[SOLVED] All devices on network dropping intermittently.

Apr 4, 2020
I am being driven crazy with my networking issues. It might go a day without dropping, or it might drop every 10 minutes. I bought a different router at the request of the internet technician, but the same problem occurs. Another technician was at the house today and switched out the modem, with no effect. He was the 4th person they have sent out this year.

The router is a TP-Link AC1200. The modems have been Spectrum modem model number E31T2V1.

I have tried many things that had been suggested to me. Multiple different channels on the router to avoid interference. I turned off the dual bands of the router and tried to use it with only one device on the network and still have the same issue. I am frankly out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Some cable modems allow you to access a GUI by putting 192.168.100.1 into a browser. You could try that. You may be able to see a log from the modem of the signal statistics.

kanewolf

Titan
I am being driven crazy with my networking issues. It might go a day without dropping, or it might drop every 10 minutes. I bought a different router at the request of the internet technician, but the same problem occurs. Another technician was at the house today and switched out the modem, with no effect. He was the 4th person they have sent out this year.

The router is a TP-Link AC1200. The modems have been Spectrum modem model number E31T2V1.

I have tried many things that had been suggested to me. Multiple different channels on the router to avoid interference. I turned off the dual bands of the router and tried to use it with only one device on the network and still have the same issue. I am frankly out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you have wired devices that lose connection or just WIFI ?

Apr 4, 2020
Updates: I had zero issues at all yesterday. This morning however, the internet drops on all devices again. I looked at the modem and the "online" light on it blinked on and off, telling me it's likely not the router. I followed the advice Kanewolf gave me about plugging directly into the modem, and the internet wouldn't work. The diagnostic message said "The ethernet did not have a valid IP config." That could be a local PC problem, but I don't think it explains the other devices.

After that, I followed a tutorial online that suggested turning off the "fast reboot" setting and I haven't had that particular issue since. The internet, even while plugged into the modem still drops at random.

edit: The diagnostic said the "default gatway is not available."

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020
I had similar issues as you. Same modem too.

Last month I was having speed issues with Spectrum, they sent a tech out, confirmed the signals, and replaced the modem with the Technicolor one you mentioned. Then started having issues like buffering, inability to connect to networks, etc. Wired, wireless, didn't matter. Changed my router and changed my switch. Issues persisted. Sent another tech out, tech saw the downstream levels were a little high and put in a splitter. Didn't help.

Finally decided I was just going to replace the modem from Spectrum, and wouldn't you know it, it worked. If the techs don't think it's a signal issue, I recommend buying a modem from Amazon and hooking it up. That way you can monitor the signals yourself (the Technicolor modem from Spectrum doesn't allow it) and then pinpoint that the issue is on their end.

Like I said, replacing the modem solved my issues, I think those E31T2V1s are garbage.

Reactions: SamirD