News AI may eventually consume a quarter of America's power by 2030, warns Arm CEO

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
It's the quarter of jobs that AI will eventually consume that occupies my thoughts.

Not the power generation. When we start having brown outs, they'll build more nuke stations. People won't put up with the brown outs. That's simple.

It's the job losses. The job losses.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What ever will those poor typewriter mechanics do?

People will find new work if they have to. Smart companies will retrain personnel to expand their business.

My only concern would be not having the safety net of employee insurance in the US during any transitional period. With universal healthcare one of the big reasons to not start a small business would go away.

And the eventual path that seems most logical is always basic living stipends. If you displace too much of the workforce the economy will crash. So basically that means higher tax rates for companies that utilize AI to offset the lack of income taxes. As long as the businesses are still making more off of AI then they would a human worker they should be happy.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
"An IEA Electricity 2024 report warns that ChatGPT requests costs nearly 10 times more than a Google search in power"

And ten times more useful than a trashy, ad-steered Google search.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
"An IEA Electricity 2024 report warns that ChatGPT requests costs nearly 10 times more than a Google search in power"

And ten times more useful than a trashy, ad-steered Google search.
Kind of why I stopped using Google search years ago. The bias and adds were to annoying to put up with.

Oct 13, 2023
"Without great improvements to efficiency and/or greatly increased government regulation, Rene declares the current trend is "hardly very sustainable," and he might be correct."
-- He is right. And there is a disclaimer in the article. But because of the disclaimer, I am not concerned about the trend.

We've got a new "NPU" chip race. If the NPU's double in speed every year like the similar trendline for GPUs, max potential 2^8=256x efficiency improvement over the next decade.... then there is nothing to worry about. Power consumption could even decrease from what it is now.
They say microsoft is currently losing money with the current AI model... that will self-correct over time... but is also a reason the trend may not continue at the current rate of exponential growth.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
"Without great improvements to efficiency and/or greatly increased government regulation, Rene declares the current trend is "hardly very sustainable," and he might be correct."
-- He is right. And there is a disclaimer in the article. But because of the disclaimer, I am not concerned about the trend.

We've got a new "NPU" chip race. If the NPU's double in speed every year like the similar trendline for GPUs, max potential 2^8=256x efficiency improvement over the next decade.... then there is nothing to worry about. Power consumption could even decrease from what it is now.
They say microsoft is currently losing money with the current AI model... that will self-correct over time... but is also a reason the trend may not continue at the current rate of exponential growth.
That doesn't quite equate to web searches though. They would not be locally run. No client can handle that much data. AI model training will also still be done at the data center. It will only be fixed function AI being run on the local machine.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
I am sure AI will be able to help us develop free and safe sources of energy, so we mortals can enjoy our days at the beach while AI does all the work and creates all our goods.

It will be a bright future, right?

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I have a hard believing ChatGPT is 10x more power a Google search. Maybe just the actual search result, but then I usually open 3-5 tabs from the results. I feel those webservers, plus all the ad servers they call, likely add up to more power than a GPT result.