[SOLVED] aio not cooling cpu

Jan 29, 2022
Throughout the past week my cpu temperatures have been going extremely high sometimes even up into the 90s after weeks of it being around 30-40 on idle and 60 after gaming for hours. I currently have an arctic II freezer 360 after replacing my lian li gallahad because i had the same issue with it where it would be cool for a few weeks then the temps would randomly skyrocket. i did a fresh install of windows ive tried reseating the heatsink i tried tubes down its currently configured tubes up because i recently upgraded to a 3080 and the tubes are extremely strained when its tubed down. All of the fans are connected to a Thermaltake command center (pic included). here is link to my pc part picker with all of the parts I'm currently using as well as a picture with the way everything is set up. I have no idea what else I can try any help would be much appreciated. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TDBnTn

Solution
OOF. That is stretch... there's almost no slack - the lower tube appears to have a little, but still... yikes, I wouldn't want to keep it like that.
Maybe the pump is busted... but you said the previous cooler did the same thing...

Can you confirm the liquid flow is good? You can put the rad back in the more comfortable position.
Put 'er under Cinebench R23 - the 10min run is fine - and feel both tubes after a couple minutes to give it a little time to soak in.
Flow good: Ehh, they feel about the same. Well, maybe this tube feels a little warmer...
Flow bad: This one is pretty cool. The other one is definitely warmer/hotter.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Throughout the past week my cpu temperatures have been going extremely high sometimes even up into the 90s after weeks of it being around 30-40 on idle and 60 after gaming for hours. I currently have an arctic II freezer 360 after replacing my lian li gallahad because i had the same issue with it where it would be cool for a few weeks then the temps would randomly skyrocket. i did a fresh install of windows ive tried reseating the heatsink i tried tubes down its currently configured tubes up because i recently upgraded to a 3080 and the tubes are extremely strained when its tubed down. All of the fans are connected to a Thermaltake command center (pic included). here is link to my pc part picker with all of the parts I'm currently using as well as a picture with the way everything is set up. I have no idea what else I can try any help would be much appreciated. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TDBnTn

Tubes from the rad are higher than the pump your probably have air trapped in the top of the rad.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have an idea yet, sorry.
I've had this Eisbaer Aurora 360 for a little over a year, and just this month, I've gone and front mounted it.
Haven't seen any issues like yours so far, so at the moment, I'm stuck with Zerk2012's idea of trapped air, but not due to the tubes.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
OOF. That is stretch... there's almost no slack - the lower tube appears to have a little, but still... yikes, I wouldn't want to keep it like that.
Maybe the pump is busted... but you said the previous cooler did the same thing...

Can you confirm the liquid flow is good? You can put the rad back in the more comfortable position.
Put 'er under Cinebench R23 - the 10min run is fine - and feel both tubes after a couple minutes to give it a little time to soak in.
Flow good: Ehh, they feel about the same. Well, maybe this tube feels a little warmer...

Solution
Jan 29, 2022

im not sure if i can do the other configuration because the other guy in the thread said
Zerk2012 said:
Tubes from the rad are higher than the pump your probably have air trapped in the top of the rad.
theres still a bit of give in both of the tubes. the only problem is i cant feel anything at all. no movement or vibration or anything in the pipes however the artic II has a little fan on in it and thats spinning just fine.

Jan 29, 2022
It's not so much the tubes, but the inlet + outlet ports for the radiator in relation to the pump head.
The tubes on my Eisbaer are bloody rigid and hanging up just like the tubes on yours - it's only spent about a month in this position; I had it at the top for most of the time I've had it.
View: https://imgur.com/NLszZgj
i think the something might be damaged with it because i cant feel anything at all in the tubes no vibration no temperature change no nothing and i hear a slight hissing sound every few seconds. Thankfully i can still return it on amazon. now that youve seen my setup and know what im working with do you have any recommendations for cooling? its hard to find a straight answer cause its the internet but I'm not sure if i should top mount something and keep my 3 fans i the front. or try a 240 or 280 in the front with my push pull set up i know the tubes would be more likely to fix bottom down that way. I really appreciate your help youve been a life saver ive been freaking out afraid my cpu is gonna melt.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pump's probably kicked the bucket then.

I would push towards an air cooler.
The Lancool II Mesh is limited to 240mm at the top, and I believe those just don't have enough going for them compared to big air and 280mm AIOs.
If you don't already have a spare air cooler on hand, I recommend you have one if still wanting to go the AIO route. They inevitably fail(no ifs, but when), and you'll want some kind of backup to quickly swap in and go about your business.
Scythe FUMA 2
Thermalright Macho C
... are a couple of the more affordable examples that also don't interfere with your ram. There's quite a price gap between these 2 and some of the other big air coolers.

If you insist on an AIO regardless - 280mm and mount 'er in the front.
Arctic Freezer II 280. Should be easy to do radiator inlet+outlet towards the bottom. For the longest time, I hadn't taken notice that the tubes on LF IIs were 450mm long. All the other guys have been doing 380-400mm. RGB and ARGB versions are available too.
Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Dynamic X2, or the Prisma ARGB if you want some lights.
Corsair H115i Elite Capellix. Requires their iCUE software to operate it - your experience using it may vary.

Reactions: luke14567
Jan 29, 2022
Pump's probably kicked the bucket then.

I would push towards an air cooler.
The Lancool II Mesh is limited to 240mm at the top, and I believe those just don't have enough going for them compared to big air and 280mm AIOs.
If you don't already have a spare air cooler on hand, I recommend you have one if still wanting to go the AIO route. They inevitably fail(no ifs, but when), and you'll want some kind of backup to quickly swap in and go about your business.
Scythe FUMA 2
Thermalright Macho C
... are a couple of the more affordable examples that also don't interfere with your ram. There's quite a price gap between these 2 and some of the other big air coolers.

If you insist on an AIO regardless - 280mm and mount 'er in the front.
Arctic Freezer II 280. Should be easy to do radiator inlet+outlet towards the bottom. For the longest time, I hadn't taken notice that the tubes on LF IIs were 450mm long. All the other guys have been doing 380-400mm. RGB and ARGB versions are available too.
Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Dynamic X2, or the Prisma ARGB if you want some lights.
Corsair H115i Elite Capellix. Requires their iCUE software to operate it - your experience using it may vary.
Thank you so much i think im gonna try the air cooling route cause both of the aio's ive had have crapped out on me within a year. I really appreciate the help you're a life saver. Have a wonderful rest of your day!