Question All 2.4Ghz WiFi devices stopped working at the same time, but 5Ghz WIFI still works ?

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Recently, all my 2.4 WiFi devices stopped working for the entire house. However, the 5G WIFI still works.

I can sometimes get the 2.4 WIFI to connect, but it will say " No Internet" for the option.

I don't know if there was recently some software/security update which causes all my routers to be too old to work or if my house is being flooded by some kind of satellite signals or something. I honestly have no idea why my entire house with multiple WIFI access points and routers have all stopped working on the 2.4 band all at the same time.

I have tried doing a factory reset on my access points and even the gateway for my entire house, but the problem persists.

Any idea what is causing this or how to fix it?

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Recently, all my 2.4 WiFi devices stopped working for the entire house. However, the 5G WIFI still works.

I can sometimes get the 2.4 WIFI to connect, but it will say " No Internet" for the option.

I don't know if there was recently some software/security update which causes all my routers to be too old to work or if my house is being flooded by some kind of satellite signals or something. I honestly have no idea why my entire house with multiple WIFI access points and routers have all stopped working on the 2.4 band all at the same time.

I have tried doing a factory reset on my access points and even the gateway for my entire house, but the problem persists.

Thanks.
One possible explanation is that your router allows channel 13 (depends on your location) but your devices don't support channel 13. Your router could have the channel set to "auto" and changed to channel 13. Manually set your router to channel 1, 6, or 11.
Or the 2.4Ghz radio on your router could have failed.

Reactions: lantis3

Thanks.
Model of router in question? Do you have multiple routers or one router and several WAPs (or extra routers in repeater mode)? Work with the primary router first to see what's going on - maybe even unplug the others to make sure there's no wifi interference.

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Model of router in question? Do you have multiple routers or one router and several WAPs (or extra routers in repeater mode)? Work with the primary router first to see what's going on - maybe even unplug the others to make sure there's no wifi interference.

They have sort of sometimes work now, then stop working at other times. Makes things difficult to troubleshoot when item is somewhat working. So I'm sure what is going on. Maybe my best option is to throw it all in the trash and start over with new equipment. I have no clue why it would completely stop working for a day, then all of a sudden start working again.

Anyway, it's a

1. ASUS RT-N10P Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_3754

2. Tenda with firmware
Firmware Version:
V15.03.05.20_multi

3. LUXUL XWR-1750V1 Firmware Version: 5.1.0.1 ( I think this one stated working after I updated the firmware again)

So please don't spend too much time on it since it seem to be working for now. Just if you have any ideas off the top of your head on what may have called these problems all of a sudden.

Thanks

It all depends on what you mean they don't work. If you can not see the 2.4g radio name at all that is different from you can actually connect to the 2.4g radio but it just does not transfer data.

Unfortunately routers try to be too smart and will a times change the radio channels they are using. This can mean they are running on channels that have more interference at times or as kanewolf mentioned they can choose channel 13. Best choice tends to be to manually set the channels but many people do not want to deal with the details which is why the routers have that auto feature to begin with.

It also is going to depend if both what you call your gateway and your AP have wifi radios. If it was a single device you would think a bad radio chip could cause this but it is unlikely to happen to multiple chips at the same time.

I really hate wifi it has so many random issues. Ethernet seems to never fail.

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
It all depends on what you mean they don't work. If you can not see the 2.4g radio name at all that is different from you can actually connect to the 2.4g radio but it just does not transfer data.

Unfortunately routers try to be too smart and will a times change the radio channels they are using. This can mean they are running on channels that have more interference at times or as kanewolf mentioned they can choose channel 13. Best choice tends to be to manually set the channels but many people do not want to deal with the details which is why the routers have that auto feature to begin with.

It also is going to depend if both what you call your gateway and your AP have wifi radios. If it was a single device you would think a bad radio chip could cause this but it is unlikely to happen to multiple chips at the same time.

I really hate wifi it has so many random issues. Ethernet seems to never fail.

When I say they don't work, I mean it sees the 2.4 connection however when trying to connect, the device will say like " No Internet available" or something like " unable to connect" but if I connect with 5Ghz, its perfect internet.

So the wifi name is there, sometimes you can't connect, and sometimes you can connect but no internet. This happens to a bunch of the wifi access points at the same time period, then just started working again a few days later .

A little about my setup, I have a lot of rooms and the construction materials used in the walls are almost wifi proof. As a result, I literally have to have a different WIFI access point in every room that I want WIFI.

I think I have 7 different devices doing WIFI and still not 100% coverage in my house. Always adding more WIFI to expand coverage.

When I say they don't work, I mean it sees the 2.4 connection however when trying to connect, the device will say like " No Internet available" or something like " unable to connect" but if I connect with 5Ghz, its perfect internet.

So the wifi name is there, sometimes you can't connect, and sometimes you can connect but no internet. This happens to a bunch of the wifi access points at the same time period, then just started working again a few days later .

A little about my setup, I have a lot of rooms and the construction materials used in the walls are almost wifi proof. As a result, I literally have to have a different WIFI access point in every room that I want WIFI.

I think I have 7 different devices doing WIFI and still not 100% coverage in my house. Always adding more WIFI to expand coverage.
That could be the problem.
Signal inteference.
I have 3 in my home but I have them on different channels.
Main on channel1, second on channel 6, and last on channel 11.
If they are all on the same channel they can and will interfere with each other.

Reactions: miogpsrocks

kanewolf

Titan

This just got much more complicated for us to diagnose.
Please create a drawing of your network. Label all make/model of network hardware and upload that picture to imgur or another image hosting site.
Post a link to that picture here.

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
This just got much more complicated for us to diagnose.
Please create a drawing of your network. Label all make/model of network hardware and upload that picture to imgur or another image hosting site.
Post a link to that picture here.

Just wondering if a security update in windows or android could affect older Wi-Fi equipment, maybe without the latest security protocols.

It seems to be working now, so maybe we can just leave this alone unless it starts acting up again.

Just a quick explanation.

I have an ATT fiber gateway going to a Dell 16 port switch which branches out to all the rooms which have a smaller Wi-Fi router in access point mode or with DHCP server disabled. The various decides in the room either connect to their Wi-Fi access point in the room or one of the LAN ports in that room's switch(dumb down router).

I also have some Bluetooth gateway for a flume water meter, 3 Orbit B-Hyve outdoor watering system, variety of security camera, ADT CCTV NVR Camera system, also a TIVO DVR system on the network.

However, it seems to be ok for now, so don't worry about it.

Thanks.