Alienware Admits Consoles Are Now Resembling PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I love building computers and playing PC games... But how am I going to get the new Okami, Catherine, Monster Hunter, Rez, Siren, Virtua Fighter, Lumines, Tekken, Silent Hill, Katamari, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, The Last Guardian and the like on PC? Not that PC doesn't have its own strengths (FPS, RTS, MMO's, Simulation.... ect)

Also wanted to note that I realize the amount of genres you regularly see on the PC have been expanding since Steam. Was surprised to see SFIV on PC. Still a lot of work to be done until the need for me to have a console to play these games is no more.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I'm just stoked about the new XboxOne and PS4 because its x86 and the games being x86 means the PC will get more games on release. We also have more console users because the cost of a PS4 vs a high end PC is black and white. PS4 = $399, My PC, custom build, all parts from newegg.com = $3100 +/-. Of course I can do much more than a PS4 can but for gaming the PC is a HUGE hit to my pocket book.

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
The hardware may be advancing yes, albeit AMD garbage, but it doesn't change the fact that you still have the console format, no upgrades, a terrible, useless OS and no control. Maybe in another few generations it may truly match PC versatility, but I dont think it ever will

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Fanboy talks have no integrity. Similar like dust blown by wind.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I always thought the XBox360 and PS3 resembled PC's (from a hardware perspective), but it's true, this most recent gen will resembles PC's far more than in the past. I hope this does equate to better game performance across the board, and less headache for developers to deliver to the different platforms.

ArielAtom

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
Yes they resemble PCs. Yes they have hardware like PCs. But I can still open a browser without having a magnifying glass just to see what I'm putting in. My graphics look better and I can mod the games *legally*. I can upgrade my PC and I don't have to pay for PSN or XBL like the new consoles will make you. Do I care about killzone? I can run an emulator on a PC for those games.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Man, is anyone not realizing the architecture differences in these consoles compared to the PC? I absolutely love my pc (i7 3820 @ 4.2Ghz, 8GB of 2100Mhz, 660 Ti) but these consoles ARE in a league of their own. Between the gameplay I have seen VS. the specifications they have, it's simply amazing what they are capable of doing on a unified operating system/hardware setup.

The first thing I said to my buddies was that they resemble PC's physically and obviously hardware wise. I will be patiently awaiting to see what they can do with them.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

If the console satisfied all the criteria you mentioned, it would in essence be a PC which would defy the concept of a console. Considering the price and the arsenal of games, I'd say its a good investment considering the average lifespan of a console. You don't have to worry about upgrades since all games will run well inspite of the hardware aging. All that said I am a PC gamer since my uses go beyond gaming and I am happy with the console hardware being more PC like since it makes things more better for PC gamers

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Whats wrong with AMD hardware? Their graphics cards are just as good as Nvidia and quite often better at the price points.

Granted their cpu is not as strong as intel but thats mainly due to poor game optimisation for their architecture. However this is not a problem on consoles as the games are made specificly to run on the hardware. Also they have the best unified solution making it cheaper, more energy efficient and easier to cool.

so obviously you have no idea what you are talking about

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
you dont get to say "whats wrong with amd hardware" and then tell someone else they dont know what they are talking about.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Wow great counter argument, how about giving some reasons as to why AMD isnt the best firm to use to create x86 consoles.

you just look like an uneducated fanboy atm

CDdude55

Distinguished
This has been obvious for sometime now, each generation of console hardware has incorperated PC oriented features. Since around the sixth generation of console hardware we've been seeing this, the inclusion of networking, then eventually HDD's instead of memory cards, then cloud computing features and media streaming and now the x86 architechture all in which are features of any modern PC.

The real difference has always been content, as consoles still are mainly video gaming machines so we see lots of gaming content that is exclusive to there realm. So consoles are still different in a sense and are still needed for those who what to play that exclusive content like GTA V and what not. That's the main selling point for someone like myself who isn't big on recording video and sharing it with my friends over Twitch or having the ability to manipulate my TV through my console.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
well too be fair, if u have a quick enough system, i bet there will be someone out there that will port the games to PC unofficially, or even run the PS4's or XBOne's O/S onto there PC, this will then open the PC to being the best platform out there, because it would play amazing PC games with amazing spec, and then possibly adding the power of the console games toboot

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

Emulators. Anything that is half as powerful at a 2500k @ 3.2 and as powerful as a gtx 560 ti can run most games at 1080p (with a cpu bottleneck), if you have something like a 2500k @ 4.2 (like me) the only problems is occasional lag in games like MGS2 and Starfox adventures.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Your saying PC's are going to be able to emulate these new console games? Maybe in 10 years. MAYBE.

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Please at least try a little harder to get the names of games right its Star wars the OLD republic lol not new its 3000 years before the moves

ArielAtom

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

You realize that all they have is a 7870 right? It's not like it has Titan power -.-.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Ok then. Run a virtual box and play the original Crysis on it. Or even Counter Strike Source. Let me know how that works out. You will not be "emulating" these consoles for a long time. XBox 360 and PS3 are just barely playable NOW and they are almost 7-8 years old.

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
"AMD pointed out a very obvious flaw in the industry, which is that games are developed on PCs using SDKs, brought to the console, then ported back to PCs again. With next-generation consoles using x86-based hardware, development will be more universal across all three except for small features..."

This is exactly why:

1. Port overs to PC SHOULD now be better nearly all the time graphically and easier to do as mentioned.
2. Game development and creation of a game SHOULD NOT take nearly as long as it has been as of recent years.
3. Why games across all platforms SHOULD start becoming cheaper overall.

Just my opinion.

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
"AMD pointed out a very obvious flaw in the industry, which is that games are developed on PCs using SDKs, brought to the console, then ported back to PCs again. With next-generation consoles using x86-based hardware, development will be more universal across all three except for small features..."

This is exactly why:

1. Port overs to PC SHOULD now be better nearly all the time graphically and easier to do as mentioned.
2. Game development and creation of a game SHOULD NOT take nearly as long as it has been as of recent years.
3. Why games across all platforms SHOULD start becoming cheaper overall.

Just my opinion.

funguseater

Distinguished
"I'm just stoked about the new XboxOne and PS4 because its x86 and the games being x86 means the PC will get more games on release. We also have more console users because the cost of a PS4 vs a high end PC is black and white. PS4 = $399, My PC, custom build, all parts from newegg.com = $3100 +/-. Of course I can do much more than a PS4 can but for gaming the PC is a HUGE hit to my pocket book

You realize that the PS4/XB1 is NOT in any way top of the line computer hardware right? it has an middling AMD APU and a crappy GPU equivalent to what, a 7770? Good thing TVs are only 1080p and forget about FXAA TRESSFX PHYSX, unless you are shooting for 30fps.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Have you tried Japanese PC games ?

Status
Not open for further replies.