Question Air vs aio

kepmip86

Prominent
Apr 3, 2018
Hey all doing a new ryzen 5 3700x build for a friend and didn't want to be biased in deciding on a cooling option.

I run a noctua dh15 on a i5 8600k oc to 4.5ghz and temps don't exceed 7 degree over ambient, max 76 on torture and average 55 while gaming so I'm big fan of noctua for performance and silence but can't compare as I've never had an aio. I've watched all bids and reviews but wanted to open this up cause there are the new gen aio's, so apologies if I'm re opening annold topic.

Should we look at aio options or go with a air cooler like noctua or be quiet?

We are after best performance and silence. Not on a budget either so even 360 aio are an option. Custom loops bit over the top and no experience with them so would prefer to avoid this way of cooling.

Wanted to see what people's opinions are regarding cooling these days while wanting both performance and noise, which I understand you have sacrifice one or the other but the closest to both would be optimal as well as ease and reliability especially regarding the new gen asetek aio pumps.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I'd go with Air if your ambient temps aren't bad. I'd go with AIO if your build is compact and does not allow you to get an air cooler in there. So to reiterate, mind sharing your specs for your friends build?

List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Reactions: kepmip86

kepmip86

Prominent
Apr 3, 2018