AGP, PCI, PCI Express, not sure what I've got

Antwon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I'm planning on buying a new video card but I'm not sure what type of slots I've got on my motherboard. Is there any way to identify if a slot is AGP, PCI, PCI express x1, or PCI express x16? My motherboard is an ABIT IC7-G MAXII, I got it about two years ago.
Also, would it be worth it to go ahead and get a new motherboard as well so that I can get a PCI x16 card if my board can't handle it?

DuncanHynes

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
AGP according to this page http://www.abit-usa.com/news/2003/20030506.php

Features 9.5 - With the IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE you'll get just about everything you need to get the job done. 4 USB Ports (2 additional via hookup), 1 Firewire (2 additional via hookup) Parallel, Serial, 6-Channel Audio, Onboard Gigabit LAN with PS/2 and Keyboard inputs you really can't go wrong. Pack that in with 5 PCI slots, AGP, 2 IDE, Floppy and onboard Onboard Native SATA, for the price, you simply couldn't ask for more.

DuncanHynes

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
As far as upgrading...what do you have now for the CPU and memory and what is your current vid card? If you were to get a new mainboard you're talking DDR2 memory as opposed to just DDR...a CPU (gotta get C2Duo!) and a nice PCIE card and right now the 2 choices are a cheap DX9 card, say the 7600GT to tide you over till option 2 is a DX10 card but they are more and games don't support DX10. Depends what games you play too and what res you are pushing. How much performance do you want to get out of how much are you willing to spend. Good Luck

Antwon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Alright, that says 5 PCI slots too. So it looks like no PCI express, which is what I expected. Do PCI express video cards work in PCI slots poorly, or is it simply incompatible? Either way, would it be worth it for me to buy a new motherboard for a new PCI express x16 video card? It looks like I'll need to get new ram too, mine is 184-pin and it looks like most motherboards now just take 240-pin.

Antwon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Right now I've got a pentium 4 2.4C, GeForce FX5700LE, and 3 sticks of 512MB DDR 400 ram. I'm looking at a Radeon X1950 video card.
Right now I just play WoW (not terribly graphically intensive, I know) and my resolution is 1280 x 1024.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Do PCI express video cards work in PCI slots poorly, or is it simply incompatible?
They are completely different physically.

AGP Platform Analysis, Part 1: New Cards, Old System
Have you read this yet?

Also, take one of the three 512MB sticks out so you can run in dual channel memory mode, most likely the two blue slots.
Better for performance.

Looks like AGP cards are really expensive, they want about $170 for a 7600GT and I just got a PCIe 7600GT for around $113 with a rebate. I wouldn't put too much into the card if you're likely to upgrade in a year to a year and half you won't be able to use the card regardless if you Intel or AMD

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Looks like AGP cards are really expensive, they want about $170 for a 7600GT and I just got a PCIe 7600GT for around $113 with a rebate.
While I didn't suggest a certain card, buying an AGP card is cheaper than buying a complete new system.

In Australia, while they might cost more than other places, the AGP & PCI-E cards cost about the same when they are released.

I wouldn't put too much into the card if you're likely to upgrade in a year to a year and half you won't be able to use the card regardless if you Intel or AMD
One good card for a year to a year & 1/2 is still good value, IMO.
It still leaves you with a complete system that can be handed down or sold.

TRENDING THREADS