Ahci No hard disk is detected!

silkysmooth1029

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Turned on my computer to an error saying Ahci no hard disk detected followed by a black screen with a flashing underscore. I went into my bios and my ssd with windows loaded is not present

I have a Asus p8p67 sabertooth MB and an OCz vertex 2 SSD

Amateur Computer Builder

It could be an issue with the controller on the ssd; one way around it is to load windows in "native ide" mode which is just as fast, but no trim support. I had that same problem with the ocz agility 3 and an old foxconn am3 board, which didn't recognize the sandforce controller in achi mode. Other possiblity is to load for ssd bios update on ocz website. I couldn't get mine to run no matter what, but didn't need it with my new board. To use the update, boot with another drive and then connect the ssd which windows will set up as a secondary drive. Download the update program off ocz's website and unzip it. This program will erase all the current data. Then you'll have to unplug the ssd, and plug it back in to trigger the upgrade. http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_2,_Vertex_LE,_Agility_2/. There's a disclaimer when using Intel achi drivers, so try it when your system is in "native ide" mode.

silkysmooth1029

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Ive tried booting in ide mode already and it still wouldn't go pass the black screen. You said I would loose all data on the ssd? There is no way of getting around that?

No, only in AHCI mode. Try to do as o1die says.U can try to reset the BIOS.

You can clone the ide files to the ssd if needed or vice-versa. If the ide still boots to windows with an old windows installation, let windows try to re-configure the drivers to the new board. When maxblast clones a drive, it moves the windows files directly to the new drive which you can make the main boot device. After cloning, I disconnect the secondary drive before rebooting or simply move the ide drive jumper to the "slave" position to make it the secondary drive.