[SOLVED] Advice used enterprise switch for POE cameras and wifi ACs

Status
Not open for further replies.

alitechno

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2016
I have a bit of a wish list and I am totally clueless on which things to pay attention to.

I intend to use the switch for 4 PCs, 9 POE cameras, 3 wifi ACs and loads of wired peripherals such as smart light hubs, automation hubs etc. I'd like to go for 48 ports to ensure I dont need to worry about upgrading anytime soon.

On ebay, I can see a hundred options, of which I am not sure what to pick.

Here is the wishlist.

1. 48 ports
  2. Gigabit
  3. POE+
  4. Manageable depth as I will wall mount it facing the ports downward (some are super deep)
  5. 803.2at high power for the ACs
  6. Managed
  7. a couple of 10GB ports (not sfp) would be a nice to have
  8. Not hugely power hungry with multiple PSUs and fans blasting away (apart from the actual POE draw)

Any ideas on which older enterprise data center stuff I should consider? Anything I should look out for? I am not fussed about brands

Solution
You're not going to get 803.2at that's 48 ports that doesn't have fans and is semi-loud simply because there's a lot of power that's needed for that many poe ports. In addition, you're not going to find these with 10Gbase-T but spf slots instead. However there are rj45 spf units available decently cheap if you absolutely need rj45 for 10G. (I would simply use a dac if possible.)

Now, if you step down to 16 or 24 ports, you will have a lot less noise because the power demands are literally 1/4 or 1/2 of a 48 port. Plus, you can always add another switch when you do need the ports.

HP/Cisco/Avaya/and some other names I'm forgetting are great products that will last and last. I would avoid any brands that don't make high-end...
Watch out on the power usage of older models. You can find detailed specs on the manufacturers spec pages. Some of them can be pretty hefty. Enough so that one a few years newer can cover the cost difference in a year or less of power consumption.

I can't think of a specific model but when I was looking into used managed switches a couple years ago. I settled on Cisco.

Do consider SFP if IOPS are important. During my research. I found Fiber offered higher IOPS than 10 GbE if the server is using SSD.

You're not going to get 803.2at that's 48 ports that doesn't have fans and is semi-loud simply because there's a lot of power that's needed for that many poe ports. In addition, you're not going to find these with 10Gbase-T but spf slots instead. However there are rj45 spf units available decently cheap if you absolutely need rj45 for 10G. (I would simply use a dac if possible.)

Now, if you step down to 16 or 24 ports, you will have a lot less noise because the power demands are literally 1/4 or 1/2 of a 48 port. Plus, you can always add another switch when you do need the ports.

HP/Cisco/Avaya/and some other names I'm forgetting are great products that will last and last. I would avoid any brands that don't make high-end enterprise equipment as they will be just a little cheaper and not as reliable.

Solution
You have to look at the PoE power budget on the switch. On a 48 port switch that can put power out on even 1/2 the ports it take pretty large power supplies. Because of physical limitation with the size of the switch this tends to mean you need 2 power supplies. Being enterprise switches they tend to put in 3 and make them hot swapable since it is the power supply will fail if anything does. They also put out heat so you have lots of fans.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a bit of a wish list and I am totally clueless on which things to pay attention to.

I intend to use the switch for 4 PCs, 9 POE cameras, 3 wifi ACs and loads of wired peripherals such as smart light hubs, automation hubs etc. I'd like to go for 48 ports to ensure I dont need to worry about upgrading anytime soon.

On ebay, I can see a hundred options, of which I am not sure what to pick.

Here is the wishlist.

1. 48 ports
  2. Gigabit
  3. POE+
  4. Manageable depth as I will wall mount it facing the ports downward (some are super deep)
  5. 803.2at high power for the ACs
  6. Managed
  7. a couple of 10GB ports (not sfp) would be a nice to have
  8. Not hugely power hungry with multiple PSUs and fans blasting away (apart from the actual POE draw)

Any ideas on which older enterprise data center stuff I should consider? Anything I should look out for? I am not fussed about brands
Your "wishlist" is pretty big. What brand of APs are you using? The AP manufacturer probably has a switch. Same with the camera manufacturer.

alitechno

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2016
This is where I found the details of the switch I wanted.

Indeed, it seems like that.

SamirD your help is highly appreciated. I was a lot more informed after reading your reply and have decided to stick to SPF+
You're welcome! I learned a lot from that thread too. Brocade makes some really nice stuff. :)
Ruckus ACs enterprise.. but using at home haha. I have 2 of them and they can take up to 6000 devices each
YES! I love hearing about setups like this. :D

I run a watchguard M200 at my parents house--check out the ridiculous specs:
https://www.guardsite.com/Firebox-M200.asp?utm_term=watchguard m200&utm_campaign=WatchGuard+*185&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_tgt=kwd-151541246405&hsa_grp=40125298206&hsa_src=g&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_mt=e&hsa_ver=3&hsa_ad=189213539980&hsa_acc=9041622380&hsa_kw=watchguard m200&hsa_cam=1126590&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bfnkYLY5wIVjZ-zCh0ozQkfEAAYASAAEgIaMfD_BwE

When I can get gear like this for the same price as the top end robotic spider routers at Best Buy, it's no contest who wins out in that battle, haha. Enterprise @home FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS