After Amazing Earnings, is Apple Invincible?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Can someone please show me exactly where this "innovation" is that Apple keeps getting praised for? To create the iPhone, they added a microphone to the iPod Touch. SmartPhones existed long before this happened. They created a tablet, more than a decade after the "tablet" market first started and only after Microsoft showed off the first keyboard-exempt tablet. The only thing Apple does, is overcharge and file for patents so vague they actually cover how nearly every electronics device on the market works.[/citation]

I don't remember a multi-touch phone or tablet before the iPhone. Do you?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Apple goes as Steve Jobbs goes. Period. When he leaves, the company will implode. The reason is that he has built a company to suit his ego. He will make sure his successor is a timid puppet that will make the investors happy initially, but make the company crumble, much like what happened after Lee Iacoca left Chrysler... Iacoca put in a pathetic, timid replacement CEO to make himself look good. It lead to Diamler buying them out, and stripping them of their IP...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

No. But single-touch was fine, and I liked controlling my PDA with a stylus, not a finger. I still hate Apple for causing PDAs to die worldwide :D

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
It been funny reading the article then seeing all the frustrated Tom's members saying sh|t like, "Who's impressed with the iPad" when Apple can't even make enough iPads to feed the demand for them. Ha ha ha LOL!

Dumb-asses! People with the disposable income to buy whatever tech toy they want are who's impressed by the iPad... along with every other tech company out there who's making a copy-cat device to sell to those few frustrated suckers who desperately want one too but refuse to buy the 'Apple' product.
;)

I've used all sort of desktops/laptops/OSes/devices (Own: W7 gaming desktop, Lion MacBook Air, iPhone; Owned: Droid/Incredible, Linux netbooks, iPad) and don't have a clear favorite. I think most people (including myself) just hate what they hear from Apple - "magical", "revolutionary", etc. I don't view many of their products/updates as such, but I do believe them to be well thought-out and implemented.

Having the App Store's entire iPhone catalog available and compatible with the iPad 1 from Day 1 was huge - you could actually use programs you already had immediately, and all you needed to do was wait for an update, which would usually come due to the reason below.

Making the App Store profitable for developers also instilled a ton of interest in the OS; why else would anyone want to code for them if they wouldn't get anything satisfactory? Plus, Apple uses C-based languages, which are much easier to code in than Android's Java-based SDK.
I know many computer science and electrical engineering students at college who will code for iOS but not Android because the language is "clunky" (exact words) even though they're (CS moreso than EE) exceptionally proficient in both languages.

I'm not saying Apple's products are for every person or instance, or that they are even worth the money all the time, but usually you're buying more than just a device when you purchase an Apple product.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

That's the problem right here. I don't want to be buying more than the device itself + the OS that lets me use the device's hardware. Besides, it's not like all the stuff in the Apple App Store is included in the device's price.

And these developers are profiting from iZombies - shame upon them, as well. 7 years ago, who'd think that you could make money off the game as simple and crappy as Angry Birds? But here we go - millions of people are addicted to this junk. In fact, games like this are on top of the list of tasks tablets are used for.

What kind of "apps" would I want in the phone? Camera, video/music player, web browser, Skype client, file explorer, calculator, converter, alarm clock, and things that support/enhance connectivity (BT/Wi-Fi/HDMI/USB-on-the-Go/etc.). That's ALL. Maybe that's why Symbian was so great - nobody cared about stupid apps and looked at the actual hardware... Too bad Nokia stubbornly refused to go Android and killed itself - now I have to switch to Samsung.

And who said that iPhone runs faster than Android except for the most powerful Android dual-cores? Even if that'd be true, I have no problem with that, since most powerful Androids pack way more hardware and features than any iPhone and cost less (remember, USA is not the whole world...)

I've said it a few times before. The competition has yet to figure out how to make a proper commercial that makes sense to the masses. A quote from a verizon commercial went something like:

Salesperson: "your wife will appreciate the dual-core tegra 2 chipset..."

Uh-huh... they need to fire their ad agencies and get a clue. If they ever learn how to market their products, things will change. The hardware is good. The software is good. It's user-friendly. The cost is appropriate. So that leaves what then? I'm rooting for any and all Apple competitors for the sake of competition, better prices, better hardware, and better prices (hehe).

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Why should apple make this much money? What benefit does this have on us? bc they made an iphone 1 that had awfull battery life and sold it for 500 dollars to sheeps? its all the herd of sheeps fault stupid kids that keep bying apple products.

If this money were going to other companies that actually inovate and bring features to the whole word by competition and lowering prices to consumers. intel,amd , panasonic,sony ,samsung,nvidia. Samsung is actually doing huge inovations right now,they are the ones that deserve billions in profits due to sheeps ALONE ,Infact the Koreans are making better products than the Japanese atm for lower prices. Apple makes products at higher prices spends million on Advertisements and the herd of sheep go buy their new products for rediculous prices.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]Why should apple make this much money? What benefit does this have on us? bc they made an iphone 1 that had awfull battery life and sold it for 500 dollars to sheeps? its all the herd of sheeps fault stupid kids that keep bying apple products. If this money were going to other companies that actually inovate and bring features to the whole word by competition and lowering prices to consumers. intel,amd , panasonic,sony ,samsung,nvidia. Samsung is actually doing huge inovations right now,they are the ones that deserve billions in profits due to sheeps ALONE ,Infact the Koreans are making better products than the Japanese atm for lower prices. Apple makes products at higher prices spends million on Advertisements and the herd of sheep go buy their new products for rediculous prices.[/citation]

It is not a question of deserving anything. We are talking about business. Build a product, have a compelling message. Make your products work with other product you build. Samsung is not inovating, they make the best TV's out there, great phones and decent appliances but a large amount of their other products absolutely suck.

You guys all Apple's product overpriced. If you pay attention the reason why you think that the hardware is outdated and overpriced is that Apple does not change the prices as hardware improves. The release something that is cutting edge or close to it and don't change the price. Just update the hardware the following year. Then you guys come here screaming about how you can build the same thing for $350 bucks. I am sorry, how is a quad core machine with wireless keyboard and mouse with a solid aluminum encloser and a really nice IPS panel and a built in HD camera starting at $1200.00 sound overpriced not to mention that it comes with an operating system that has double digit virus/malicious applications written for it.

Mac Pro is a whole different story. Can you build a quad core 3.6ghz machine for less money sure. But you are not using server grade equipment. There is a price premium for that kind of stuff. I don't hear of anyone here on Toms talking about building 6,12,or 16 core machines. You can't call something overprice when you have not apples to apples basis for comparison.

Computers are devices that people spend allot of time on. What Apple has done a good job with is creating a ecosystem where all the thing that people use or need to do daily is done easy and works seemlesly and they do it in a package is built rock solid and with thoughful engineering. it is the accumilation of a bunch of small things that they do that makes it so appealing to people.

Apple is doing well for a reason, they provide, look, feel, usability, marketing, and ecosystem, stability and really solid customer service. They pay attention to the details, period. Are all their products perfect...no. But they just work and they are accessable.

Example.... vast majority of people on this site...clearly smart people, including myself that use Windows on their PC probably don't do regular incremental backups. Basic concept, we all know we should do them but we don't. why, cause Windows has not had a elegant backup solution since it's existance. Does it's backup solution works...sure. I am a network engineer and I can not even tell you how the restore works. Cause it is not in a place where would even thing to use it. Backups are not something that you should think about. It is something that just should be done. I doubt any of you would disagree with that. Apple provide timemachine built in, easy to use, easy to configure, easy to understand, and does it's thing automatically. It is no intrusive at all even though it is important. Again... small thoughful engineering. They spend the time to thinking about how people....no enthusiast... people use their computers and they make the experiance great.

I have yet to meet a single IT professional, Network engineer, Security Engineer, telephony engineer that has used both platforms and not leave liking Apples solution. Even the most hardend PC guy. When people try it, they stick. And that is why Apple has just past IBM in revenue.

Are they invincible...absolutely not but right now there is no one company that can dethrone them. They are firing on all cylinders.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Great success but not a lot of innovation, pretty much their entire current success is based on theft, breaking court agreements and settling out of court

Apple logo - stolen from the Beatles
iPhone - name stolen from Linksys
iPad - name stolen from Fujitsu
iPod menu - stolen from the Creative Zen
iTunes - shouldn't even exist, part of the courty settlement after stealing the Apple logo was that the Beatles never enter the computer business and Apple never enters the music business, they ignore the ruling, paid another settlement and carried on

The list goes on and on, but i'm sure you could easily find it all yourselves
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc._litigation
Theft, theft, theft

G

I hate it when people speak without actually using the product that they claim to hate. I think there is a large amount of jealousy among the people who don't use Apple products. They make good stuff, and it hurts me to see people hate something without using it for more than 5 minutes in a store.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Stoogie[/nom]Success of Apple in 1 sentence, Sell Stuff 80-110% overpriced, use False Marketing, Stimulate Religion into people's brains, take advantage of the 99% of Idiots who are Apple Customers. The world we live in is full of idiots![/citation]

If only it where that easy, dozens of others would have copied it already.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation]Before anyone makes a stupid comment about how iOS kicks ass and Android sucks, let me tell you this: I pay for HARDWARE. [/citation]

This is the problem that the Apple haters fail to realize. MOST of the world DOES NOT pay for hardware specs (Im not talking about Toms readers, sure they pay for SPECS), but the other 99% of the world pays for functionality or at least perceived functionality, and Apple has done a better job of marketing a product to those users than anyone else.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]I don't remember a multi-touch phone or tablet before the iPhone. Do you?[/citation]
Multi-Touch screens did exist prior to the iPhone/iPod/iPad though...so, no innovation there.

[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]I think most people (including myself) just hate what they hear from Apple - "magical", "revolutionary", etc.[/citation]
No, I just hate the fact that instead of actually trying to compete...Apple files patent infringement suits based on patents that are so vague they can be applied to the majority of products people use in their every day lives, and requests cease and desist orders to block any competition.

[citation][nom]artanis9652[/nom]I hate it when people speak without actually using the product that they claim to hate. I think there is a large amount of jealousy among the people who don't use Apple products. They make good stuff, and it hurts me to see people hate something without using it for more than 5 minutes in a store.[/citation]
You're generalizing too much. Apple sells the same hardware that Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq, Medion, etc sell.....for, in some cases, twice as much while claiming their quality is vastly superior. I probably used my first Apple product before half the people on this site were even born. In fact, it was an Apple II, followed by an Apple IIe, Apple IIgs, Macintosh (the original), PowerMac, Classic Macintosh and iMac. Quite frankly, none of them ever impressed me. I actually considered buying a Power Mac G4 until I saw the insane price tag(which is exactly why most people will never buy Apple products). Finding out that I couldn't use broadband with an Apple computer didn't exactly help persuade me to buy the Power Mac G4 either....there was no Apple compatible version of the ISP's login software available at the time. Hell, I've actually been considering a refurbed iBook and an AppleTV device....

G

My 2009 N900 actually beat the Iphone 4 (while the N900 was full of junk and the Iphone4 right out of the box) in terms of speed and applicatons.
My workstation vs an apple with egual or greater specs gets better performance in benchmarks and realworld applications (about 15% extra).
The only thing keeping Apple alive is sony's design and Asus's parts and I wouldn't be surprised if the whole www.sony-microsoft.com would be real.
Just as Adobe-MS and Nokia-MS.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Again, for the most part I notice even here with some of the iDrones defending Apple, that it is mainly PERCEPTION that sells what Apple produces NOT performance, innovation, or even usability.

Status
Not open for further replies.