AIDA64 (Trial version) Hardware Failure

Apr 15, 2018
So my specs are the following
Ryzen 7 1700x @3.9GHZ @1.35V
Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz 2x8gb (16 16 18 18 36 , 1.35V)
MSI b350 gaming plus motherboard
Deepcool 240 AIO

My issue is I went with these settings to prime95 and I ran a blend test for 1hr 30 mins , no errors , Cinebench runs fine , but I went to Aida64 and I checked in "Stress CPU" and "Stress System Memory" , nothing else was checked. 40 minutes into the test I got a hardware Failure , so I decided to check them individually and unchecked memory and ran only "Stress CPU". The test ran for over 1 hour and no fails. Now I unchecked "Stress CPU" and only ran "Stress memory". Test is approaching 1 hour right now and still no errors.

Im confused as to why these tests individually dont fail but if checked together they do indeed fail at some point. That being said I havent crashed once or gotten a blue screen so im guessing im close to the line of stability but i might be lacking something. Any of you ryzen overclockers have an idea or maybe you could share your 3.9/4.0 profiles with me to see if I can copy them succesfully? I also listed my AIO in case you wanted to know but im not having temp issues. Im staying at 70-78 C max even during prime 95. Aida 64 is only getting me to 64C.

Thanks in advance.

Update: hardware failure on system memory after 50 minutes. Guessing its the ram speed then. Sad reacts, i really like seeing that 3200 lol, guess ill have to drop it.

Solution
That hardware error is probably your ram, also instead of running prime95 try to run Asus RealBench Stress Test and see are you stable there.

PuperHacker

Honorable
AIDA 64 is a VERY demanding benchmark. The CPU benchmark is difficult on its own.
However, you are unlikely to encounter such problems with such workload in everyday use.
If reducing the RAM speed adds to its stability, you can double check that it is not an app error, then reduce the speed.

Apr 15, 2018
For security im running cpu test yet again. This time im gonna go for 2-3 hours , if it doesnt give me issue then it is 100% either app error or Ram speed too high for ryzen. Ive read that ryzen has issues running ram at 3200 mhz but I figured that was because my ram stick was rated 3000mhz (the one I had before) so I switched it to 3200mhz rated speed but it is still giving me that stress test failure issue... I guess I cant do much about it , im running the ram at its tested timings/voltage/speed based on corsairs website , maybe increasing Dram voltage would help? I see people use 1.38 often , maybe I can try that out safely?

PuperHacker

Honorable

I would't suggest meddling with DRAM voltage.
If you continue to get crashes, find a RAM speed that is stable through trial and error.
Again, check with other stress test program for the same duration, to determine whether it is a software error.

Apr 15, 2018
I will do that then , however like I mentioned originally , Im not getting crashes. test just stops and I can continue to browse normally. Which is why I found it weird cuz most videos on overclocking just straight out crash when they test with instability.

PuperHacker

Honorable

Indeed, benchmark failures point to software errors. I hope you are able to complete all other benchmarks and confirm this.

Apr 15, 2018
Update - I ran cinebench 7 times in a row , did aida64 cpu stress test for 2 hours and nothing happened so now I decided to try and bump up core clock to 4ghz and try again to see if my chip is good enough for it. Ran cinebench 7 times again with no issues and my cinebench score went up like 60 points , now im currently on prime95 custom test with ram usage at 14gb (with task manager open to monitor memory usage along with CoreTemp to monitor temps , these are capping my memory usage at 15gb which is what I wanted) and 100% cpu workload. If this intense torture passes for a few hours Id honestly feel hard pressed to call my overclock unstable since the only test giving me an issue is Aida64 if I check mark "System memory stress". so far 15 minutes into prime95 and no issues , ill keep you updated on the results. Wish me luck.

Ok so 4ghz failed. I can prob get it running at 1.4V but I dont feel its worth the increase so ill drop back to 3.9 where I was and run the custom prime test for 2 hours before calling it a day at 3.9ghz.

SAN1TY

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
That hardware error is probably your ram, also instead of running prime95 try to run Asus RealBench Stress Test and see are you stable there.

Solution