really want to know is will i be able to play counterstrike source and DoD with easyness that card supports 8.1 and 9 directx
these r the features it has

128MB of 400MHz DDR memory accelerates the latest cutting edge 3D applications
Available in both a 128-bit and 64-bit memory data path interface
ATI RADEON™ 9250 VPU operating at 240 MHz
Supports the AGP 8X and AGP 4x standard or PCI Bus, providing a high-speed link between the graphics card and the rest of the PC
Four pixel shader pipeline
Full support for Microsoft® DirectX® 8.1 and DX9 compliance and the latest OpenGL® functionality
SMARTSHADER™ technology
VIDEO IMMERSION™ and FULLSTREAM™ technologies which provide for amazing video playback quality.
Integrated DV support for Flat Panel displays
Powered by CATALYST™ - The industry's most stable unified graphics software

don't forget this is the official description of the card... and the manufacturer will never tell you his card is a piece of crap ! good-sounding feature names like "smartsomething" sometimes don't mean anything... see the "hypermemory technology"... it sounds good... but it is just a cute name for crappy shared memory.
You shouldn't trust official specs so much, and rather read real benchmarks made by independant websites.

of course, your 9250 will be better than your integrated card, but don't hope it will run recent games with full detail.

schaubert6969

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
dont want it in (full) detail just want it not to lag anymore
like the integrated one i have in right now would be PERFECT if not for the lag so if this one takes the lag away i,ll be greatly happy!!!

schaubert6969

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
can someone please just answer this last question.

will this card be able to play counter strike source and DoD in any detail at all all i need is for it not to lag.
also does it help that my pc has 960 MBS of RAM

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Like I said earlier on, my 9200 pushes 40FPS in Raven Shield in the lowest settings @ 800x600 (2.2ghz, 1.5gb RAM), I'm not sure how the engine RS uses compares to Source or DoD.

sailer

Splendid
dont want it in (full) detail just want it not to lag anymore
like the integrated one i have in right now would be PERFECT if not for the lag so if this one takes the lag away i,ll be greatly happy!!!

Put it this way, almost any card would be better than the integrated graphics, even a PCI card. Don't know what your total budget is, or availability where you are, but a X800 GTO would be better than the 9250. A 9250 will be better than integrated graphics, its just that you should be able to get a better card for the money spent.

Not sure how you ended up with 960 mg of ram, as most would have an even gig of ram (two 512 sticks or four 256 sticks), but the 960 mg of ram would still be better than 512 mg.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Almost certainly not, sadly.

You may be able to play at a sensible speed in 640x480 - possibly if you're *really* lucky in 800x600. Nothing higher than that, not with a 9250.

9250 easily gets 1024*786 with medium effects in cs source. A friend of mine has the 9250 gamer edition (dont think thats REALLY faster) but could play it.

schaubert6969

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
YES THANK YOU!!! i was stressin about that after everyone was like no cant play cs or dod all this crap... thank you so much FeareX
and as for the ram i unno exactly what my father inlaw did he said he added a gig of ram and when i look at the system info it reads 960 MB RAM and he designs a wide aray of chips for a living lol
no matter im stoked now :)
thanks everyone for the advice

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I suspect there's 1024Mb of RAM in it, 64Mb of which are taken by the onboard graphics - so 960Mb - this means that when you disable the onboard graphics you should have the full gig.

schaubert6969

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
ya makes sence but after i disable the onboard and conect/install the new one im getting that will take up some Ram correct?

and if its a agp card i think i,ll put it in the agp slot and i dont know what the f dikfer is lol

schaubert6969

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
HELL YA thats wicked
tho im still having thoughts on how to install the thing v.v lol
been looking around everyone has a different approach on it.
mainly its the disabling of the integrated and the steps after words.
i checked my bios jsut for the hell of it and in advanced setting it comes up with onboard chip config when i go in there it gives me a choice of what my primary graphics can be. pci/agp/onboard agp.
if anyone can help me i have its a packardbell imedia 1308 i have.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
If those are your choices and your putting in an AGP card, just set it to AGP. After, turn off your computer, put in the new card, reboot, and install the drivers for your new card. You may need to uninstall your onboard video drivers first because they can conflict with the drivers for your AGP card.

schaubert6969

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
allright then i think thats all i need to knwo from this forum hahaha
THANK YOU everyone who has been of help to me lol
this forum has made its fair amount of hits i would have to say hahaha