Question All Corsair fan LEDs blinking every three seconds using iCue

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a AMD 5950X PC using a ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII motherboard. I am using a Corsair H115i CPU AIO cooler and five LL and QL fans along with four Corsair LED strips, four Corsair RGB RAM sticks and a Corsair K95 keybaord. I built this PC a couple of years ago and have had no issues until yesterday.

When I boot up the PC all the devices LEDs light up normally until iCue initializes. When it initializes the PC makes a short chirp and the LEDs flash for second and then the LEDs light up according to how I configured it in iCue.

Now when iCue initializes, the LEDs configures correctly but all the fan LEDS blinks every three seconds. The CPU cooler LEDs and the four RGB LED strips work fine. Here is the weird part, when I try to configure the Commander Pro XT, iCue does NOT recognize any of the fans as connected. I did an autodetect and iCue just hangs. iCue recognizes the keyboard, CPU cooler and RGB RAM LEDS and devices with no issues.

I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch and the problem persists as soon as I install iCue. I also dida clean uninstall of iCue and installed different older versions and the problem persists in the same manner. I thought the Commander Pro XT was at fault so I replaced the unit and the problem still persists. I checked the USB port where the Commander Pro is connected to on the motherboard and it works fine. Windows does not detect any USB issues in Device Manager.

When I boot Windows, the LEDs again work fine until iCue initialzes and when I shut down Windows the LEDs again will work fine during the shut down process. One thing I noted is that iCue thinks there are six fans connected to the Commander but there are only five...I am now at a complete loss.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I did a complete software removal, cleaning the registry and removing all files and that did not work. Someone mentioned that the problem is caused by a bad fan. I removed all the fan connections one by one and the problem persists. This is driving me nuts....

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Adding more info...
When the LED fans are configured, the RGB strips, RGB RAM and RGB keyboard all work normally. When you do an autodetect, the software locks up and you have to go back.

When I disabled all the fan's LEDs in iCue, the RGB strips now starts blinking.

When I disable the RGB strips, the RGB RAM goes wonky

So every time I disable one type of LED, the next set of LEDs go nuts...

I'd like to say it is a software issue but when I reinstalled Windows from scratch, the problem persists. I changed the Commander XT and the prblem persists. The only remaining things would be to change the power supply and the motherboard.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I was finally able to fix this problem... It appears to be something with the Corsair Commander Core XT itself. I had it in the PC for a couple of years and it was working fine until the other day. I even replaced the device and the problem persisted. I replaced the Commander Core XT with the Commander Pro that I had used previously. After configuring all the fan LEDs everything is working fine. See what happens in the next few days if the problem rears its ugly head again... Crossing my fingers.