Question Alienware AW2721D - "Custom resolution not supported by display" (?)

Aug 22, 2024
I frequently use custom resolutions on this monitor and have never experienced any problems doing so. However, recently I attempted to create the custom resolution "2400x1440@240hz" and was told that my display doesn't support it. I have no idea why it's not supported though, it doesn't go above the native 2560x1440@240hz resolution or it's pixel clock. Seemingly that'd mean the custom resolution is supported by display right? I am naive to this subject so I'd love to be educated.

Generally monitors are not limited to specific resolutions, the supported timings are just the ones contained in the EDID, which will show up as selectable options in the OS. But if a custom resolution is set (i.e. the EDID is edited) then it should work.

Can we see the exact settings that are being used? Make sure to select CVT Reduced Blank as the timing format, don't leave it on automatic. Please refer to the instructions in section 6.3 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/