[SOLVED] AIO Not Working After Changing Motherboard And CPU

Jul 27, 2021
So 2 days ago I changed my motherboard and cpu and my aio stopped working I've tried: taking the cpu out and check the pins, remount the aio (3 times), cleared cmos, connecting the cable into the actual AIO pump connector in the motherboard cause it was connected to a fan connector (still the same results) View: http://imgur.com/a/JVMLiu0
Dont know what to do at this point I can boot but I cant do anything else

Solution
CPU_OPT runs off of the CPU_FAN signal. If there's nothing in CPU_FAN, well, you're going to get the fan error.
Do you have a backup cooler? You kinda need one with AIOs. It helps with stuff like this.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure it's not just a sensor that's broken? Like, the pump's still getting power through SATA(direct to psu), the cpu's still being cooled, but you just can't read the sensor?

Also, the radiator fans are on backwards, thus all exhaust, and it explains the dust pattern too.

Since you changed motherboards, did you reinstall Windows, the mobo drivers, and NZXT CAM?

Lutfij

Titan
Which NZXT AIO is that? The AIO pump doesn't show any reading/numerical value on the headers, You might want to try and remove the radiator from the system, and hold the other end of the end tank to the top. What was your prior motherboard's make and model?

Jul 27, 2021
Are you sure it's not just a sensor that's broken? Like, the pump's still getting power through SATA(direct to psu), the cpu's still being cooled, but you just can't read the sensor?

Also, the radiator fans are on backwards, thus all exhaust, and it explains the dust pattern too.

Since you changed motherboards, did you reinstall Windows, the mobo drivers, and NZXT CAM?

Yes I reinstalled windows, latest motherboard update and the nzxt cam just detects some fans running at 1500rpm theres no AIO pump being detected or anything
(And yea Im turning the fans around tnx)
And I feel like is not working cause the cpu is running at stock speed no oc no nothing ram is on stock I run a simple mem test and temps go over 100c

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Which NZXT AIO is that? The AIO pump doesn't show any reading/numerical value on the headers, You might want to try and remove the radiator from the system, and hold the other end of the end tank to the top. What was your prior motherboard's make and model?
Is a nzxt x73 no rgb my prior motherboard was a asrock phantom gaming 4 and it worked fine

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, I wanted to be sure; I couldn't tell if things were ok there from the cutoff bios image.
Is it still under warranty?
If you plugged the cables up in the same headers as you did with the previous motherboard, and even tried to use different headers on the board... I'd try an RMA.

The only other things I could think of:
-is that static electricity killed the pump while you were in the middle of swapping boards.
-dirt or debris is jammed in the headers/ports related to pump power.
-pump power was exposed to liquids, and powered on while still wet.
It's also hard to imagine that it just up and died like that.

Jul 27, 2021
Sorry, I wanted to be sure; I couldn't tell if things were ok there from the cutoff bios image.
If you plugged the cables up in the same headers as you did with the previous motherboard, and even tried to use different headers on the board... I'd try an RMA.

-is that static electricity killed the pump while you were in the middle of swapping boards.
Yea I have warranty on every part since is almost new but I dont know if I should reutrn the AIO or the motherboard and Im going to try RMA

Jul 27, 2021

Tried connecting the AIO to the CPU_OPT and got this error I cant even boot into windows now
View: https://imgur.com/a/bAv8Ddt

The radiator fans are working I changed their positions and im currently waiting for 2 more fans
View: https://i.imgur.com/Dqwz0Tf.jpg

Jul 27, 2021
CPU_OPT runs off of the CPU_FAN signal. If there's nothing in CPU_FAN, well, you're going to get the fan error.
Do you have a backup cooler? You kinda need one with AIOs. It helps with stuff like this.
I have a extra aio 120mm from a ibuypower prebuilt it was working fine when I took it out of my old build should I give it a try?

Jul 27, 2021
So Im going to be trying the ibuypower aio right now, I currently swapped motherboards and back to my 8700k and can't see the pump rpm on anything nzxt or bios or hwinfo and temps are not that great (theyre 55c when I'm on bios its running at 4.6ghz) also when I tried manually changing the freq on the asus apex board it wouldn't let me change it, it will turn on and off for like a couple seconds then boot again but on 3.7ghz the only way I could change the freq was if I enabled all of the intel and powersaving options that makes the cpu run at like 4.9ghz but the temps would hit the roof when testing it with prime95 it would hit like 100c in seconds so I don't know what to do I sent a email to nzxt saturday and talked to them about it but they only work on business days so I will most likely get a response tomorrow

Jul 27, 2021
It sounds more and more that the Kraken's pump coincidentally died while making the swap...
Yup the cpu core freq is stuck on 3700 on my old board too cant go higher when a couple days ago was running 4.6ghz and like 1.25v no problem the bios says the target cpu is 4.6 but when I boot is 3.7 base freq and temps are 50-60 when idle so I think the pump is dead I dont know how the aio just died all of the sudden I didn't do anything weird like apply pressure or anything like that it just died when I swapped cpu and mobo

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
I don't get it either. Those 3 points I mentioned earlier were the only ways I knew of that would have it die from a simple board swap.
So I plug in the 120mm aio and guess what, it shows the rpm of the pump but of course I run into thermal problems cause its obv a 120mm aio and the bios settings that I had (like 4.6ghz) are too much for a 120mm ibuypower aio xD last time I used it I had it at like 4.0ghz so thats normal.... this is def something with the x73, the pump is def running on the nzxt aio but it doesn't show it anywhere and is def cooling just not at 100% I also remember turning a switch from the asus apex board that makes all fans and pump run at max speed just to see if that made a difference and still was having trouble running at any speed except the base stock one.. in conclusion I'm going to call nzxt tomorrow since amazon said I gotta give them a call and if they don't help I call amazon again to use the protection plan that I bought along with the aio