[SOLVED] All games stuck at 58 fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2019
Whether on low or ultra all games run around 58 fps with a slight micro stutter. Even when i try to cap the frames higher there's still two less frames. I tried capping it at 62 but it stutters really bad. I have this problem for all games no matter what quality. As far as i know there's no program causing this. Reinstalling drivers didn't work either. I'm not sure if it's my gpu, or cpu causing the issue. My cpu temps hovered around 60c, while my gpu hovered around 48c last game I played. I also have a weird issue where i need to underclock my gpu for ACE Combat 7, and all the Metro games or they'll crash.

Specs:

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
CPU Cooler: Deep Cool GAMMAXX 40wh 120mm
Motherboard: MSI H110m Gamming
RAM: (x2) Patriot Viper 8gb 2400 (16gb)
PSU: EVGA G3 850 80 plus gold
Hard Drive: Seagate FireCuda 2tb SSHD 7200
Monitor: Samsung C24F390 24.0 1920X1080 60Hz
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case

Solution
Disabling full screen optimization seems to have worked for some games. I few still have that 58 fps problem. I have GameDVR disabled but i doesn't seem to make a difference. My graphics card drivers are up to date.
Then go to NVIDIA Control Panel > "Manage 3D Settings" and in there instead of "Global Settings" go to "Program Settings" select the Program(Game) which is still having problem and turn off V-Sync.
Whether on low or ultra all games run around 58 fps with a slight micro stutter. Even when i try to cap the frames higher there's still two less frames. I tried capping it at 62 but it stutters really bad. I have this problem for all games no matter what quality. As far as i know there's no program causing this. Reinstalling drivers didn't work either. I'm not sure if it's my gpu, or cpu causing the issue. My cpu temps hovered around 60c, while my gpu hovered around 48c last game I played. I also have a weird issue where i need to underclock my gpu for ACE Combat 7, and all the Metro games or they'll crash.

Specs:

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
CPU Cooler: Deep Cool GAMMAXX 40wh 120mm
Motherboard: MSI H110m Gamming
RAM: (x2) Patriot Viper 8gb 2400 (16gb)
PSU: EVGA G3 850 80 plus gold
Hard Drive: Seagate FireCuda 2tb SSHD 7200
Monitor: Samsung C24F390 24.0 1920X1080 60Hz
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
Do you have vsync on? If not I would reccomend you do as your monitor won’t support any other frame sync tech most likely. Isn’t 1080p 60Hz a waste on a 1080Ti?

Sep 30, 2019
It seems to stay at 58 with vsync on and off. If I just cap the frames with Rivatuner with vsync off it has the same issue. I tried playing around with the vsync nvidia settings as well. I'm currently saving for a 1440p monitor. I heard somewhere that the 1080ti and i7 bottleneck with 1080p, but I hadn't had this problem until now.

g-unit1111

Titan
It seems to stay at 58 with vsync on and off. If I just cap the frames with Rivatuner with vsync off it has the same issue. I tried playing around with the vsync nvidia settings as well. I'm currently saving for a 1440p monitor. I heard somewhere that the 1080ti and i7 bottleneck with 1080p, but I hadn't had this problem until now.

Really? I think whoever said that probably doesn't know what they are talking about. Either that, or they are just a bit too picky.

As far as the stuttering problem goes have you updated all your drivers?

Reactions: King_V
Have u tried completely disabling RivaTuner? meaning closing out all of its processes and seeing if the issue persists?

Also do u have any other 3rd party software that could be running that has a frame limiter?

Even if ur monitor is 60hz and you had vsync on, your frames wouldnt be 58, they would be 59.9 (which shows up at 60)

So I highly doubt its a vsync issue BUT you can always check your Nvidia Control panel and making sure vsync is off within the control panel.

Sep 30, 2019
Is GameDVR disabled if not turn it off. If still the problem continues. Right click on the Game and select "Properties" in that select "compatibility" under that select "Disable full screen optimization". The problem is caused by Windows 10 updates.

Disabling full screen optimization seems to have worked for some games. I few still have that 58 fps problem. I have GameDVR disabled but i doesn't seem to make a difference. My graphics card drivers are up to date.

Then go to NVIDIA Control Panel > "Manage 3D Settings" and in there instead of "Global Settings" go to "Program Settings" select the Program(Game) which is still having problem and turn off V-Sync.

Solution
Sep 30, 2019
Turning v sync off helps but, also gives me bad screen tearing on some games.

Sep 30, 2019
Have u tried completely disabling RivaTuner? meaning closing out all of its processes and seeing if the issue persists?

Also do u have any other 3rd party software that could be running that has a frame limiter?

Even if ur monitor is 60hz and you had vsync on, your frames wouldnt be 58, they would be 59.9 (which shows up at 60)

So I highly doubt its a vsync issue BUT you can always check your Nvidia Control panel and making sure vsync is off within the control panel.
I uninstalled rivatuner, but it had no effect

Sep 30, 2019
With V-Sync on it will not go above 60fps. If you want no screen tearing + high fps get G-Sync monitor or the Free-Sync monitor which supports G-Sync for a decent price
I typically play Metro Exodus with vsync off in-game and in the Nvidia control panel with my frames uncapped; I had zero screen tearing. I've also had vsync off in other games without screen tearing as well; aside from older games that already had screen tearing issues in the first place like, Doom 3. This is a relatively new problem which is why I'm reluctant to blame vsync. Also, I have a free sync setting on my monitor called Ultimate Engine, but I'm not sure how effective it is since my monitor is pretty cheap. I assume it's helped up until now since this is a new problem.

When I play Doom 2016 it seems like my CPU might be having a hard time keeping up with my GPU.
My 58 fps problem now persists even with vsync and full screen optimizations turned off for some reason. No clue why. I might try reinstalling my nvidia drivers again for the fifth time to see if that helps.

I'm sorry for the delay, I've had almost zero free time to sort this out recently.
I appreciate everyone trying to help me.

Sep 30, 2019
I did some more testing. For some reason when vsync is on my machine struggles to keep it at 60 fps, but when vsync is off the performance overall is more stable. I capped my frames at 60 with riva tuner with vsync in-game, and in nvidia control panel turned off. My frames were at a rock solid 60fps. If I turn vsync on in any form it goes back and forth between 60-59-58 fps constantly. Overall with vsync it's pretty unstable. So I guess it was some sort of vsync issue.

Even when my frames are capped at 60 or 59 fps I have really bad screen tearing with zero fps loss. With vsync on it's not so bad but screen tearing is still present.

Could my refresh rate be messed up?
Could that be why my frames jump around with vsync on?

Last edited:
try capping the game at 70fps, the screen tearing should be less. I have found in personal experience that the higher the fps over your monitors refresh rate, the less noticeable the screen tearing is.

I have a 75hz monitor, if I cap my frames at 75, I have the WORST screen tearing.

If I cap my frames at say, 100 fps, the screen tearing is almost non existant.

Try something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.