[SOLVED] Airflow path/orientation inside the case

cazanlucianadelin

Reputable
Nov 22, 2017
Hello,

To begin with the setup I have a Gigabyte AC300G case. I also have a Gigabyte Liquid Cooler 360 which I was planning to place on top of the case for exhaust but due to front panel cables it doesn't fit so I had to place it on the front of the case. I have 2 stock fans on in the back which is exhaust and one up top which is intake and I'm planning to get 2 fans on top which would fully cover the area as the stock one is smaller.

I just got the Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 Master and under 100% load it was oscillating around 70-80 degrees. I am aware that its usual for this GPU to reach such temps in full load. However when removing the glass panel temps dropped to 60-70 degrees.

I know that air intake should be on the sides and exhaust up top but in my case it would be impossible without changing some newly bought components.

I think that the liquid cooler can only be used as exhaust therefore would it be ok to use the top fans on a higher RPM as intake since I have a dust filter and the back as exhaust since there are no filters there regardless of the recommended or normal way?

It might be ok for the GPU as long as it stays under 80-90 but I would like to drop it to 60-70 if possible without undervolting it as suggested by some people.

Thank you for your time

Solution
Hello,

To begin with the setup I have a Gigabyte AC300G case. I also have a Gigabyte Liquid Cooler 360 which I was planning to place on top of the case for exhaust but due to front panel cables it doesn't fit so I had to place it on the front of the case. I have 2 stock fans on in the back which is exhaust and one up top which is intake and I'm planning to get 2 fans on top which would fully cover the area as the stock one is smaller.

I just got the Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 Master and under 100% load it was oscillating around 70-80 degrees. I am aware that its usual for this GPU to reach such temps in full load. However when removing the glass panel temps dropped to 60-70 degrees.

I know that air intake should be on the sides and...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I know that air intake should be on the sides and exhaust up top but in my case it would be impossible without changing some newly bought components.

I think that the liquid cooler can only be used as exhaust therefore would it be ok to use the top fans on a higher RPM as intake since I have a dust filter and the back as exhaust since there are no filters there regardless of the recommended or normal way?

It might be ok for the GPU as long as it stays under 80-90 but I would like to drop it to 60-70 if possible without undervolting it as suggested by some people.

Thank you for your time
In the front, you should have the air over the radiator as intake (blowing outside air through the radiator). After that you will have to experiment. Back should be exhaust. Top could be either.
Taking the side panel off and having your temps drop, is an indication that you have insufficient outside air coming into the case.

Reactions: cazanlucianadelin
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That, right there, is pretty telling that the chassis airflow is mediocre.

Aorus LC360 is stuck in the front. Set the radiator's fans to pull air through the rad - not push - if you haven't done so already.
Fill the top and rear with exhaust fans.
Not much else you can do here.
With this, you now know not to get chassis with solid, or near solid, front panels like that one if you want to maximize cooling.

No to doing top intake. You'll make it worse.
Cool air from above will run into the rising gpu exhaust, stagnating - thus taking even longer to get out of the chassis.

Reactions: cazanlucianadelin