Question All fans at full speed after shutdown (possibly falty PSU?)

PeterPinus

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Hey guys,

So, for a little while, when I turn off my desktop PC (with the case button or in windows button) the monitor stops receiving signal but all of my case fans, CPU fans and GPU fans start throttling and going full speed (I guess by the noise they make), the CPU Fan led turns red. If I press the power button again the fans lower to normal speed, RAM led turns on, and briefly it goes back to the previous state. The only way I can shut it down properly is by flicking the switch in the back of my PSU. When I use the PC again, I flick the switch on and it goes to that state of full speed fans again and I have to press the power button on the case to turn it on.
I have tried some solutions I saw online like turning on or off hibernation (I had it off because of SSD), tried going into BIOS and disabling:
- fast startup
- startup after power loss
- turning off
I also tried taking the plug out of the PSU and leaving it a few minutes, pressing the power button and then plug it again and try to boot up but I found all of these solutions innefective.
One thing I found relevant is that during the process if flicking the switch in the PSU I took an electric shock two or three times alreadi (might the PSU be faulty?)

SPECS
  • FX 8350 at Stock Speeds
  • H80i GT Corsair Cooler
  • R9 270X DCII TOP 2GB (stock) Asus
  • M5A97 EVO R2.0 Asus Mobo
  • RM850i Corsair PSU
  • 4x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2200MHz
  • 250GB SSD SAMSUNG 860 Evo

PeterPinus

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
That could be caused by a failing motherboard or failing PSU.
Have you encountered any other issues lately?
Thanks for the reply man! So a few months ago I had a spike surge in my street that fried most of the outlets in my house and my PSU included. It still had warranty so I replaced it and I thought only the PSU was damaged but maybe it wasn't the only thing? Other than that I randomly get black screen flashing for a few seconds every once in a while.