Question Alienware Aurora R13 - Fans Making Noise Through Speakers (EMI?)

GodDarnit

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2015
Ever since I upgraded to my Alienware Aurora R13, I've noticed a faint high pitched buzzing/whirring sound whenever I move my mouse and whenever CPU activity spikes. My previous speaker setup was some small 3" speakers with little output, so the sound was hardly noticeable, although I always knew it was there. Recently I upgraded to a set of 8" speakers, and naturally the larger speakers are a little louder -- and so is the buzzing noise.

An interesting discovery I just made after opening Planetside 2 and letting my CPU activity bump up, is that the frequency of the sound coming from my speakers is identical to that of one of the fans in the back of my machine. I believe the fan's spinning is causing some EMI issues because the sound is persistent across speaker setups and across different power outlets, and it is still there when all peripherals are unplugged. I was thinking I had a ground loop somewhere, but now I don't believe that is the root of my problems.

What steps would you recommend I take to eliminate the EMI coming from the fan? Could a simple fan upgrade address this?

Thanks!