Question After moving, PC has (re)booting issues

VenomRaven

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
Hi there.
I have a prebuilt machine from about 7 years ago. A few days ago I moved house I've had issues with random reboots since.

As soon as I got to the new place the machine wouldn't boot at all. It made beeping noises as if there was a hardware error.
I swapped out the PSU with an identical one and it worked, but eventually it started rebooting (which was why it was swapped out). So I put the main one back in, but the rebooting continued.
At the moment it seems to boot fine. But it will randomly reboot for no reason. Graphically intensive games don't seem to effect the booting.
Sometimes its fine for a few hours, other times its less than 10 minutes repeatedly. Overall it seems random

(On different note: a slightly different situation was this morning, after several minutes of being on, it then gets stuck in a boot loop until I turn it off, turn it on again, then it was fine for a while until the whole process repeated itself.)

At the moment I've cycled my ram out and with this one stick it hasn't crashed in a couple of hours.
A friend also lend me their ram to try next time it reboots which I will try out.

Ram slot 4 seems to be "bad". At a friends request I tried using slot 2 and 4 (instead of 2 and 3) and the computer wouldn't boot at all with a ram stick in slot 4.

Does anyone know what else to try if the RAM makes no difference?
Are there any simple tests I can run to diagnose the issue?
Rebooting definitely was an issue in the past, but when I swapped the ram out of slot 4 into slot 3 previously, it seemed to fix the issue mostly.

There was also a small amount metallic silver powder/small near the PSU which seemed odd.
At first I was tempted to buy a third power supply, but it seems unlikely that two power supplies have exactly the same issue with them.
This machine has actually had 3 power supplies, which seems a lot for 7 or 8 years of ownership.

Here are my specs:
Asus Z97 Pro Gamer (latest BIOS)
Nvidea GTX 980
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Hyper X beast Ram (currently installed only 8GB)
Corsair 650w i power supply
Windows 10

Happy to provide any more information if I missed anything
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi there.
I have a prebuilt machine from about 7 years ago. A few days ago I moved house I've had issues with random reboots since.

As soon as I got to the new place the machine wouldn't boot at all. It made beeping noises as if there was a hardware error.
I swapped out the PSU with an identical one and it worked, but eventually it started rebooting (which was why it was swapped out). So I put the main one back in, but the rebooting continued.
At the moment it seems to boot fine. But it will randomly reboot for no reason. Graphically intensive games don't seem to effect the booting.
Sometimes its fine for a few hours, other times its less than 10 minutes repeatedly. Overall it seems random

(On different note: a slightly different situation was this morning, after several minutes of being on, it then gets stuck in a boot loop until I turn it off, turn it on again, then it was fine for a while until the whole process repeated itself.)

At the moment I've cycled my ram out and with this one stick it hasn't crashed in a couple of hours.
A friend also lend me their ram to try next time it reboots which I will try out.

Ram slot 4 seems to be "bad". At a friends request I tried using slot 2 and 4 (instead of 2 and 3) and the computer wouldn't boot at all with a ram stick in slot 4.

Does anyone know what else to try if the RAM makes no difference?
Are there any simple tests I can run to diagnose the issue?
Rebooting definitely was an issue in the past, but when I swapped the ram out of slot 4 into slot 3 previously, it seemed to fix the issue mostly.

There was also a small amount metallic silver powder/small near the PSU which seemed odd.
At first I was tempted to buy a third power supply, but it seems unlikely that two power supplies have exactly the same issue with them.
This machine has actually had 3 power supplies, which seems a lot for 7 or 8 years of ownership.

Here are my specs:
Asus Z97 Pro Gamer (latest BIOS)
Nvidea GTX 980
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Hyper X Ram (currently installed)
Corsair 650w i power supply
Windows 10

Happy to provide any more information if I missed anything
Thanks.
checked the socket pins for cpu if there is any bent pins? you might want to allign it correctly. also clean the ram contacts, and blow the ram slots from dust and see if it could fix the problem.

VenomRaven

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
So I tried my friends ram out, and this morning I got the same problem I had yesterday morning with the reboot, then failing to boot until I turn it off and on again.

Thanks for the response @Koekieezz . I'll have a look at CPU next reboot.

VenomRaven

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
Well I tried applying new thermal paste to the CPU as it wouldn't boot at all for a couple of days. That fixed that issue.
But now I'm still where I was. Like it reboots A LOT. Especially when cold. Then after like 8 reboots or something it seems to stabilize.

Anyone have any ideas?
I've cleaned out the fans and even took out the CMOS chip. I also tried taking out the mechanical HD to see if that was causing the issue - but no dice.
Just annoying because it seems quite random yet persistent.

Last edited: