Question Advise on upcoming upgrade

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Hello guys,

I'm planning to upgrade my PC to AMD and just wanted to check with you if what I have planned is okay, just you know I'm on the limit of my budget -

MoBo - Asus Z170 Pro - Intended MSi B450 Tomahawk
CPU - i5-6500 - Intended Ryzen 3600
RAM - 2x8GB 2400Mhz CAS Latency 15
PSU - Seasoninc SSR-650FX
GPU - 1070TI Palit Dual
Cooling - Scythe Fuma with two 140MM fans + two additional on the Case
Case - Fractal Design R5 Standard

The only issue that I have with that build is that the MSI MoBo does not have optical audio port and I would need to purchase Crative SoundBlaster Z as Audiocard

Thanks in advance

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Is this the current build and you want to know what you can keep?

Is this here the case?

You can keep the PSU, graphics card and the case. Not sure if the cooler is compatible with current AMD sockets. RAM would work but Ryzen chips really work better with faster RAM and 3000-3200Mhz is the sweet spot.

If you plan to get an older Ryzen compatible board with new Ryzen 3 CPUs you'd have to check on manufacturer website or seller if the motherboard comes with a Ryzen3-ready BIOS or not as you'd need an older Ryzen to update the BIOS to necessary version with some boards.

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Is this the current build and you want to know what you can keep?

Is this here the case?

You can keep the PSU, graphics card and the case. Not sure if the cooler is compatible with current AMD sockets. RAM would work but Ryzen chips really work better with faster RAM and 3000-3200Mhz is the sweet spot.

If you plan to get an older Ryzen compatible board with new Ryzen 3 CPUs you'd have to check on manufacturer website or seller if the motherboard comes with a Ryzen3-ready BIOS or not as you'd need an older Ryzen to update the BIOS to necessary version with some boards.

This is my current build and the components that I'm considering have been listed after the "Intended" mark, so for example I have I5-6500 and I intend to get AMD Ryzen 3600.

The components that do not have Intended are the ones that I plan to keep.

The link to the Case is the correct one.

Cooler needs a bracket but that's not an issue.

I changing the RAM is over my budget at the moment.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
This is my current build and the components that I'm considering have been listed after the "Intended" mark, so for example I have I5-6500 and I intend to get AMD Ryzen 3600.

The components that do not have Intended are the ones that I plan to keep.

The link to the Case is the correct one.

Cooler needs a bracket but that's not an issue.

I changing the RAM is over my budget at the moment.

Yeah I missed that sorry. That board as stated here needs BIOS E7C02AMS.180 and I think it can be flashed to the nrewer versions (if needed) with a USB and without CPUs. You can double check this with seller.

The RAM would be OK and run but that would kind of smother the CPU/board as Ryzen systems really come to life with faster RAM. However, later RAM upgrade would resolve this.

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
I strongly advise you to get the MAX version of the B450 Tomahawk, it has a larger BIOS chip so you will have a full graphical BIOS UI instead of the lite version being used on the Tomahawk Non-MAX version.
And with the larger BIOS chip future updates won't be an issue like they may be on the non-MAX Tomahawk.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/Overview

Is the Max version released, as I cannot find it in Bulgaria or Amazon De.

Also I'm at the maximum of my budget as I need to buy an audio-card because the Tomahawk does not have optic line-out so if you advise on more expensive MoBos please advise on ones with optic line-out