Complexic_1

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Short version - All network adapters no longer function. All drivers for network adapters (code 52 error). Cannot uninstall or reinstall drivers, as they all endup with code 52. No access to internet.

List of Tried Methods:
  1. Method - Delete USB UpperFilter and LowerFilter Registry Entries.
  2. Method - Run System Restore. -> unable to because no restore point early enough
  3. Method - Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.
  4. Method - Uninstall Problematic devices.
  5. Method - Disable Integrity Checks.
Long version - I have two specific network/wifi adapters in my pc, one built in and one external. Both have the same error. About 2ish months ago I started having an issue, my netr28ux.sys file was getting corrupted or something. My computer restarted itself over and over with out stopping and blue screening. I managed to replace the file and stop the blue screen, however it happened two more times over the course of about a week and a half. I had about a month and a half of no issues. This morning I turned on my pc like usual and both adapters had the code 52 error and I was unable to connect to the internet. I have tried nearly all methods to fix this issue however most methods didn't go through that easily. The first method, when i went into the registry there was no UpperFilter or LowerFilter, so i searched for them and only found one upperfilter, process did nothing. I tried system restore but i didn't have a restore point far enough back as it had already been rewritten because of my earlier attempts to fix the drivers. Method 3 took a while to figure out how to get to the advanced boot settting but ultimetly that also proved fruitless. Skipping to the integrity checks, everything went smoothly but still nothing changed. Method 4 has been the most confusing. I have uninstalled both multiple times, however everytime the system re-recognizes the devices it redownloads? or looks up? the corrupted or not corrupted drivers because they jsut show right back up with the error as if I had never uninstalled them. One specific problem I also had was trying to boot the devices with different drivers. I guess i have no idea how to do this because I tried to update and get the drivers from a usb I had downloaded the new drivers on but I couldn't? or there just wasn't even an option to do that. IDK. I really could use some help ASAP, as this is my main computer. Any help is much appreciated.

*Windows 8.1
Intel core i7-4770
16 GB RAM
x64
Networking Devices: Netgear WNDA4100 N900 (external) , 802.11 bgn 1T1R (internal)

Last edited:
Solution
Fixed.

TBH i have no idea what happened. Going back to Method 3 that I tried already.
The first time I did it, I went through the whole process and pressed F7 and nothing seemed to happen, i chalked this up as just another failed fix but something about it seemed off to me, i thought it was supoosed to FULLY take away all driver signature things, so why was i still getting that error. Well needless to say I tried again this morning except i pressed 7 instead and after a restart BOOM out of nowhere an installation/update popped up for the netgear adapter and after finishing the installation, everything worked. I have no idea how it didn't work last time or how disabling the signature...

Ralston18

Titan
First - update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Second - what is the reason/requirement for having two network/wifi adapters installed?

Third - Error Code 52 relates to drivers.

Code 52 “Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. (Code 52)”
Full Error Message
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)
Cause
The driver may be unsigned or corrupted.
Recommended Resolution
Download the latest driver from the hardware manufacturer's website, or contact the manufacturer for help.

Another link:

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-usb-error-digital-signature-code-52-error/#:~:text=Error Code 52 in either the device manager,a lot of users, especially with Windows 7.

Run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Complexic_1

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
First - update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Second - what is the reason/requirement for having two network/wifi adapters installed?

Third - Error Code 52 relates to drivers.

Code 52 “Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. (Code 52)”
Full Error Message
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)
Cause
The driver may be unsigned or corrupted.
Recommended Resolution
Download the latest driver from the hardware manufacturer's website, or contact the manufacturer for help.

Another link:

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-usb-error-digital-signature-code-52-error/#:~:text=Error Code 52 in either the device manager,a lot of users, especially with Windows 7.

Run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.

I added to the system specs I'm not what else u might want. The reason for two devices is mostly incase one goes out.
Context - when I first made/bought the computer, I thought getting an internal one was fine but when I booted it up the internal one wasn't very good so I opted to get a "stronger" one.
As for the the fact that the code refers to drivers, see above. I have tried both links and they don't say anything I haven't already tried. Also the methods I posted come straight from that second link so...yeah. I have already tried downloading the latest drivers, see above.

Complexic_1

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXX-pc
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 94-DB-C9-96-78-0D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-D4-35-12-7C-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ralston18

Titan
Two network adapters are not at all unusual - most computers now have a wired adapter and a wireless adapter.

However, for most users, only one network adapter, either wired or wireless, is enabled. One or the other not both at the same time.

( Note: Having two enabled network adapters is used for bridging which is not applicable to most home networks.)

So if one adapter fails you have the option to just switch to the other network adapter . I.e. from wired to wireless or vice versa. May not always be an ideal switch but in a pinch you can at least have network connectivity one way or another. Albeit temporary until the failed network adapter is replaced.

Run and post "ipconfig /all".

Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled.

Complexic_1

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Not sure what you mean by enabled. I don't ever connect to the same network via both adapters, it also doesn't even work, as soon as you try to connect with one or the other while the other is connected it breaks that connection and establishes a new one. Right now, because of the error code neither is working, therefore they do not show up on the connections meaning no internet accessibility. Meaning I can't enable either.

Complexic_1

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Doing some more digging, I think I "might" have found the problem. The netr28ux.sys file that was giving me the blue screen might be creating the problem I have now. I checked the drivers for my netgear after disabling the ralink and the netr28ux.sys file is being used for the netgear (even though a google search tells me that this is a ralink driver file shrug) and it doesn't have the little certificate icon next to it. This could be why its not reading as "digitally signed". Problem is after searching a bunch online I cant figure out how to fix this. I cant just download a new one as thats what I did already and potentially got me in this scenerio. Should I delete it and run the installer for the netgear driver or should I keep searching for a netr28ux.sys file until I find one that IS digitally signed?

Complexic_1

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
I went ahead and tried deleting the file. It did nothing. Problem is the internal network adapter doesn't seem to go away. If I uninstall it Windows reinstalls it immediately. If I disable it the drivers still exist, aka the problematic driver. Nothing I do seems to be able to get rid of this file or replace it. Going to keep trying stuff hopefully something works.

Complexic_1

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Fixed.

TBH i have no idea what happened. Going back to Method 3 that I tried already.
The first time I did it, I went through the whole process and pressed F7 and nothing seemed to happen, i chalked this up as just another failed fix but something about it seemed off to me, i thought it was supoosed to FULLY take away all driver signature things, so why was i still getting that error. Well needless to say I tried again this morning except i pressed 7 instead and after a restart BOOM out of nowhere an installation/update popped up for the netgear adapter and after finishing the installation, everything worked. I have no idea how it didn't work last time or how disabling the signature somehow gave access to the update but i'll take it.

Solution