Question After overclock failiure, PC only boots off 1 ram stick

Mar 4, 2019
Apologies if this is something obvious, it's my first time messing around inside my PC and I'm basically going off what I've found through the threads here.

So I was having CPU temperature problems, I used OC Genie to downclock my system, still heat problems. Discovered the heat sink was seated incorrectly, fixed that, temp problems went away. I went into the bios, turned OC Genie back on. Now the PC wouldn't post. Removed cmos battery, no change. Removed cmos battery for longer and removed 3 sticks of RAM per a friends suggestion, success! I booted using default settings, then tried cycling my RAM sticks one at a time, two of them would not boot by themselves. Tried booting with the two working sticks together, no go. Do I just need new RAM or is there a bios setting to add more?

Mar 4, 2019
CPU: i7 5820K 3.3 GHz
Motherboard: MSI X99a Raider
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4/2133mhz Quad Channel Memory (HyperX Predator w/Heat Spreader)
SSD/HDD: 240 GB Kingston V300 SSD / 2TB HDD
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
PSU: Corsair 750 Watts CX750
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D

No my RAM is all identical, and have had this build with no problems for 3 years now.

Jun 17, 2024
I had the same problem after updating my heatsink from stock to a newer one. Wouldn't let me boot up with two ram sticks. Went from upping the voltage for my RAM, which solved the problem for a short time, until it almost fried my slots and I was back to zero. Then I just re-seated the damn thing and now it works. IS THIS SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN EVERYTIME WE MESS WITH THE HEATSINK?? Please, can anyone tell me why this happens?