Question Advice used enterprise switch for POE cameras and wifi ACs

alitechno

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I have a bit of a wish list and I am totally clueless on which things to pay attention to.

I intend to use the switch for 4 PCs, 9 POE cameras, 3 wifi ACs and loads of wired peripherals such as smart light hubs, automation hubs etc. I'd like to go for 48 ports to ensure I dont need to worry about upgrading anytime soon.

On ebay, I can see a hundred options, of which I am not sure what to pick.

Here is the wishlist.

1. 48 ports
  2. Gigabit
  3. POE+
  4. Manageable depth as I will wall mount it facing the ports downward (some are super deep)
  5. 803.2at high power for the ACs
  6. Managed
  7. a couple of 10GB ports (not sfp) would be a nice to have
  8. Not hugely power hungry with multiple PSUs and fans blasting away (apart from the actual POE draw)

Any ideas on which older enterprise data center stuff I should consider? Anything I should look out for? I am not fussed about brands

Watch out on the power usage of older models. You can find detailed specs on the manufacturers spec pages. Some of them can be pretty hefty. Enough so that one a few years newer can cover the cost difference in a year or less of power consumption.

I can't think of a specific model but when I was looking into used managed switches a couple years ago. I settled on Cisco.

Do consider SFP if IOPS are important. During my research. I found Fiber offered higher IOPS than 10 GbE if the server is using SSD.

You're not going to get 803.2at that's 48 ports that doesn't have fans and is semi-loud simply because there's a lot of power that's needed for that many poe ports. In addition, you're not going to find these with 10Gbase-T but spf slots instead. However there are rj45 spf units available decently cheap if you absolutely need rj45 for 10G. (I would simply use a dac if possible.)

Now, if you step down to 16 or 24 ports, you will have a lot less noise because the power demands are literally 1/4 or 1/2 of a 48 port. Plus, you can always add another switch when you do need the ports.

HP/Cisco/Avaya/and some other names I'm forgetting are great products that will last and last. I would avoid any brands that don't make high-end enterprise equipment as they will be just a little cheaper and not as reliable.

You have to look at the PoE power budget on the switch. On a 48 port switch that can put power out on even 1/2 the ports it take pretty large power supplies. Because of physical limitation with the size of the switch this tends to mean you need 2 power supplies. Being enterprise switches they tend to put in 3 and make them hot swapable since it is the power supply will fail if anything does. They also put out heat so you have lots of fans.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a bit of a wish list and I am totally clueless on which things to pay attention to.

I intend to use the switch for 4 PCs, 9 POE cameras, 3 wifi ACs and loads of wired peripherals such as smart light hubs, automation hubs etc. I'd like to go for 48 ports to ensure I dont need to worry about upgrading anytime soon.

On ebay, I can see a hundred options, of which I am not sure what to pick.

Here is the wishlist.

1. 48 ports
  2. Gigabit
  3. POE+
  4. Manageable depth as I will wall mount it facing the ports downward (some are super deep)
  5. 803.2at high power for the ACs
  6. Managed
  7. a couple of 10GB ports (not sfp) would be a nice to have
  8. Not hugely power hungry with multiple PSUs and fans blasting away (apart from the actual POE draw)
Any ideas on which older enterprise data center stuff I should consider? Anything I should look out for? I am not fussed about brands
Your "wishlist" is pretty big. What brand of APs are you using? The AP manufacturer probably has a switch. Same with the camera manufacturer.

alitechno

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Thanks so much for all the advice gents. I think I have found what I was looking for. A brocade ICX6450-48P. This tickets all the boxes and should serve me well.

alitechno

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
The guys on STH know their stuff when it comes to equipment like this. :) Glad you found what you were looking for!
Indeed, it seems like that.

SamirD your help is highly appreciated. I was a lot more informed after reading your reply and have decided to stick to SPF+

Reactions: SamirD
Indeed, it seems like that.

SamirD your help is highly appreciated. I was a lot more informed after reading your reply and have decided to stick to SPF+
You're welcome! I learned a lot from that thread too. Brocade makes some really nice stuff. :)
Ruckus ACs enterprise.. but using at home haha. I have 2 of them and they can take up to 6000 devices each
YES! I love hearing about setups like this. :D

I run a watchguard M200 at my parents house--check out the ridiculous specs:
https://www.guardsite.com/Firebox-M200.asp?utm_term=watchguard m200&utm_campaign=WatchGuard+*185&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_tgt=kwd-151541246405&hsa_grp=40125298206&hsa_src=g&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_mt=e&hsa_ver=3&hsa_ad=189213539980&hsa_acc=9041622380&hsa_kw=watchguard m200&hsa_cam=1126590&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bfnkYLY5wIVjZ-zCh0ozQkfEAAYASAAEgIaMfD_BwE

When I can get gear like this for the same price as the top end robotic spider routers at Best Buy, it's no contest who wins out in that battle, haha. Enterprise @home FTW!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts