[SOLVED] Aio pump rpm

Jarcinas

Prominent
Jan 6, 2021
I just bought my first aio cooler kraken X53. Was wondering if lowering rpm on the pump will have any affect, since at stock rpm at 1800 rpm I can still faintly hear the pump, its probably just me with sensitive hearing. I have it set to 1100 rpm for just normal web browsing and watching videos. Thanks

Solution
Most AIO systems are designed to have the pump run full speed all the time, and not make a lot of pump noise. But that is for process control reasons. As you can imagine, the rate of heat removal from the CPU depends both on the rate of flow of liquid around the loop (governed by pump speed), and the rate of heat removal at the radiator as governed by fan speeds. Each of those two device speeds impacts the overall performance is different ways and with VERY different rates of change of their effect - these are called response times of the devices. An automatic system to control the TEMPERATURE inside the CPU chip (that's what your mobo does) needs to be set up for these factors. It is possible to create a system that changes both the...
How quiet are your case fans/PSU fan? When running benchmarks, stress testing, or gaming does your CPU ever get a little too warm for your liking?

The reason I ask is because increasing the pump speed in AiOs is one of the easiest/quietest ways to lower your temps a degree or three. I also have very sensitive hearing but I run my AiO pump at the performance level because the change in pitch and loudness when it revs up is more noticeable than just always having it at a constant (but slightly louder) level. Basically, my system is always at the same db level regardless of whether it's sitting at a blank desktop, running RealBench, or anything in between.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Jarcinas

Prominent
Jan 6, 2021
How quiet are your case fans/PSU fan? When running benchmarks, stress testing, or gaming does your CPU ever get a little too warm for your liking?

The reason I ask is because increasing the pump speed in AiOs is one of the easiest/quietest ways to lower your temps a degree or three. I also have very sensitive hearing but I run my AiO pump at the performance level because the change in pitch and loudness when it revs up is more noticeable than just always having it at a constant (but slightly louder) level. Basically, my system is always at the same db level regardless of whether it's sitting at a blank desktop, running RealBench, or anything in between.
My case fans are fairly quite, when in idle, during gaming or doing benchmarks yes you can hear them slightly increase in sound. During just normal browsing, idle, and watching videos my cpu temps are around 25-30c, during gaming it only goes up to around 33c with like 17%-25% cpu usage, and when doing benchmarks 100% cpu usage the pump runs at 100% my cpu temps are at 44c. Pretty much if im watching a video or playing games i dont even hear it, but when im just sitting in front of the computer not doing anything at all i can hear it that is why i lowered it a bit, Hopefully it should be ok lol.

Jarcinas

Prominent
Jan 6, 2021
Where and how is the radiator mounted? Ideally you want the pump to be lower than the point where the hoses enter the radiator. (due to a small amount of air in the system, if the pump is higher, the air will rise there and it will make noise)

reference and proof:
View: https://youtu.be/BbGomv195sk
I have a h500 case so only way was to mount it in the front. Only time you can sorta hear it is when im not doing anything at all. Probably just me since i guess im use to the stock air cooler i been using for couple years now.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Most AIO systems are designed to have the pump run full speed all the time, and not make a lot of pump noise. But that is for process control reasons. As you can imagine, the rate of heat removal from the CPU depends both on the rate of flow of liquid around the loop (governed by pump speed), and the rate of heat removal at the radiator as governed by fan speeds. Each of those two device speeds impacts the overall performance is different ways and with VERY different rates of change of their effect - these are called response times of the devices. An automatic system to control the TEMPERATURE inside the CPU chip (that's what your mobo does) needs to be set up for these factors. It is possible to create a system that changes both the pump speed and the rad fan speed to control the cooling, but it is very complicated to adjust the "tuning parameters" of each type of decvice. If you don't achieve that, the system will end up "chasing itself around". The fast-acting device will cause temperature to rise and then correct itself by trying to cool down. Meanwhile, the slow-acting device will sense the high temp and start it own cooling action, and this will cause the fast device to try for higher temps again, etc. etc. So the really easy solution is to manipulate only ONE device (the rad fans) to control the tempertures, and keep the other device (the pump) at a fixed setting. Under that strategy, the logical fixed pump speed is full speed so you will always have the maximum heat removal capacity available to you.

OP, what you are doing is quite all right because you are not making the pump speed shift around all the time. It does have two small effects you should bear in mind. One is that your fans will be running just a little faster that "normal" since they are dealing with a slower rate of heat movement. Probably of no real consequence. The other is that at very high workloads your cooling system cannot remove heat at it max capcity, so your CPU will run a little hotter at those workloads. You might consider manually re-setting your pump speed faster when you work hard for a sustained period, and then reducing again later.

Solution