[SOLVED] All applications freeze, other oddities and when at worst its a black screen with a stuttering mouse.

joshlev1s

Commendable
May 27, 2019
When running multiple applications, playing certain games and downloading, my computer starts to face weird issues that when given an error always says I have ran out of ram on my system.

The weird issues I've gotten have been:

• All opened applications freeze and become unresponsive. You can't close them by pressing x you have to close on taskbar or task manager.
  • Black desktop with no icons and frozen taskbar with a stuttering laggy mouse that'll make a strange high pitch noise when moving. Forcing me to turn off the computer by the power on my case. This issue occurs mostly when downloading or decompressing over an hour or two.

My attempts at fixing the problem have been:

• Manually editing the page file for both my drives
  • Trying to assess my ram with memtest
  • Running malwarebytes and windows defender scan on my c: drive.
  • Buying new ram, cpu and motherboard (I was going to do this anyway)

My thoughts now:

I can only theorize on what could be the problem because I really don't know. I'm thinking I could have some software installed that runs in the background and has a memory leak or I've some malware that's pretty well hidden??? I really don't know for sure though.

My Build:

Ryzen 5 3600
Palit GTX 1060 6gb overclocked (I've tested turning off overclocking in case it was a GPU issue)
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8gb @3200mhz
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750 W
C: Drive Crucial MX500 500gb
F: Drive WD Blue 1tb
Case is Phanteks P400

Solution
I'd boot a parted magic live cd/usb and run short and long smart tests on your drives. If the system is trying to swap to the disk and the disk is bad, any delays there will slow the whole system down like you describe.