Question All games are crashing to desktop without any errors

UniformGreen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Hello, I hope I posted this thread in the right section.
My problem is the following: every time I try to play a game, after playing games for a while, the game crashes to desktop without any error. It just freezes for a second and then it goes to desktop (it's random, sometimes this happens after 10 minutes, sometimes after 5-6 hours, sometimes it doesn't happen at all).

I checked for everything I knew, I benchmarked my CPU, GPU, Ram, SSDs + HDD but no errors popped up. I reinstalled the GPU drivers both manually and using DDU (with and without safe mode), I even upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 but with no luck. After that, I reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 11 but with no luck in sight.

It doesn't help either that no error is showing after the games crash. Once or twice it gave me a generic DX error driver that crashed, but I don't think this is the root cause because it doesn't give me this error every time. Also, twice the whole system froze while playing the new Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered and I had to shut down my PC using the power button.

Also my temps are really fine, I have a Corsair H100i for my CPU and it never goes above 65-70 degrees Celsius, nor does my GPU ever gets above 60 degrees Celsius under full load. Also, the CPU, Motherboard and cooler are fairly new, I bought them in november 2020.

What do you think this could be the cause? I was thinking that my PSU is failing since it's really old (I don't even remember when I bought it, but it's at least 6-8 years old) but I want to be sure before replacing it because I don't want to waste any money, even more so in the current economic crisis we're in.

My PC configuration:
CPU: i5 10600KF 4.1GHz (did not overclock it in fear of not blowing my PSU)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Ram: 2 x Hyper X Fury Black 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
PSU: Sirtec High Power 80+ bronze 600W
Edit: Storage: 1 x Hyper X SSD SATA3 256 GB (running Windows on it), 1 x Hyper X M.2 SSD 1TB (for games) and 1 x HDD 7200RPM
Edit 2: after the games are crashing, in the Event Viewer a general Kernel Error appears

Typed in google a Kernel Error appears and this what it says

The error is usually triggered by two situations that occur in the kernel mode: either the CPU generated a condition that the kernel is not allowed to catch or the condition is an unrecoverable error. The most common cause is hardware failure, mostly due to faulty or mismatched memory.

1. Click Start.
  2. Type in Memory Diagnostics Tool in the search box.
  3. Right-click on Memory Diagnostics Tool.
  4. Choose Run as Administrator.
  5. Follow the instructions to begin the diagnostic process
Also if your psu is getting old now just save up some money to buy an new one because then you can stop worrying about it failing because its to old and such

UniformGreen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Typed in google a Kernel Error appears and this what it says

The error is usually triggered by two situations that occur in the kernel mode: either the CPU generated a condition that the kernel is not allowed to catch or the condition is an unrecoverable error. The most common cause is hardware failure, mostly due to faulty or mismatched memory.

1. Click Start.
  2. Type in Memory Diagnostics Tool in the search box.
  3. Right-click on Memory Diagnostics Tool.
  4. Choose Run as Administrator.
  5. Follow the instructions to begin the diagnostic process
Also if your psu is getting old now just save up some money to buy an new one because then you can stop worrying about it failing because its to old and such
Sorry, I forgot to say that I also checked my ram using Memory Diagnostics Tool and no errors appeared.

Also, my sister has my old GTX 970 in her system and I swapped it with my 1080 Ti and we played about one hour on each system and my 1080 ti did not crash on her system, nor did her 970 crash on my system, making it even weired.

UniformGreen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
I upgraded the PSU and Ram and still getting this issue. In Windows 11 the whole system was freezing so I installed Windows 10 again with no luck, sometimes I am getting the error "dxgi_error_device_hung", sometimes it crashes without any errors.

I left Furmark running in the background for ~1 hour but nothing crashed so I am not sure if it's the GPU. Neither did the CPU crash during Prime95 stress testing.

Reactions: Imperial_Hal
Oct 20, 2022
Been having the same issue as u

My PC Specs:-
i5 7400
Asus H110M-A/M.2
8GB Kingston 2400MHz (4x2)
MSI Gaming GTX 970
Corsair VS550 80+ White (Version 2)

GPU Temps generally circle around 60-65C on max load. I play AC Valhalla and FC6 but they don’t crash alot (1-2 times every 2 hours)
Reinstalling Windows 10 fixed the error of BSOD which came before. But today while playing Plague Tale Innocence, a BSOD (PAGE FILE IN NON PAGED AREA) came for the 1st time. This is the only unstable game for now which crashes 2-3 times every 45min-1hr. All the games run really smooth with over 50fps on Medium to High settings.

Oct 20, 2022
Been having the same issue as u

My PC Specs:-
i5 7400
Asus H110M-A/M.2
8GB Kingston 2400MHz (4x2)
MSI Gaming GTX 970
Corsair VS550 80+ White (Version 2)

GPU Temps generally circle around 60-65C on max load. I play AC Valhalla and FC6 but they don’t crash alot (1-2 times every 2 hours)
Reinstalling Windows 10 fixed the error of BSOD which came before. But today while playing Plague Tale Innocence, a BSOD (PAGE FILE IN NON PAGED AREA) came for the 1st time. This is the only unstable game for now which crashes 2-3 times every 45min-1hr. All the games run really smooth with over 50fps on Medium to High settings.

Note that NO crashes happen while running Benchmark tests like Uniengine Heaven and Valley. Also ran Cinebench to test the CPU but no probs. Memory test also didn’t show any errors.

Increasing the amount of Virtual Memory seemed to fix the problem for some games like FC6 which crashed multiple times before. But still idk why Plague Tale Innocence crash like that.

Oct 20, 2022
Hello, I hope I posted this thread in the right section.
My problem is the following: every time I try to play a game, after playing games for a while, the game crashes to desktop without any error. It just freezes for a second and then it goes to desktop (it's random, sometimes this happens after 10 minutes, sometimes after 5-6 hours, sometimes it doesn't happen at all).

I checked for everything I knew, I benchmarked my CPU, GPU, Ram, SSDs + HDD but no errors popped up. I reinstalled the GPU drivers both manually and using DDU (with and without safe mode), I even upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 but with no luck. After that, I reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 11 but with no luck in sight.

It doesn't help either that no error is showing after the games crash. Once or twice it gave me a generic DX error driver that crashed, but I don't think this is the root cause because it doesn't give me this error every time. Also, twice the whole system froze while playing the new Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered and I had to shut down my PC using the power button.

Also my temps are really fine, I have a Corsair H100i for my CPU and it never goes above 65-70 degrees Celsius, nor does my GPU ever gets above 60 degrees Celsius under full load. Also, the CPU, Motherboard and cooler are fairly new, I bought them in november 2020.

What do you think this could be the cause? I was thinking that my PSU is failing since it's really old (I don't even remember when I bought it, but it's at least 6-8 years old) but I want to be sure before replacing it because I don't want to waste any money, even more so in the current economic crisis we're in.

My PC configuration:
CPU: i5 10600KF 4.1GHz (did not overclock it in fear of not blowing my PSU)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Ram: 2 x Hyper X Fury Black 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
PSU: Sirtec High Power 80+ bronze 600W
Edit: Storage: 1 x Hyper X SSD SATA3 256 GB (running Windows on it), 1 x Hyper X M.2 SSD 1TB (for games) and 1 x HDD 7200RPM
Edit 2: after the games are crashing, in the Event Viewer a general Kernel Error appears
I solved this same issue I had.
The culprit should definitely be the Ram. Try running Memtest86 and clean ur Ram and its slot. If this doesn’t work you should probably replace the Ram