After a 16-year Run, Winamp to Shut Down Next Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Hmm, I use WinAmp most days to listen to my MP3s. What in the world do other people use to listen to music while working on their PC? Seriously. People who know better would rather be shot than install iTunes and that's not really a music player anyway. Winamp is perfect for what it does and the 6yr old version I have works as good as I would ever want it to. I'll be using WinAmp for another 10 years I'm sure.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I've been using WinAmp since around 1999 and still by far my favorite music player. I've tried Songbird, RealPlayer and others, but none had the playlist/media library setup I love with WinAmp. I hate iTunes and not just because it is an Apple product, but the whole interface (and install) is very difficult to use. I still have the WinAmp installer from when I put it on this computer this past summer, I have backed up it on a couple flash drives and my external hard drive.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
If they are shutting it down they should release the source code as open source so it can continue to be developed by the community.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Loved it early and then even more in college. Nothing better than throwing on some plug in visualizations and some great tunes and melting away.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Wow I didn't know this software still existed. I remember using this to listed my Napster downloads back in the dial up days. Then switched to realjukebox, then left realjukebox when they added realplayer to switch to WMP9. Now, I do not even listen to music on my computer. My phone takes care of that..

RIP. It was a long time coming

keigo_kanzaki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I regularly use Winamp too during browsing sessions, listening to classical or J-Pop radio from shoutcast. It still feels great.

Now after reading this news, I wonder if the shoutcast radio will also be turned off...

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
This is a total bummer! I use it to stream digital trance and techno and hard music, i rather do that then try to use pandora. I primarily use winamp while gaming. If they don't sell it, they should release it and someone should keep it alive as a free download. That would be awesome :)

gaborbarla

Distinguished
I installed it the other day and it was like a blast from 1997. I was really surprised how Windows media player has evolved since the 90s and Winamp haven't. I guess that is why they have to shut stuff down.
Ps. I used to love winamp in the 90s but now it just feels very outdated compared to the competition.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
The people who used winamp are in the 30s or 40s and don't care about music anymore. We are just realizing how much the music of today sucks and are tired of listening to songs from the 90s.

G

Well the last time I used Winamp it had live video streams tvstreams even movie streams(old classics), and beginner or amateur DJ's with a chat bar. You could search and browse inside the aplication for Winamp channels! Very entertaining I don't think it's included in XMMS.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I used to use Winamp, then it started crashing. Then when I switched to Windows 8 and wanted most of my software to be portable, I found that it had no portable version.

I tried Aimp3 portable and found it to have all the features of Winamp and is better in almost every possible way.

Status
Not open for further replies.