Aliens: CM One of the Worst Games of All Time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acktionhank

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
[citation][nom]boju[/nom]dunno, c&c4 was pretty crap.[/citation]

All i want is for C&C2 to get the same treatment that Star Craft 2 did.

C&C2 to me is the best RTS ever made and one of, if not my favorite game of all time.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]casualcolors[/nom]That is literally not a description of what happened at all. SEGA gave them more than half a DECADE to finish this game. Jesus christ. This is solely Gearbox's fault.[/citation]

Gear box doesn't own the game rights on the IP, at any time sega could have told gear box to go f--- themselves and took the IP else where them selves , so yes sega is to blame also.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Me too but with the way f2p is going i doubt we will ever again -_-

Westwood made the best of them all, still EA did ok job with some of their versions to satisfy my c&c needs (even Renegade was ok ) but c&c3 was the last good c&c game i played from them.

It's sad to be in the same basket with Mass Effect people with miserable endings.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alfaalex101[/nom]Half-Life 2 looked like it was from a CGI movie compared to games released the year earlier (Vice city, splinter cell, rainbow 6 raven, battlefield 1942, enter the matrix). The graphics, A.I., physics, animations, movie like story telling were unseen in the PC gaming industry until then. Many of my friends were blown away when they saw the level of detail on Gman's skin in the opening HL2 introduction. It was surreal being in the game with the AI interaction and physics. The engine alone was so versatile that it was used for Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, Counterstrike Source and countless other mods.The same cannot be said about any of the other games you listed - no, not even Crysis which was really just a HD version of FarCry Instincts. Why you would even bring in Torchlight II (which was really just a well polished Diablo 3 clone with a few extras, let's not kid ourselves) baffles me and reduces your argument to zilch.[/citation]

you are obviously a duffus when it comes to talking about game engines. source engine more versatile ??? you are joking right? I've only seen the source engine ever used in first person shooters, and one super buggy RPG (Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines). Granted the games he listed id not ahve the most versatile engines either but engine versatility doesn't equal one gmae using it to be better than all other games.

on a side note the Crytek Engine is already proven to be far far more versatile than the source engine it's been used in a few completely bug free rpg's as well as a few simulator games. that's more than any one can say for the source engine. but even it pales a versatility comparison to the Unreal engine.

The unreal engine has been used in RPG's (Mass Effect series). First Person shooters (Borderlands 1 and 2 among coutless other FPSers), Tower defense games ( Dungeon Defenders), Fighting games (Mortal Kombat 2011). and Knowing the unreal engine as well as i do (I'm school for game art design) i know it would be easy to implement it in other genre's such as RTS's and simulators but I don't know if any one has used it for those genres yet. I do know it has also been used in countless Mobile games , and has had updates for 64 bit , and updates to DX 11 rendering all things that the source engine can not claim. So no the source engine is not versatile every game made with it 99.9 percent of the time has been a FPSer that is the OPPOSITE of versatile. the crytek engine has been used for alot more versatile genres than the source engine has.

Now don't get me wrong , I love the source engine , and I love Half life 2 both were great for their day. but given the engines limited ability to update I have to call it the least versatile major game engine out there. its is mostly been for FPSers, its still on dx 9 and 32 code pathing, where as unreal and cry engine have been used on more than 2-3 other genres, and both are on dx 11 with 64 bit support now.

G

Glad i didnt buy it then. Money better spent on Crysis 3 for PC next week.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
@ demonhorde665, not gonna flood the forum with another wall of text so i'll try this way without quoting. I agree with everything you said and hoping Source 2 will bring everything and more we see in games today.

G

With Borderlands 1 and 2 being so brilliant, I don't care they failed A:CM.

[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Glad i didnt buy it then. Money better spent on Crysis 3 for PC next week.[/citation]
You're essentially buying Crysis 2 with bow and arrow and EA is laughing all the way to the bank.

A lot of money on valentines? B**** Please, im single :D.

Well, games are done worse every year. i Stoped buying games at all about 1 year ago, and only buy oldschool clasics.
Someday, when the good games come back, ill start spending money again. Till then, will be nice seeing all those big fish (EA, Blizzard) getting punished for giving people crap and expecting to sell it.

G

the worst part is that the graphics are horrible, like a 2005 game, and there´s only directx 9 compatible, no directx 11. yes, the game has bugs, but we must remember that, lately, almost every game launches with bugs (aka FAR CRY 3). i love the aliens franchise, and i liked the game a little bit. but, it doesn´t come even near AVP2 or the latest AVP in scary parts. Maybe a patch could correct the graphics and the bugs.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]you are obviously a duffus when it comes to talking about game engines. source engine more versatile ??? you are joking right? I've only seen the source engine ever used in first person shooters, and one super buggy RPG (Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines). Granted the games he listed id not ahve the most versatile engines either but engine versatility doesn't equal one gmae using it to be better than all other games. on a side note the Crytek Engine is already proven to be far far more versatile than the source engine it's been used in a few completely bug free rpg's as well as a few simulator games. that's more than any one can say for the source engine. but even it pales a versatility comparison to the Unreal engine. The unreal engine has been used in RPG's (Mass Effect series). First Person shooters (Borderlands 1 and 2 among coutless other FPSers), Tower defense games ( Dungeon Defenders), Fighting games (Mortal Kombat 2011). and Knowing the unreal engine as well as i do (I'm school for game art design) i know it would be easy to implement it in other genre's such as RTS's and simulators but I don't know if any one has used it for those genres yet. I do know it has also been used in countless Mobile games , and has had updates for 64 bit , and updates to DX 11 rendering all things that the source engine can not claim. So no the source engine is not versatile every game made with it 99.9 percent of the time has been a FPSer that is the OPPOSITE of versatile. the crytek engine has been used for alot more versatile genres than the source engine has. Now don't get me wrong , I love the source engine , and I love Half life 2 both were great for their day. but given the engines limited ability to update I have to call it the least versatile major game engine out there. its is mostly been for FPSers, its still on dx 9 and 32 code pathing, where as unreal and cry engine have been used on more than 2-3 other genres, and both are on dx 11 with 64 bit support now.[/citation]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Source_engine_games

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Besides the not so great checkpoint system, the usual horrible AI pathing and ability, there biggest problem I encountered was the BS glitching enemies, the aliens often jump through my AI "friends" or obstacles such as headglitching boxes...
It is a fun shoot-them-up title, that has a potential to be great. Too often than not, the developers' game testing bit fails to end users.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
there was so much you could do right with this game. How the hell do they do it so wrong? Ive been watching some lets plays and its really shitty. the graphics are below meh, and the machine gun noise stutters and confuses the hell out of the player, and a few other nuances. Im in the group that really does point the finger at gearbox since they pretty much sold out to 2K by prioritizing their games over this over the past 6 years. Sega is also at some fault for putting gearbox on too long a leash.

this was honestly one of the best licenced IPs to make a game for, and they failed horribly at it. Electronic gaming monthly for some reason gave this horrid game a 9/10...

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom] Electronic gaming monthly for some reason gave this horrid game a 9/10...[/citation]

Good indication that they were paid off.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This is how Sega got themselves in the horrid position they're in now, just barely surviving. This is why my brother is so reticent of getting involved in the gaming industry. For a game that was in development for 6 YEARS there is no reasonable explanation for releasing a game this bad. To think that just days ago I was reading a story by some industry idiot who was trying to argue that we don't need demos. It's like these people simply don't care if their industry survives into the future. All this on-line only crap, download only, blocking used games, not releasing demos... it's like they're playing Russian roulette and just trying their best to take more shots at themselves.

G

I say all studios move to pre-funding much of a game. Write up a good proposal, put together a demo, and put it out as a Kickstarter campaign. Companies can get these things up and going if they convince people it's worth putting in the money up front, and then take all the time they need to make the game the way the fans (those who funded the game in the first place) want to see it done - the right way.

I agree it feels like a slap in the face to treat this IP in this fashion. Think of those involved, you'd think they'd be embarrassed. If by some miracle they patch the Fing heck out of this to resolve some issues, I may play it. I would've loved to have seen this game be a combo action/survival-horror type of FPS/RPG hybrid. Aaaargh! The wasted opportunities! All the tension of the movies... gone! You want tension, put thinking puzzles in there! While being attacked by aliens and such! Just like the movie. Have to decide on a route, where to put sentry guns, what structures to reinforce for the coming alien assault, have to "call an audible" and change plans during an attack in order to survive.

All of these things are possible, among others, and they all sit on the "cutting room floor" of ideas. The movies that were good, were so because they forced one or more characters to grow and think their way out of a situation. Like they say in the service "It's better to be invisible, than to be invulnerable." Why, you ask? Easy: because you can never be truly invulnerable. Trying to outgun and do standup fights won't work every time.

You want paranoia? How about use the modern graphics to enhance the creepy environment. Gee, the structure in certain areas has got the alien-secreted resin all over the support structures? Gee, well the pattern seems to blend with the alien's body structure, eh? Remember the movies? You got it, let them take a swipe at you as you pass by, so indistinguishable from the wall that you can't even see them. Aliens was written like a Vietnam story, and that's one way they achieved the horror of patrolling a jungle where you didn't know if the enemy was gonna pop out six feet in front of you, or ambush you from a few feet away, and you can't immediately see their location.

This IP deserves a game with that level of suspense, tension, and intellect, along with ole' fashioned ass kickin' firepower when that's what'll get the job done. Until somebody makes such a game, then it'll never live up to it's true potential. At this point, they may as well wait until wait until they can calculate fully deformable/destructible environments (aka Physics processing), and have at it. You want variety? Okay, solve this puzzle any way you can involving real physics. That will blow the doors wide open. Okay, I've ranted enough...

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]Gear box doesn't own the game rights on the IP, at any time sega could have told gear box to go f--- themselves and took the IP else where them selves , so yes sega is to blame also.[/citation]

I suppose this would make a lot of sense business wise assuming SEGA had a printing-press in the basement pumping out counterfeit bills.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Worst PC game of all time ? Half Life2. For setting so high benchmark that only a few games can pass.[/citation]

I don't know why you got thumbs down for this.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Huge let down!!! I love Aliens the movie and was hoping this would bring back fond memories and kill aliens, but reviews are scary bad! :p I HATE YOU GEARBOX!!!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]cats_Paw[/nom]A lot of money on valentines? B**** Please, im single .Well, games are done worse every year. i Stoped buying games at all about 1 year ago, and only buy oldschool clasics.Someday, when the good games come back, ill start spending money again. Till then, will be nice seeing all those big fish (EA, Blizzard) getting punished for giving people crap and expecting to sell it.[/citation]

If you are sick of the "too big" developers, check out the indie games movement, and buy a couple indie bundles on steam. I can't wait for starbound...

As far as EA goes, I only ever liked EA sports BIG, and Blizzard died when Activision got involved. Hopefully seeing people coming up with "digital 8bit sandbox" or Minecraft, and making millions from it has taught some of these developers some humility...

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I'll try to give an honest preliminary review here. Received Aliens CM as a birthday gift from a friend on Steam and I have to admit, it was disappointing not being able to launch it as my buddies and I geeked out by waiting to play upon its midnight release. Once we did get it to run the next day, it had its ups and downs.
Yes I agree with some commenters, this game was overhyped (or was the result of a ridiculously-funded marketing campaign by Sega and Gearbox) but it's a solid game. The plot is obviously straightforward as you're basically investigating what happened to the Sulaco and the environment is very familiar (ahem, Doom 3). However, it's been suspenseful watching a friend unweld a door while you wait and cover, looking at your motion tracker's blips, and wondering what's on the other side (I've taken point several times and have since been facehugged in which my friends laugh at my initiative). My buddies and I are currently working on the campaign in "Ultimate Badass" mode which adds realism but the Alien AI is still a joke. They do occasionally get organized and surprise us from the walls, ceilings, air vents, and wide-open structural staircases.
The best (redeeming) quality of the game in my opinion, is the cool weapon upgrade system. After barely completing two levels of the first campaign, I did a magazine increase and a red-dot scope for my standard M41 Pulse Rifle along with a laser sight for my pistol, and unlocked a submachine gun/Uzi-style weapon. Other upgrades include laser sights for most weapons, under-sling flame-thrower & shotgun attachments, silencers (not sure why), aftermarket butt-stocks for recoil reduction, and other hardware tweaks that improve weapon performance (reduced shotgun reload time, etc.)
One odd example of continuity is the standard flame thrower from the movie is absent, yet I have 3 different shotguns to choose from. Ultimately you should not expect this game to be on par with the big dogs like Crysis, F.E.A.R., Doom 3, Left 4 Dead 2, etc. but it's definitely fun to play with friends via 4-player co-op or at the very least, a game that's worth renting.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]casualcolors[/nom]It's not even close to the title of "one of the worst games of all time" on PC. It might compete for "most overhyped game of the generation" crown though.[/citation]

most disappointing game, yes, especially how they showed the demo, and it was nowhere in the game at all.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]So Sega and GearBox are to blame.Sega kept interrupting GearBox for borderlands, and GearBox, being tired of the interuptions, had the game sub-contracted out, and..........................***POOF*** Insta-poo....[/citation]Wrong! Sega had nothing to do with Borderlands 2 OR Duke Nukem Forever, both of which caused these delays! DNF was published by Take-Two Interactive. Borderlands 2 was published by Take-Two by way of subsidiary 2K Games. If you're thinking 2K Games is part of Sega, you are incorrect. 2K Games (formerly Visual Concepts) was bought from Sega by Take-Two in 2005.

So once again, Sega had nothing to do with these delays. Way to spread misinformation though. I gotta give you mad props on that!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alfaalex101[/nom]Why you would even bring in Torchlight II (which was really just a well polished Diablo 3 clone with a few extras, let's not kid ourselves) baffles me and reduces your argument to zilch.[/citation]...and in one sentence you've lost all credibility, forever.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]...and in one sentence you've lost all credibility, forever.[/citation]
really, thats the one point that made him lose credibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.