Question AIO bubbling on startup ?

remagg

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
I have recently purchased a cooler master 240 AIO, its on my 7700k. Now the temperatures are fine, idles at around 28c and never seen above 75c so im happy with that, its when i start the pc after its been off for a while i get a bubbling noise for around 30seconds to a minute but then the noise fades away. It doesnt occur on a restart or anything, only after long periods of being off.

I dont have the luxury of placing the rad at the top of the case due to memory being to tall. Is my placement fine or should i be worried ?
Just after some peace of mind. Thanks.

Image of AIO setup:

View: https://imgur.com/a/JqIxqV3

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to take a picture of the case without the glass side panel, standing at least 10 feet away(if a DSLR with a 50/60mm prime lens/ 5 feet away if using your phone).

Make and model of your case and it's innards? You might want to reconsider getting a case whereby the AIO is either mounted on the top, set to exhaust or orient the radiator in a way to have the tubes exit the bottom of the radiator, under the GPU, which could be accomplished with rotating the CPU pump/cooling block.

Reactions: remagg

remagg

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
Might want to take a picture of the case without the glass side panel, standing at least 10 feet away(if a DSLR with a 50/60mm prime lens/ 5 feet away if using your phone).

Make and model of your case and it's innards? You might want to reconsider getting a case whereby the AIO is either mounted on the top, set to exhaust or orient the radiator in a way to have the tubes exit the bottom of the radiator, under the GPU, which could be accomplished with rotating the CPU pump/cooling block.
yes sorry that was abit lazy on my part, the case is a be quiet pure base 500, I thought I would have to swap the rad around so ill do that and see if the problem persists, thank you.

its when i start the pc after its been off for a while i get a bubbling noise for around 30seconds to a minute but then fades away
That's because air bubbles are collecting in the upper part of the radiator.
When you turn your pc on, air bubbles get sucked into pump and make bubbling noise.
This reduces pump effectiveness and lifespan too.

Flip the radiator upside down.

Reactions: remagg

remagg

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
That's because air bubbles are collecting in the upper part of the radiator.
When you turn your pc on, air bubbles get sucked into pump and make bubbling noise.
This reduces pump effectiveness and lifespan too.

Flip the radiator upside down.
Yeah i wasnt sure if the air was in the pump on start up or at the top of the radiator, thanks for your help.

I have switched it around now and seems to have gone completely, thanks for the help all.

remagg

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
I woke this morning turned on my system and bubbling again but worse from what i could tell, So I guess I was wrong, I switched the rad around so the pipes are at the bottom all was well until this morning. i have turned the pc on with only power cable attached and titled the computer to try and free the air bubbles seems to have worked but I'm questioning whether it will happen again after a long period of being off.

I woke this morning turned on my system and bubbling again but worse from what i could tell, So I guess I was wrong, I switched the rad around so the pipes are at the bottom all was well until this morning. i have turned the pc on with only power cable attached and titled the computer to try and free the air bubbles seems to have worked but I'm questioning whether it will happen again after a long period of being off.
It takes time to clear the air bubbles out of the tubeing and pump/water block. It should settle down eventually but one thing you can do to speed it up is pick up the case and tilt it to put the radiator above the water block and gently shake it to help the air migrate. Don't shake it hard...more just jostling it it back and forth a little bit. It helps break the surface tension so the bubbles move up the tubeing into the radiator where they belong. If you can set it down stably in that orientation to turn it on would be great because then the pump can move the bubbles up into the radiator.

Whenever I install an AIO I always suspend the pump/block below the radiator and shake it a bit, then keep it below the radiator as I install it, to do the same thing. That way it will be gurgle-free from first start up.

Last edited: