Question After installing new SSD and monitor PC crashes with black screen 50/50 after startup, otherwise it runs completely fine.

Feb 27, 2023
Okay, about 1-2 years ago I installed an extra screen and nvme ssd. Since then my pc just started to crash randomly after startups. I think it’s about 50/50 if it crashes or not, let me describe: Once I start my pc everything is fine, but 99% of the time if it crashes it is within 15 min of starting the pc. Sometimes The screen freezes for a quick moment then goes black and then comes back on with the amd bug report tool that the software had detected a driver timeout.

Then within 5-10 min the pc fully crashes as follows: I usually start google chrome first so this is where it usually crashes. I can’t really remember if it crashes when I start a game for example because 99% of the time I start chrome first. So first, google freezes, I can still move the mouse and the taskbar for like 3-5 seconds. Then the whole screen freezes. Then the screen goes black (No signal). Audio remains playing but a few seconds later the audio starts to sound disrupted as if it got stuck and/or on a loop.

At that point, something in my pc also starts to sound like it got stuck. It sounds like my hard drive is skipping or something like that but I am not sure. Everything else in my pc seems to be running fine, all fans are spinning and my rgb ram is also still lighting up.

About 60-70% of the time only the second part happens. The best way to fix it then which I have found is to press the reset button on my pc after my pc has fully crashed. After I do that, the pc is running fine and doesn’t crash anymore 99% of the time, I think it only crashed once or twice after I pressed the reset button.

My pc has done some weirder things, but this doesn’t happen often. Like today I first got the amd bug report tool popup out of nowhere twice, then a good 30-60 min later when I switched to a youtube tab on chrome the screens went black and only my left screen turned back on, and out of nowhere, the whole graphics drivers were gone. Graphic drives randomly being gone after some bug/crash has happened probably about 5 times now.

I have also tried to just press the reset button after startup since that seems to work after a crash, but this resulted once in a blue screen so I stopped with it after a few times.

And some other weird things have happened like when I tried to shut down my pc I got an error message on the shutting down screen that something was wrong or missing. But these things don’t happen often.

I have tried fully wiping the drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), but that didn't work. I have tried disconnecting the second screen. But it still crashed. I have also reinstalled the gpu and the nvme ssd but it still crashes. And in the year I have googled quite a bit so I have tried a few other things I can’t remember. But till today nothing has worked for me.

If anyone can help me or know the answer it would be really appreciated because I am done with it especially since I know the pc can run fine and work well if it didn’t crash on startup or after I have pressed the reset button

I have attached a picture of the amd bug report tool, also one with an extra popup that has appeared only a few times. Also one picture of the error message on the shutting down screen. And last I have a video of the sound my pc makes after it crashed. (I think the hard drive is making the sound)

PC specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
OS Build 19045.2604
System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical
Motherboard Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
Ram/Memory Predator RGB, 16 GB (2x 8 GB), DDR4-2933, HyperX (KHX2933C15D4/8GX)
GPU Radeon RX 580 Series (VRAM 8192 MB GDDR5 2000 MHz)

Disks:
Disk1(Windows installed) Kingston A400 480GB (KINGSTON SA400S37480G)
Disk2 WD Blue 3,5” 1TB (WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0)
Disk3 Kingston NV1 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe (KINGSTON SNVS200 SCSI Disk Device)

Both Monitors AOC 24G1WG4
Power Supply Corsair TX550M
Link to photos and videos: View: https://imgur.com/a/UKUy7XM

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023
My Bios version=
American Megatrends Inc. 2202, 14-7-2020

And I have no Idea how to find the chipset version, but I can always update it to the latest version
I will try updating them thanks