Aliens: Colonial Marines Back in the Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigahertz20

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I've been playing the new AVP game that just came out a few weeks ago, it's fun but it could have been alot better. One huge negative is the game crashes on alot of peoples computers, especially if you don't run it from Steam in DX9 mode only. The first time I launched it from Steam, I chose the regular launch option and within 15 mins of playing my computer blue screened for the first time since I've installed Windows 7 several months ago. That is unacceptable for a final release game, no wonder people stick to the console for games, you don't have to configure anything to get the game to run.

Negatives I've seen so far:

-The single player campaigns are pretty short
-There is no Predator net like the 2nd Predator movie had
-The marine flame thrower is useless in multiplayer
-The Alien is useless against the Predator 1 on 1, Predator can just throw the disc constantly and run away
-Predator disc might be a little overpowered
-Voice communication in game is echoey and stutters
-No dedicated servers yet, if the person hosting the game leaves it kicks everybody
-You can't spit acid as the Alien in multiplayer
-You can't mute voice spammers in multiplayer, so if somebody wants to be an ass they can and you can't mute them

Positives:

The game is still fun to play

G

thank you amd for selling me your wonderful 5870 to kill aliens with. what's a measly 400 spent when compared to spending trillions on a space ship capable of light speed travel. that's a no brainer!

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I liked the aliens game that came out for ps one about 14-15 years ago. I was still in the 8th grade but that PS game was a blast as it was fully 3d and the queen alien at that time was huge and fun to run away from in 3d.... also the super nes version of alien 3 was great in 2d....

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hollowtek[/nom]thank you amd for selling me your wonderful 5870 to kill aliens with. what's a measly 400 spent when compared to spending trillions on a space ship capable of light speed travel. that's a no brainer![/citation]

i have to wait until fermi comes out so i can get some sweet price-drops on a 5870.

heraisu

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Gigahertz20[/nom]The first time I launched it from Steam, I chose the regular launch option and within 15 mins of playing my computer blue screened for the first time since I've installed Windows 7 several months ago.[/citation]

A game cannot cause your system to bluescreen. You are either unstable (be it from bad hardware, bad/weak PSU, overheating, etc) or your drivers are really, really bad. What was the BSOD error, exactly? Just curious.

I believe since XP, software could not cause BSODs anymore because of the way the kernel runs in its own memory space... you are left with hardware error, or hardware interface error (drivers).

If a "lot" of people are experiencing this problem with this DX11 game, I'm sorry, but I have to point at ATI's drivers (for DX11 at least) as the first culprit, and their hardware as the second most likely.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Heraisu[/nom]A game cannot cause your system to bluescreen. You are either unstable (be it from bad hardware, bad/weak PSU, overheating, etc) or your drivers are really, really bad. What was the BSOD error, exactly? Just curious.I believe since XP, software could not cause BSODs anymore because of the way the kernel runs in its own memory space... you are left with hardware error, or hardware interface error (drivers).If a "lot" of people are experiencing this problem with this DX11 game, I'm sorry, but I have to point at ATI's drivers (for DX11 at least) as the first culprit, and their hardware as the second most likely.[/citation]
The game is just extremely buggy.
Doesn't play well with a 64bit OS or DX11. But even on x32 and DX9, the game still crashes.
But I played the game for ~1h, and just really didn't feel like starting it again.

I'm hoping for great things from you Gearbox.
And... haven't you released three DLC's for Borderlands already? (Zombie Island, Underdome, Secret Armory)

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I will trust the gamer reviews at Amazon and they suck. It is a crappy DRM infected STEAM game. You can not sell it or gift it when you are done on the PC like you can the kiddie console versions. People say steam is good. It is draconian DRM if you ask me as bad as the piece of crap calle Games for Winblows Live.
I can see a day where these developers start tying games to consoles too. You buy your crapbox 360 game and put it in the first time, whammo, it sends a code of your hardware out and installs. Try and put it in another console and SOL.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
"Aliens: Colonial Marines is scheduled to hit the PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo DS sometime in 2010... for now."

PC..mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I picked up the new AvP for PC. So what if it is ran though Steam, at least I bought a copy and did my part to make Aliens: Colonial Marines a reality. The new AvP based on what I've played so far has about 12-15 hours of single player and unlimited hours of multiplayer fun. It has already been patch twice, so any bugs still around should be fixed soon.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Heraisu[/nom]A game cannot cause your system to bluescreen. You are either unstable (be it from bad hardware, bad/weak PSU, overheating, etc) or your drivers are really, really bad. What was the BSOD error, exactly? Just curious.I believe since XP, software could not cause BSODs anymore because of the way the kernel runs in its own memory space... you are left with hardware error, or hardware interface error (drivers).If a "lot" of people are experiencing this problem with this DX11 game, I'm sorry, but I have to point at ATI's drivers (for DX11 at least) as the first culprit, and their hardware as the second most likely.[/citation]Where are you getting your information from? I have had bluescreens from games plenty of times, not recently (before i switched to ubuntu studio) but I have had them. The wrong combination of hardware can cause all sorts of problems. There is no possible way, one person, can have tried all hardware configurations. Just isn't possible. Well, maybe a millionare with nothing to do but not the average joe's of the world. Just aint happenin.

I've been playing the AvsP 2010 release for a couple of weeks now and though its not a perfect game by any means, I've really enjoyed it so far.

I've completed the Marine and Alien single player campaigns and I do agree they're shorter than I expected so my comments are for the AvsP single player campaigns.

I guess that's what you get for a 3 in 1 game package though they are three independent packages in one, what is strange to me is that all features you see used with different species through the game are not available as you play the actual character.

For example as the Marine you have to contend with the Alien spitting acid, but when you play as the Alien that feature is not available.

Also there are features from past games that would have been great to have carried to this release, for instance the Alien tail whip in the older games could destroy the robot sentry guns from behind, but not in this release.

And the Aliens tail whip if on target should be a one hit kill if that tail cuts through an opponent they shouldn't be able to struggle to their feet, that's lame IMO.

To address one previous comment about the Alien being useless against the Predator, well I slaughtered all three Predators in the single player campaign but the trick is to use the Aliens speed and what ever you do, don't stand still for a second keep moving, that is your true advantage over the Predator you're twice as fast as him.

Seeing as how you have no distance firing weapons as the Alien you have to use hit and run tactics, or you're dead plain and simple.

For me I've been addicted to Aliens vs Predator since it was first released on PC, however IMO the best AvsP ever released was the Atari Jaguar release, no one has touched that IMO.

And hopefully this upcoming Colonial Marines release will be worth it, for all of us addicted to the series, my 2 cents.

heraisu

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I was rated down into oblivion? Figures.
A game CAN NOT cause your system to BSOD. That ended in the Windows 98 days (not just games, programs in general).
I'm sorry so many of you have instability issues and want to rate down the reality of it to cover it up. If the BSOD only happens in DX11 mode as stated above, it's a driver problem.

I'm not saying the game can't crash, that seems to be what others are defending, of course a game can crash, but it can not cause the entire system to crash unless there is a hardware problem (such as the video card no longer responding), that is a DRIVER problem.

Now go ahead and rate me down again, quick! Before you get another BSOD because of a game... lol.

heraisu

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
EDIT BUTTON:
I mean it ended AFTER the win98 era. Around 2000 to XP. To the above: Why would I have to have tested every possible hardware combination to know a BSOD can't be caused by software (except drivers)? Your argument seems to actually support me since you're admitting that the BSODs happen in certain hardware setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS