[SOLVED] After recently updating my hardware, continuous blackscreens and random crashes

Mar 27, 2021
Hi everyone, thanks for coming to help
here are my specs:
Computer Type: Desktop
GPU: 1650GTX 4GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte b450m gaming
BIOS Version: F51
RAM: 16GB Viper steel 3600MHZ
PSU: Seasonic 12 430 Watt BRONZE
Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO latest version
GPU Drivers: 461.92

I have been getting constant crashes since I built this new rig. It all started with me playing Valorant (with integrated anti-cheat in kernel called Vanguard), it crashed Midgame. Then followed by another crash (days later) when I was simply shutting off the game.
In both I found a matching error in my event log called "
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine exception
Error Type: Cache hierarchy error
Processor APIC ID: 0
"
Followed by two errors literally flooding the event log, one was related to browser service process not running ( I simply went and disabled it ) and the other is related to ID code 10016 with app ID (15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402)

Now I got a crash while watching anime on a browser, which should be a very simple task, and another while closing the game again. Total of 4 crashes.

What I have done just recently before posting this thread to check for possible errors and crashes is the following:
  1. Lower CPU voltage to constant 1.3V using Ryzen Master.
  2. Turn off C-state in bios.
  3. Turn off Power optimization.
  4. Switch to power management mode.
  5. All my drivers are check to be up to date except the Bios, I am not sure if I should update mine to F60, someone told me it isn't for my processor type.
  6. Will watch anime again to see if the error reproduces.

Last edited:
Solution
  1. Track down all event logs "Critical/errors" and try to fix them all, especially the tasks that fail to launch like "browser" which I had to disable.

Don't be too concerned with chasing down all event log critical errors. Many happen by design and some relate to operating modes an isolated home PC might not be concerned about. When Windows experiences a problem it just throws the error you see in the event log then tries a different way and succeeds or shuts down a service; that's the way Windows works now. That 'Browser' problem is probably the Computer Browser service that enables browsing other computers on a network domain. Unless running on a network with a domain controller and a several other...
You upgraded your system. Did you reinstall Windows or are you still using the same OS as before the upgrade? If you upgraded the motherboard and the CPU you need a clean OS install on that system.

How old is that Seasonic S12II-430W? Pretty old model PSU. Model was first released in 2012.

Mar 27, 2021
You upgraded your system. Did you reinstall Windows or are you still using the same OS as before the upgrade? If you upgraded the motherboard and the CPU you need a clean OS install on that system.

How old is that Seasonic S12II-430W? Pretty old model PSU. Model was first released in 2012.
I reinstalled Win10 clean on new bought Evo870 SSD.
And I don't know how old is S12, but it is old and it is still very efficient and powerful as far as I have read.

Mar 27, 2021
Download and run memtest from a boot usb/cd. Use the older one and let it run all night. If it has errors, it's a hardware issue with the ram, cpu, or motherboard.
I have done 4/4 passes with 0 errors, watched it for 3 hours and now what should I do?

I have done 4/4 passes with 0 errors, watched it for 3 hours and now what should I do?
Precisely which B450m gaming motherboard do you have? For the B450m gaming-pro the only BIOS I find close to F51 BIOS is a version 1F2 and that's built for Ryzen 5000 processors and doesn't support a 1st gen processor.

At the very least reset CMOS and make no changes in BIOS, install chipset drivers you get from the AMD support web site:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Run it for a while like that before going into BIOS and enabling XMP for your memory.

The windows error log entries with ID 10016 can be ignored, it's a very common error and typical of windows' operation. Basically it will try to do something and find it can't so it throws that error and then tries to do it another way whereupon it succeeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSoF
Mar 27, 2021
I have reversed back the clocking to default + reverted back 1.3 V to Auto.
I turned Idle PSU control in BIOS to Typical/Common state instead of Auto.

Mar 27, 2021
Precisely which B450m gaming motherboard do you have? For the B450m gaming-pro the only BIOS I find close to F51 BIOS is a version 1F2 and that's built for Ryzen 5000 processors and doesn't support a 1st gen processor.

At the very least reset CMOS and make no changes in BIOS, install chipset drivers you get from the AMD support web site:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Run it for a while like that before going into BIOS and enabling XMP for your memory.

The windows error log entries with ID 10016 can be ignored, it's a very common error and typical of windows' operation. Basically it will try to do something and find it can't so it throws that error and then tries to do it another way whereupon it succeeds.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-GAMING-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
This is the motherboard I am talking about.
And I don't think doing what you have suggested would help, I have already encountered the problem even after I did CMOS and new windows installation (had to CMOS because my keyboard was launching after bios for some reason). So I prefer to test the new BIOS tweaks regarding shutting off some settings that were for some reason agreed on forums that they cause trouble.

Also, would you please check the link above and tell me what do you think about the drivers there? Like what should I do ? My current version is F51, and there are two more which are F52 and F60. Do you still think I should download the B450 (NOT gaming) from the link you've provided above?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-GAMING-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
Also, would you please check the link above and tell me what do you think about the drivers there? Like what should I do ? My current version is F51, and there are two more which are F52 and F60. Do you still think I should download the B450 (NOT gaming) from the link you've provided above?
Your initial post says it's an MSI motherboard, but for the Gigabyte board (above) F51 should be a good version for your 1600, especially if it's an 'AF' processor built on a Zen+ die.

The link I provided is for chipset drivers irrespective of board manufacturer. It's provided by AMD and supports all B450 chipsets and all processors that work with B450 chipsets on any AM4 socketed motherboard. I do think it's good advice to download and install as it's the only way to be sure you're getting the latest from AMD. And you also don't have to worry about the spamware, scamware and bloatware that often comes bundled in with downloads from motherboard manufacturers.

EDIT: oh, and the crashing while watching videos in the browser could be related to video drivers for your GPU. You might try uninstalling them, then cleaning up with DDU followed by reinstalling video drivers. And the idea behind resetting CMOS is to correct illogical settings that may be causing problems. It's fairly straightforward way to do it and often fixes problems. Your system should operate stable after doing that even if not at optimal performance. Once you know it's stable then start tweaking for performance.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021
Your initial post says it's an MSI motherboard, but for the Gigabyte board (above) F51 should be a good version for your 1600, especially if it's an 'AF' processor built on a Zen+ die.

The link I provided is for chipset drivers irrespective of board manufacturer. It's provided by AMD and supports all B450 chipsets and all processors that work with B450 chipsets on any AM4 socketed motherboard. I do think it's good advice to download and install as it's the only way to be sure you're getting the latest from AMD. And you also don't have to worry about the spamware, scamware and bloatware that often comes bundled in with downloads from motherboard manufacturers.

EDIT: oh, and the crashing while watching videos in the browser could be related to video drivers for your GPU. You might try uninstalling them, then cleaning up with DDU followed by reinstalling video drivers. And the idea behind resetting CMOS is to correct illogical settings that may be causing problems. It's fairly straightforward way to do it and often fixes problems. Your system should operate stable after doing that even if not at optimal performance. Once you know it's stable then start tweaking for performance.
You are very helpful, thank you so much.
So, I edited my post to fix this misinformation about MSI, and I also will download the AMD b450 chipset support and see if it does anything.
Regarding the GPU I will give it a check, but I doubt the drivers are in anyway the problem as this problem only happened once, and after the PC restarted I simply watched few episodes without any problem at all!!!
as for CMOS, as I said I did do it and the base setting on which I installed windows 10 were there when the two latest crashes happened, that's why I think tweaking the setting might provide a more stable performance.
I have only disabled as I said what many people with similar crashes have found to be the cause of crashing for some reason.

I will give it a test for few days along with GPU testing and see if the PC is stable and FPS is too, if so I will keep it that way. If I get another crash I will probably have to reverse the settings back to normal on BIOS.

What do you think?

Mar 27, 2021

After installing the AMD b450 drivers, what power plan should I use to achieve stable performance across all tasks (I am currently on Windows 10 Balanced).
also, should I really keep Ryzen master software to make sure my processor is up-to-date? Can't I uninstall it and check manually somewhere?
thank you

I never use Ryzenmaster as it's really a utility meant for extreme overclockers so can't say if it's worthwhile keeping it for what you want. Since it's put out by AMD I'm pretty sure it would only help with keeping chipset drivers up to date anyway. They are easy enough to check at that website link I gave above so why bother with a burdensome utility. Lastly, if you have to ask about it I assume you're not an 'extreme overclocker' so uninstall it.

Also, once you've got yourself up to date there's probably not much point in tracking real closely for changes as your CPU (1st gen) is pretty well deprecated by now. That means future changes will really be aimed at optimizing 5000 processors, or less so for 3000 on B450 boards. But if you become aware of a security exploit affecting AMD CPU's you might want to check for BIOS and chipset driver updates.

I'd say use the Ryzen Balanced plan as it's built for Ryzen processors' unique boosting and C-state characteristics. Ryzen's aggressively boost individual cores with light threaded loads and just as aggressively drop individual cores into C6 deep sleep states for energy savings. When monitoring CPU core clocks and voltage it may appear frenetic; it is but it's perfectly normal. But then again, you've a 1st gen CPU so it's less important. For 2nd and 3rd gen it is significant and definitely preferred.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021
I never use Ryzenmaster as it's really a utility meant for extreme overclockers so can't say if it's worthwhile keeping it for what you want. Since it's put out by AMD I'm pretty sure it would only help with keeping chipset drivers up to date anyway. They are easy enough to check at that website link I gave above so why bother with a burdensome utility. Lastly, if you have to ask about it I assume you're not an 'extreme overclocker' so uninstall it.

Also, once you've got yourself up to date there's probably not much point in tracking real closely for changes as your CPU (1st gen) is pretty well deprecated by now. That means future changes will really be aimed at optimizing 5000 processors, or less so for 3000 on B450 boards. But if you become aware of a security exploit affecting AMD CPU's you might want to check for BIOS and chipset driver updates.

I'd say use the Ryzen Balanced plan as it's built for Ryzen processors' unique boosting and C-state characteristics. Ryzen's aggressively boost individual cores with light threaded loads and just as aggressively drop individual cores into C6 deep sleep states for energy savings. When monitoring CPU core clocks and voltage it may appear frenetic; it is but it's perfectly normal. But then again, you've a 1st gen CPU so it's less important. For 2nd and 3rd gen it is significant and definitely preferred.
Alright, thank you so much. Will switch to Windows Power plan and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021
So, since Monday, I can say that I have stable performance "so far" and 0 crashes "so far".
What I have done:
  1. Track down all event logs "Critical/errors" and try to fix them all, especially the tasks that fail to launch like "browser" which I had to disable.
  2. Test my rams with memtest "all pass", test my CPU with prime for 2H, and I don't see a reason to test my GPU yet.
  3. Downloaded Ryzen b450 drivers.
  4. in Bios turned off Performance boost for CPU, and C - state, and switched PSU Idle to Typical.
  5. I find this one VERY IMPORTANT, DO NOT RELY ON RYZEN POWER PLANS, since 2019 all of their features have been already added to windows 10. I switched from balanced or energy plans to Windows 10 PERFORMANCE plan.
So far, I can say that everything is going fine, I didn't even close my computer, I played Valorant and shutted it down to recreate the problem, nothing yet. I also watched multiple videos to create low task / processing AFTER High task / processing, which were usually where I got my crashes.

Will keep you guys updated in next Monday.

Last edited:

Don't be too concerned with chasing down all event log critical errors. Many happen by design and some relate to operating modes an isolated home PC might not be concerned about. When Windows experiences a problem it just throws the error you see in the event log then tries a different way and succeeds or shuts down a service; that's the way Windows works now. That 'Browser' problem is probably the Computer Browser service that enables browsing other computers on a network domain. Unless running on a network with a domain controller and a several other discoverable computers (servers) you'll probably not have much need for it.

I personally use a custom power plan put out by 1Usmus. His custom Ryzen plans really help my 3700X boost more aggressively. That improves light threaded performance for CB20 and CB23 and I also get better gaming performance with more stable frames. It doesn't do much for heavy threaded performance but at least it doesn't hurt it.

DO keep in mind turning off performance boost simply kills the processor performance while turning off C-States means the processor can never drop cores into C6 'deep sleep' to save energy. Ironically, those actions are working against each other from energy conservation perspective: while one means the processor never works at a high performance/high power level the other means the processor never puts cores into advanced power saving states it's specifically designed for. I'm not really sure what you're about by all this but there are better ways to achieve low energy consumption without gimping performance so heavily.

Last edited:
Solution