[SOLVED] After a motherboard short and failure, how can I tell if my RAM has been affected as well?

Koesherbacon

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
I recently had a motherboard short and crash that basically destroyed my computer. It won't turn on, even using the paperclip trick. The motherboard is fried and there's not really anything I can do about that. Anyway, what I'd like to know is in regard to the RAM that was installed at the time of the crash. So here are my qiestions:
  1. After a motherboard short and crash is RAM typically affected?
  2. If there's a chance it could have been, is there a way to tell if my RAM was destroyed as well?
  3. If so, how can I test whether or not the RAM is still functional? Keep in mind I can't turn on the computer so I can't run MemTest vial LiveUSB.
  4. Is there anything you'd like to share with me about this subject that I didn't ask in my previous questions?

Anything you'd like to share with me would be extremely helpful. Thanks so much!

Solution
The only real way to test if a component is functioning is to put it in a 'known' test environment, ie what the previous poster suggested about installing it in a known working system and go from there. The problem is that if the ram is what went bad and took out the motherboard, it could do the same for your 'known good' setup and then you have 2x problems versus one.
Oct 9, 2020
Hello,
Unfortunately i can't answer most of your questions, but you could try checking if your ram works by installing the sticks in another functional motherboard that supports them while also removing the existing ram sticks in that board to avoid mixing kits.
Unfortunately i don't know of any way to test ram sticks on a computer that does not turn on, you can try taking them to your local PC store and ask them to test them for you.
Cheers.

The only real way to test if a component is functioning is to put it in a 'known' test environment, ie what the previous poster suggested about installing it in a known working system and go from there. The problem is that if the ram is what went bad and took out the motherboard, it could do the same for your 'known good' setup and then you have 2x problems versus one.

Solution