News Alan Wake 2 Punishes Your NVMe SSD at 2.7 GB/s

Sep 27, 2023
It doesn't delivers anything worth the stress it puts on the computer.
I simply don't agree. From a purely visual standpoint the game looks amazing, and when you're using cutting edge technology it's going to stress your components. I'm skeptical of if you could give us a quantifiable basis for what it should be doing to achieve your expectations.

To be honest if it's using your SSD that much I'm actually a little impressed, since SSDs are more often underutilized in games.

Pete Mitchell

Commendable
Dec 19, 2021
So the author admits that the SSD stayed within the manufacturer’s temperature range, as no throttling occurred. Reads do not “punish” SSDs. If anything would stress an SSD, it would be writes, which isn’t happening here. So, what was the point of this article?

Both Anandtech and Toms Hardware used to be great sites. Anything Future Publishing touches goes in the toilet.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Thank goodness I have a PCIE 4 NVME drive.
it looks amazing for a walking simulator. It can be both... impressive to look at but boring to play.

Graphics don't make a game good, it needs more than just wow shiney....
I agree 100%. When will we get games with this level of graphical fidelity, but that is actually fun to play.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When will we get games with this level of graphical fidelity, but that is actually fun to play.

Never until they stop finding new ways to convince people they need new GPU/monitors

I have been waiting for years for them to stop adding sparkly graphics and start making games more fun. I starting to think I will never see it in my life time. Although if we can have another ET moment and games industry has to restart again, maybe we get some good games then. But if the fail game is released by Bethesda, stupid modders would fix it and it wouldn't cause a cataclysm... that would be a shame.

People buy broken games now, so I guess ET wouldn't be enough. They boiled that frog slow enough that now people still pre order broken games. The ET like event would have to be an amazing fail to bring down industry again.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Never until they stop finding new ways to convince people they need new GPU/monitors

I have been waiting for years for them to stop adding sparkly graphics and start making games more fun. I starting to think I will never see it in my life time. Although if we can have another ET moment and games industry has to restart again, maybe we get some good games then. But if the fail game is released by Bethesda, stupid modders would fix it and it wouldn't cause a cataclysm... that would be a shame.

People buy broken games now, so I guess ET wouldn't be enough. They boiled that frog slow enough that now people still pre order broken games. The ET like event would have to be an amazing fail to bring down industry again.
I would say that there is still some hope in indie games where the graphics may not be the best, but they generally have good story.

Colif

Win 11 Master
indie are the only places that seem to innovate as well.

Bigger you get, less risk taking is made. You would think its easier to take risks when you have more resources but there you go. When shareholders count more than your audience, you get this.

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
I'll get it on sale in two years as a graphics tech demo. I did like Control though. I only played a little of the first Alan Wake... maybe I'll give it another go.