AGP OR PCI??

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seeknpeace

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Currently I am reactivating a computer whose CPU went out. I had it replaced but just have drug my feet on getting it functional again. I noted in my bios settings that I have a choice of AGP ON Board or PCI for my video setting. I have an older model AMD video card right now, it is a Radeon x850. I plan to upgrade all of this, the card, windows from media ctr xp to windows 7 (maybe), etc. but for now, I cannot get the stupid drivers for the video card to install. When I tried, knowing that Radeon on this older model required complete removal of their software to update to newer drivers (I hate that) when I installed the last legacy vs of drivers for this video card I could only get to a black screen. I could not rectify it so I had to do a system recovery so that I could deal with this. My question is, should this setting in bios be for the AGP On Board or for PCI? It is set at PCI and I wonder if that is the problem. Thx.

seeknpeace

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

I will certainly try all of this when I get back into town and start anew, thank you again so much. I have gone down in the drivers, backward in age of issue, and am not quite to 9.3 yet. The thing is that I had updated all the way to 10-2 and it was working I just wanted to be sure that I had the latest. Dumb move on my part. I have seen so many computer ppl say don't update if you are doing ok, I think they are right.