News Alienware Clarifies Upgrade Limits for Area-51m R2, AMD GPU Options Coming

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
TBH it is prob kinda difficult to ensure compatibility for chips about which you have no idea. However, the Area 51m is decent when you consider it as a desktop replacement - just ignore the upgradability part. So if buying, keep in mind that you will not be able to upgrade to any new chips, and that in what, 1-2 years? the same-gen upgrade chips that Dell sells will prebably not be sold any longer. EG, if you buy it with a RTX 2060, don't expect Dell to keep selling the RTX 2070S/2080S for more that ~1-2 years.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I ordered the A11 with the I9-10900KF the day after it was released. That was may ~16 with a arrival date of June 24th. 6 full weeks with warnings that it would take that long due to Cov19. Well, I didn't hear anything by June 23rd (should have already shipped). So I called them. The support guy told me it was delayed one week until June 30 and gave me a discount to wait. He told me "Its on the test bench now" (which raises an alert for an IT guy like me). The support guy also told me to look in an hour and it would be updates. 24 hours later nothing was updated and I got an official notice from Dell (ON the day it was supposed to arrive) that it would be July 20th (well, like I said, the support guy was lying). So I canceled. The Alienware reddit forms are full of people now with the same issue. My issue is not that it was delayed but that Dell has known that it would be and told nobody... probably hundreds of people. I can't condone this, as someone who has not had an issue like this buying over 10 million in business end Dell technology (VMware, servers, switchs, storage, latitude, optiplex, etc...) over th past 10 years.

So, if you think you're gonna order that thing and get it any time soon, you best not plan for it.

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
I ordered the A11 with the I9-10900KF the day after it was released. That was may ~16 with a arrival date of June 24th. 6 full weeks with warnings that it would take that long due to Cov19. Well, I didn't hear anything by June 23rd (should have already shipped). So I called them. The support guy told me it was delayed one week until June 30 and gave me a discount to wait. He told me "Its on the test bench now" (which raises an alert for an IT guy like me). The support guy also told me to look in an hour and it would be updates. 24 hours later nothing was updated and I got an official notice from Dell (ON the day it was supposed to arrive) that it would be July 20th (well, like I said, the support guy was lying). So I canceled. The Alienware reddit forms are full of people now with the same issue. My issue is not that it was delayed but that Dell has known that it would be and told nobody... probably hundreds of people. I can't condone this, as someone who has not had an issue like this buying over 10 million in business end Dell technology (VMware, servers, switchs, storage, latitude, optiplex, etc...) over th past 10 years.

So, if you think you're gonna order that thing and get it any time soon, you best not plan for it.
Ouch. Just one question: why did the test bench part raise a red alert in your mind? I have no idea how the building process works, so...