[SOLVED] Air flow question

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
My case has two stock fans on the front and one on the back. Normally, the two on the front will pull in cool air, which then goes through the pc as the hot air gets pushed out by the fan in the back.

Now, I had installed a liquid cooler on the top of the case, which has 3 fans. I had found that these three fans are taking care of the hot air, and no air at all is felt leaving the fan in the back of the case. Is this normal? Or should air be pushed out from both the top and the back?

Solution
Its reasonable that the rear fan is now "fighting" to exhaust heat with 3 additional fans before it.
It dosent sound normal that no air is felt leaving though, it should still be exhausting air.

Personally, Id move the rear fan to a front intake as well, which your case should support. Having more cool air entering the case would likely be beneficial, but you can test it yourself to see what works best.
Its reasonable that the rear fan is now "fighting" to exhaust heat with 3 additional fans before it.
It dosent sound normal that no air is felt leaving though, it should still be exhausting air.

Personally, Id move the rear fan to a front intake as well, which your case should support. Having more cool air entering the case would likely be beneficial, but you can test it yourself to see what works best.

Solution

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

Good idea actually. I will give that a try.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Follow-up, the front only has enough space for 3 fans if one was moved down to where it will only blow air in the bottom compartment where the drives and psu is, which wouldn’t do any good. So I guess I’ll just leave the rear one where it is as a precautionary measure.

Follow-up, the front only has enough space for 3 fans if one was moved down to where it will only blow air in the bottom compartment where the drives and psu is, which wouldn’t do any good. So I guess I’ll just leave the rear one where it is as a precautionary measure.
Air doesn't have to blow directly to any particular part to be effective, once you close the case it still helps move air.
As far as your back (exhaust) fan being ineffective, that's because 3 fans on top radiator pull most of air out , you'd be better off placing it in front to balance in-out flow.