Question All Games Running Slow Suddenly

Apr 3, 2019
Specs: i7-4820k, Gtx 970, 16gb ram

I bought some new ram about 9 days ago, corsair vengeance 16gb. Install was fine and all of my games were running butter smooth on ultra settings with 60-70+ FPS for 2 days.
I'm not exactly sure when it happened, if it was after I installed the newest Nvidia drivers or if I installed them because of this issue, but after those 2 days EVERY game I play runs at maybe 20FPS on the lowest settings.

The PC itself is fine, every other task runs like normal. It's just my games.

I've tried everything I could find online.

My Temps are fine, CPU and GPU aren't bottle necking,
idle disk usage is at 0%, stopped all excess background tasks,
CPU is running at 3.4-3.7Ghz.
Uninstalled/Reinstalled my games,
rolled back drivers with clean installs and I finally ended up resetting Windows 10 (kept files). Nothing is working.

I simply can't figure out what is going on and I can't find any more solutions.
I don't have any screen tearing or crashes, so it doesn't seem like my card is dying or the RAM is bad, games just run like I have old outdated hardware.

I'm on the verge of doing a factory reset, but I've got a feeling that's not going to do much for me.

Any help or new ideas would be greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 14196

Go download the older Nvidia driver and install it. Use DDU to remove the new one this is nothing new this is common. new drivers sometimes break things. You should always save your Nvidia drivers that way if the new one breaks you can always roll back to the old one without having to re-download it

Apr 3, 2019
Drivers don't seem to be having any affect whatsoever, no matter how I install them or which one I choose. What else might suddenly make games run slow besides the above mentioned list of fixes?

D

Deleted member 14196

do you happen to have any Restore Points saved from a date that was working?

• Otherwise, while gaming, can you run Windows Resource Monitor and look at the sorted overview to see what's gobbling up resources?
  • From that monitor you can look in detail at Network, Disk, Memory and CPU to see what, of each is being consumed and by what.
  • Also, a utility known as HWINFO can tell you what temps you are running at, in case you are getting too hot.
  • Latency Monitor can also be downloaded and used freely, and it can help you identify drivers causing latency issues.

Apr 3, 2019
Unfortunately I did not have any restore points. That was one of the first things I tried.

The problem is that all of my resources are fine. All of my temps are fine. I ran the latency monitor and apparently my drivers are also working at normal conditions.