Question AI Suite 3 fan configuration

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
My 3 front fans are plugged into Chassis Fan 2 port on my Motherboard, but within AI Suite 3 it is read as "N/A", (see attached image).

7PNDMxJ.jpg

This is a problem as I can turn all the other fans down by clicking "Silent mode" on there respective tabs, (Chassis Fan 1 & 3)... but with "Chassis Fan 2" being the only one with a grayed out "N/A"... I'm guessing there's a problem there?

How can I fix this, as the 3 fans are just running full speed. How do I get rid of the grayed out "N/A" on Chassis Fan 2 and gain control of the fans?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Try running just 1 fan from the header, without the splitter. If it works, then it's a splitter problem. If it doesn't work, then either the industrial fan isn't compatible OR you have a faulty header.

Try plugging in the fan currently working on Chassis Fan 1 into Chassis Fan 2 header to eliminate that possibility.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Try running just 1 fan from the header, without the splitter. If it works, then it's a splitter problem. If it doesn't work, then either the industrial fan isn't compatible OR you have a faulty header.

Try plugging in the fan currently working on Chassis Fan 1 into Chassis Fan 2 header to eliminate that possibility.
Ok, that all means going back to the shop... A 180km round trip.

Are the fans running ?
Did you let Qfan optimize the fans?
if not start there.
Which version of fan 2000 or 3000 rpm fan are they?

The 2000's are .18 amp draw and the 3000's are .55 amp draw.
So if all 4 fans are 2000's you should be ok on mobo header which have a 1 amp most of the time.
But if you have the 3000 rpm model then the header is over loaded at .55 amp per fan.

Also look in bios in the monitor section / then q fan config to make sure it is set to pwm not dc voltage.

Doing as suggested earlier by shutting it down and tracing the wires and making a few wire switches then Reboot system would save that 180km trip and should not void any warranty.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Are the fans running ?
Did you let Qfan optimize the fans?
if not start there.
Which version of fan 2000 or 3000 rpm fan are they?

The 2000's are .18 amp draw and the 3000's are .55 amp draw.
So if all 4 fans are 2000's you should be ok on mobo header which have a 1 amp most of the time.
But if you have the 3000 rpm model then the header is over loaded at .55 amp per fan.

Also look in bios in the monitor section / then q fan config to make sure it is set to pwm not dc voltage.

Doing as suggested earlier by shutting it down and tracing the wires and making a few wire switches then Reboot system would save that 180km trip and should not void any warranty.
(1). Yes the fans are running (from the sound of it) at full speed.

(2). When I first open AI Suite 3, it did an optimisation. Is Qfan something in Bios?

(3). They are a mix of 2000 and 3000 rpm fans. (but so are the top and bottom fan sets and they are working fine.) I was aware of the 1 amp limit and arranged accordingly.

(4). I will check the q fan config to make sure it is set to pwm not dc voltage.

(5). I will retrace the wires as well. I just wanted to do any possible software changes first?

PS.

Chassis Fan 2, since I've had the PC, (3 years now) has always been greyed out. But because I never used that header on the Motherboard before, (until now) I thought it was greyed out because it was not used.

Yes Qfan is in bios usually across the top depending if you have it set to Ez mode or Advanced but it still maybe at the top.

The Qfan config is in the monitoring section down low.

Check that header, is not set to ignore.

So are you running a 2000 and a 3000 on the same splitter?

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Yes Qfan is in bios usually across the top depending if you have it set to Ez mode or Advanced but it still maybe at the top.

The Qfan config is in the monitoring section down low.

Check that header, is not set to ignore.

So are you running a 2000 and a 3000 on the same splitter?
"So are you running a 2000 and a 3000 on the same splitter?"... Yes, I was told here that it would be ok.

Also the other two 3 fan configurations (top and bottom) within the PC , are running fine and are running a 2000 and a 3000 on the same splitter.

Given that my Chassis Fan 2 port on my Motherboard has always been greyed out, (even before adding the new fans) I'm hoping it was set to ignore when the PC was being built.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
WAIT! I bet there is a simple fix.

You are using a Splitter to connect these three fans to one header. Actually, I would call that device a HUB because it gets all power for its fans from the PSU via a 4-pin Molex connector, and does not draw power from the mobo header. This means the header current limit is NOT a factor for your fans.

Look very closely at the FOUR output connectors (male with pins) from that device. Only ONE of them will have all four pins inside. The other three all will be missing Pin #3. Why? Any mobo header can deal with the speed signal sent back to it from only ONE fan. So with a Splitter or Hub, only ONE fan's speed signal will be sent back to the host header and the speeds of all other fans will be ignored completely. With this type of Hub (a group of cable "arms") the easiest way to do that is NOT to include in most male output connectors Pin #3 that carries the fan's speed signal. I would bet that the ONE output connector that is EMPTY right now HAS all 4 pins. In other words, all three fans you are using there are connected to outputs that do NOT send a speed signal back to the header. THAT is why the header sees NO speed signal and is greyed out to indicate the header believes it has NO fans attached.

Simply move one fan's connector to the only Hub output connector that HAS all 4 pins. That should get the header to "see" a fan and be happy. Just to be sure you can control those fans properly, check in BIOS Setup that this header is configured for PWM Mode, not DC or Voltage or Auto. The fans need that PWM signal from the header to control fan speeds.

Last edited:

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

You are using a Splitter to connect these three fans to one header. Actually, I would call that device a HUB because it gets all power for its fans from the PSU via a 4-pin Molex connector, and does not draw power from the mobo header. This means the header current limit is NOT a factor for your fans.

Look very closely at the FOUR output connectors (male with pins) from that device. Only ONE of them will have all four pins inside. The other three all will be missing Pin #3. Why? Any mobo header can deal with the speed signal sent back to it from only ONE fan. So with a Splitter or Hub, only ONE fan's speed signal will be sent back to the host header and the speeds of all other fans will be ignored completely. With this type of Hub (a group of cable "arms") the easiest way to do that is NOT to include in most male output connectors Pin #3 that carries the fan's speed signal. I would bet that the ONE output connector that is EMPTY right now HAS all 4 pins. In other words, all three fans you are using there are connected to outputs that do NOT send a speed signal back to the header. THAT is why the header sees NO speed signal and is greyed out to indicate the header believes it has NO fans attached.

Simply move one fan's connector to the only Hub output connector that HAS all 4 pins. That should get the header to "see" a fan and be happy. Just to be sure you can control those fans properly, check in BIOS Setup that this header is configured for PWM Mode, not DC or Voltage or Auto. The fans need that PWM signal from the header to control fan speeds.
Interesting, I'll look into this.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm in new worlds here so need things explained as I go.

"Chassis Fan 1-3 Q-Fan Source"... What should that be set at? Motherboard?... as all 3 are plugged into the motherboard headers.

"High Amp fan Q fan Source"... What is this? The cases fan hub? I have one fan plugged into my PC case's inbuilt fan hub. Is this what that is referencing?.. and if so, what should that be set at? CUP... Motherboard?
7GKpK3z.jpeg

DBNHw5t.jpeg

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

Excellent call. You were correct.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Glad to hear your problem is fixed.

Just to answer your two questions above:

All mobos have at least two temperature sensors they can use to guide fan headers. The CPU_FAN header always uses the one inside the CPU chip since that its what is fan is cooling. IF you have related headers like CPU_OPT, the same sensor is used there. Then there are SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers intended for use with case ventilation fans and normally these all should use a different sensor on the motherboard. But most such headers actually offer you the choice of changing that just so that header MAY be re-purposed for something. So the Chassis Fan Source item is to let you make that choice for one header, and usually it should be motherboard.

HiAmp is a label applied to a special SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header on the mobo, not an accessory in the case. Most fan headers can supply power at up to 1.0 A current. A few high-performance fans and some pumps for liquid-cooled systems require more, so SOME mobos include one header able to deliver up to 3 A. It operates the same as others and thus has the same configuration options. It is different only in the max current it can provide to its load.

Reactions: Eamonn100