Question All Games Stuttering Randomly

Sep 19, 2021
Hello Everyone
I'm new here, thiss is my first post as I am at a loss with my PC ( apologies if this is posted in the wrong place) , over the past week I have had a little nightmare with my pc. First might I add that I am by no means technically illiterate but I don't claim to be an expert either
My PC specs are as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RTX 2070 Super (Gigabyte 8GB RAM)
MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO MAX
RAM: 2xCorsair 8GB
2xSSD- One NVME 250 with windows and one or two small games and a 500GB samsung SSD (the basic one)
PSU: Corsair RM850 (Althouh this wass replaced as I originally had a King 600W Bronze as I thought this may be the problem)

So to start I will point out that all the games I play have worked perfectly fine since I built the PC in June of 2020, I've always played all my gamesss on Max Graphics with no issues whatsoever, no perfformance drops, no FPSSS drops nothing, I have pretty good internet at 250Mb/s .
A few weeks ago I thought it would be a good idea to try and mine so ETH with my GPU, this went pretty well I over clocked the memory by +1000 as thius ran smoothly without any crassshe and underclocked the chip by -502, got a decent 43-44MHs which is to be expected from my GPU, although I dont think this is the issue I'd like to be ass detailed as possible ( I work in IT support so I know how irritating vague reports are) I turned the miner off (Minerstat) too play games with my friends without any problems, Modern Warfare and the new Vampire Masquerade Bloodhunt, Some tarkov, Rust, Ark, Fallout 76, The witcher 3, cyberpunk 2077, and a variaty of other games, All of which ran perfectly fine at ultra graphics for over a year. One night my miner shut down at around 0000 hours and although the PC was on when I woke up the Miner didnt boot back up,. ( I ran the miner with the glass panel off to reduce heat)

I did a BIOS update, along with some driver updates for audio and Chipset, ( id never updated the bios since I built the PC) and a windows update, (I have always kept windows up to date) But after the BIOS update my games started to stutter horrendously for what seemed like no apparent reason ( i have never changed any BIOS settings other than boot order when I first built the pc).

I believe the GPU started to make a sstrange grinding sound although I can't be 100% sure that it is the GPU, this concerened me as I know it is likely coil whine, I have never heard this sound before and it seemed to start just as my games started to stutter, I have used HWDMonitor and GPU-Z to check the utilization and temps ect of my GPU/CPU and nothing seems too out of the ordinary although PerCap Reason did ping Pwr when ssat in the Warzone Lobby menu So i replaced my 600W cpu with a RM850 Gold from corsair which hass had 0 effect on the stuttering, I have the GPU being collected for RMA tomorrow although I would rather avoid this as I use my PC for work which occassionally entails video editing.

The fixes I have tried include:
Various Graphical settings changes (note when running games on the lowest graphic settings it still stutters to the same extent as high/ultra settings)
I flashed the older BIOS version released just before I purchased my MOBO to see if this helped
I also pulled the CMOS out for 10 minutes to reset the settings
Repasted my CPU
Cleared the unused RAM
Ran GPU fans at 100% to see if the fans caused the grinding sound which they did not
Replaced my PSU with a better one
Cleaned GPU of dust, Cleaned CPU heatssink of dust

ModernWarfare does have my CPU running at 92-95% but it has always done this and I have never had a problem, literally all my games now haev this issue and I really dont know what to try next other than RMA the GPU and hope that helps
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards

Wickle

Hello Everyone
I'm new here, thiss is my first post as I am at a loss with my PC ( apologies if this is posted in the wrong place) , over the past week I have had a little nightmare with my pc. First might I add that I am by no means technically illiterate but I don't claim to be an expert either
My PC specs are as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RTX 2070 Super (Gigabyte 8GB RAM)
MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO MAX
RAM: 2xCorsair 8GB
2xSSD- One NVME 250 with windows and one or two small games and a 500GB samsung SSD (the basic one)
PSU: Corsair RM850 (Althouh this wass replaced as I originally had a King 600W Bronze as I thought this may be the problem)

So to start I will point out that all the games I play have worked perfectly fine since I built the PC in June of 2020, I've always played all my gamesss on Max Graphics with no issues whatsoever, no perfformance drops, no FPSSS drops nothing, I have pretty good internet at 250Mb/s .
A few weeks ago I thought it would be a good idea to try and mine so ETH with my GPU, this went pretty well I over clocked the memory by +1000 as thius ran smoothly without any crassshe and underclocked the chip by -502, got a decent 43-44MHs which is to be expected from my GPU, although I dont think this is the issue I'd like to be ass detailed as possible ( I work in IT support so I know how irritating vague reports are) I turned the miner off (Minerstat) too play games with my friends without any problems, Modern Warfare and the new Vampire Masquerade Bloodhunt, Some tarkov, Rust, Ark, Fallout 76, The witcher 3, cyberpunk 2077, and a variaty of other games, All of which ran perfectly fine at ultra graphics for over a year. One night my miner shut down at around 0000 hours and although the PC was on when I woke up the Miner didnt boot back up,. ( I ran the miner with the glass panel off to reduce heat)

I did a BIOS update, along with some driver updates for audio and Chipset, ( id never updated the bios since I built the PC) and a windows update, (I have always kept windows up to date) But after the BIOS update my games started to stutter horrendously for what seemed like no apparent reason ( i have never changed any BIOS settings other than boot order when I first built the pc).

I believe the GPU started to make a sstrange grinding sound although I can't be 100% sure that it is the GPU, this concerened me as I know it is likely coil whine, I have never heard this sound before and it seemed to start just as my games started to stutter, I have used HWDMonitor and GPU-Z to check the utilization and temps ect of my GPU/CPU and nothing seems too out of the ordinary although PerCap Reason did ping Pwr when ssat in the Warzone Lobby menu So i replaced my 600W cpu with a RM850 Gold from corsair which hass had 0 effect on the stuttering, I have the GPU being collected for RMA tomorrow although I would rather avoid this as I use my PC for work which occassionally entails video editing.

The fixes I have tried include:
Various Graphical settings changes (note when running games on the lowest graphic settings it still stutters to the same extent as high/ultra settings)
I flashed the older BIOS version released just before I purchased my MOBO to see if this helped
I also pulled the CMOS out for 10 minutes to reset the settings
Repasted my CPU
Cleared the unused RAM
Ran GPU fans at 100% to see if the fans caused the grinding sound which they did not
Replaced my PSU with a better one
Cleaned GPU of dust, Cleaned CPU heatssink of dust

ModernWarfare does have my CPU running at 92-95% but it has always done this and I have never had a problem, literally all my games now haev this issue and I really dont know what to try next other than RMA the GPU and hope that helps
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards

Wickle
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU again (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Then uninstall amd chipset software/driver in control panel.

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios again. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run CMD As Admin
    type defrag (drive letter of the samsung ssd) /d /u /v , after it finished, do defrag (drive letter samsung ssd) /l /o /u /v
    then after it finishes, exit cmd.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them. Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021
Good Evening all,

I got my card back a few days ago after 6 weeks RMA Scan proclaimed that Gigabyte have repaired the fault, I also sent the CPU and MOBO back for a second opinion during this six week wait(this was due to the CPU light coming on). Scan said my CPU was the issue and my MOBO was fine and replaced my CPU with a new Ryzen 5 3600, that literally took 1 week (praise AMD)

After reassembly, I proceeded to do some testing, I found the coil whine had subsided, and the new Call of duty Vanguard and Rust ran perfectly fine, very minimal stutters on the highest possible graphics settings. But Minecraft, Escape From Tarkov and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Anomaly Mod, (all of the above ran perfectly fine before this issue occurred) all run like complete Sh#@ no matter what settings I changed, render distances dropped ect, I cant seem to notice anything alarming on Afterburner or GPUz, temps are reasonable, I have done a clean install of windows and STALKER still runs like crap, I have put over 200 hours into Anomaly Mod on this pc and its always ran insanely smooth even with copious amounts of mods running, one of my favourite games, but now it is constantly freezing/stuttering every second or two.

I havent tested any other games yet, plan on doing that after work tomorrow, but I would like some advice on more extensive tests to run to try and find the cause of the problem. I would like to avoid sending my GPU back for a second time after the 6 week repair period which was quite unpleasant.

Thanks for all the replies dudes

Good Evening all,

I got my card back a few days ago after 6 weeks RMA Scan proclaimed that Gigabyte have repaired the fault, I also sent the CPU and MOBO back for a second opinion during this six week wait(this was due to the CPU light coming on). Scan said my CPU was the issue and my MOBO was fine and replaced my CPU with a new Ryzen 5 3600, that literally took 1 week (praise AMD)

After reassembly, I proceeded to do some testing, I found the coil whine had subsided, and the new Call of duty Vanguard and Rust ran perfectly fine, very minimal stutters on the highest possible graphics settings. But Minecraft, Escape From Tarkov and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Anomaly Mod, (all of the above ran perfectly fine before this issue occurred) all run like complete Sh#@ no matter what settings I changed, render distances dropped ect, I cant seem to notice anything alarming on Afterburner or GPUz, temps are reasonable, I have done a clean install of windows and STALKER still runs like crap, I have put over 200 hours into Anomaly Mod on this pc and its always ran insanely smooth even with copious amounts of mods running, one of my favourite games, but now it is constantly freezing/stuttering every second or two.

I havent tested any other games yet, plan on doing that after work tomorrow, but I would like some advice on more extensive tests to run to try and find the cause of the problem. I would like to avoid sending my GPU back for a second time after the 6 week repair period which was quite unpleasant.

Thanks for all the replies dudes
maybe you want to retry those steps above except the bios step and the CMD step (i edited a little you might want to see it).