All PC Lights and Fans Are Working, But Monitor Receives No Signal and Keyboard/Mouse Lights Show No Signs Of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephecs

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
As the title says. I am currently in the process of building a new PC, and I got everything hooked up the way it was supposed to be. All fans are running (CPU, graphics card, main fan), lights were on, things looked to be working beautifully. I know that this is not necessarily signs of a successful boot, but I thought it should be mentioned.

However, when I hooked up my monitor, it did not receive a signal. I thought at first that maybe I had plugged something into the wrong somewhere, but I read later that the motherboard might be at fault if a monitor is simply not receiving a signal. I decided to test this by plugging in my keyboard and mouse; the lights on either of these failed to work as well.

So the main question: is my motherboard at fault for this?

My PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35
PSU: Corsair CX 430W
Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 1TB
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X
Processor (CPU): AMD Athlon X4 260k
RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport

Ephecs

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

UPDATE:

Got a new motherboard and installed, still no go. No signal to monitor, no keyboard light, no beep. Removed the RAM and the graphics card separately, no dice. Any further help? Is this a CPU problem?

Ephecs

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Okay, I've been led to believe that this is a CPU problem. You're going to shudder when you hear this, but I removed my CPU's heat sink and powered on the PC. I know that's a horrid idea, but I thought it was the best way to test if the CPU was being powered. To my knowledge, it isn't.

The CPU shows no sign of heat whatsoever. Should I just order another processor and hope that that was the problem?

Ephecs

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Replaced the power supply with an identical copy. No dice.

I wanted to add that I appreciate your feedback so far and apologize if this seems like a stubborn situation... because it is. :(

Ephecs

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Yes, correct. At first I removed both the RAM and the graphics card at the same time and got continuous beeps, one after another, maybe 1-1.5 seconds long each. I then reseated the graphics card and the same thing happened. This suggests a RAM problem, no?

Nov 24, 2020
As the title says. I am currently in the process of building a new PC, and I got everything hooked up the way it was supposed to be. All fans are running (CPU, graphics card, main fan), lights were on, things looked to be working beautifully. I know that this is not necessarily signs of a successful boot, but I thought it should be mentioned.

However, when I hooked up my monitor, it did not receive a signal. I thought at first that maybe I had plugged something into the wrong somewhere, but I read later that the motherboard might be at fault if a monitor is simply not receiving a signal. I decided to test this by plugging in my keyboard and mouse; the lights on either of these failed to work as well.

So the main question: is my motherboard at fault for this?

My PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35
PSU: Corsair CX 430W
Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 1TB
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X
Processor (CPU): AMD Athlon X4 260k
RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
I have the same exact problem did you ever fix it

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
For the last two responders: this is where you start a new thread describing your problem with your complete, exact specs. This is not the point where you necro a thread from 2015 from someone with vaguely similar problems and completely different hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.