[SOLVED] AIO_PUMP or W_PUMP+ for liquid AIO?

Dec 2, 2020
Hi, first post for a first-time PC builder.

My motherboard (ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero) has two headers for AIO pumps—"W_PUMP+" (3A, 36W) and "AIO_PUMP" (1A, 12W)

I am using a liquid AIO (Fractal S36 Prisma). The ASUS manual says to use the "W_PUMP+" header for water cooling.

Seems simple, but the issue per se is that the cable isn't long enough to reach around my monstrous GPU (EVGA GeForce RTX 3090) to get to the W_PUMP header. To do so, I have to effectively "pinch" it between the GPU and motherboard (on the motherboard side it's resting against the cover that goes over the M2 slots). I've done a little bit of lazy research via google, and some people seem to suggest that it really doesn't matter if you plug an AIO like this into the AIO_PUMP header or the W_PUMP header—but I don't know if I should trust this opinion or not.

My question is, what's the better option? Is it better to pin the cable between the GPU/motherboard to reach the W_PUMP header, or is it really no big deal to just use the AIO_PUMP header? Or is the obvious solution a third alternative, like some sort of extension for the AIO cable to take a long path to the W_PUMP header?

Any insight is appreciated!

Solution
Neither is better. You can use either one.
My mobo has both headers, I'm currently using hybrid coolers on both cpu and gpu; didn't make a difference which header they were plugged in to .

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Of you have an AIO system in a complete kit, you are fine to use the AIO_PUMP header for that system's pump. The W_PUMP header with a much higher amp rating is particularly for older designs and for users who assemble their own liquid-cooling systems from high-power components that include a heavy-duty pump.