[SOLVED] Alienware 15R3 display issues with all Distros

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Hey, as the title suggests, I can't seem to get ANY distro to play nice with my laptop. Of course, as highlighted in the title, it's an Alienware 15R3 - i7-7700HQ, 24GB DDR4, GTX 1060 6GB (switchable with Intel HD 620 onboard), NVMe 240GB SSD and 2TB platter drive.

Seems like every distro I try is almost functionally fine - everything looks as it should, it boots without issues, etc. The problem is that if I put the computer to sleep or the display gets turned off for whatever reason, the backlight REFUSES to turn back on unless I reboot. It's infuriatingly and strange. I thought at first that maybe the internal display was just refusing to wake up again, but upon close inspection (and lots of fiddling with flashlights) I can confirm that the display itself is actually still showing an image and I can still use it if I tilt the screen and shine a light at the right angle, but the light isn't turning on. External displays work totally fine and never have any issues, but while that might be okay for docking my laptop, it obviously makes the computer unusable as a laptop unless I switch back to Windows 10 (hurl).

What could be the cause of this? It seems to have happened regardless of what Nvidia driver I have installed. I haven't tried the recent 19.04 builds of ubuntu-based systems with the bleeding edge kernels, but 18.10 and under all had the same issue - regardless of it it was Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint. Xubuntu, or Zorin OS or Xubuntu. I thought about trying something like Manjaro or Arch but I quite like the Debian-derived Distros and this issue shouldn't be happening in the first place.

The only things I can think of are maybe checking for a BIOS update and trying the latest releases, but outside of that I've been trying everything and I'm stumped.

Ideas? Thanks!

Solution
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the all the wonderful suggestions provided in this thread.

/s.

That aside, the issue is resolved now - of course when I finally get around to posting the question after many prior hours of fucking around with it in the last several months, the issue is magically fixed with the release of 19.04 / possibly from having a newer kernel.

This thread can be closed.

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the all the wonderful suggestions provided in this thread.

/s.

That aside, the issue is resolved now - of course when I finally get around to posting the question after many prior hours of fucking around with it in the last several months, the issue is magically fixed with the release of 19.04 / possibly from having a newer kernel.

This thread can be closed.

Solution