All The Intel Skylake CPUs, From Desktop To Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
what justifies the big jump in price between the Core i7-6920HQ which is 568 dollars over the Core i7-6820HQ which is 378 dollars just because the Core i7-6920HQ is 200mhz faster. talk about a ripoff....

n0n1cK

Reputable
May 26, 2015
"They’re also non-K SKUs, meaning they’re locked, so overclockers should stick with the Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K."

Why should we stick to the K series, doesn't the Z170 allow for BCLK adjustments between 100-200 with 1 mhz increments?
Will Intel block this option on non-K CPUs?

I was looking forward to OCing non-K CPUs, a lowend OC'd i3 or i5 should be awesome on budget builds.

wkwilley2

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
"They’re also non-K SKUs, meaning they’re locked, so overclockers should stick with the Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K."

Why should we stick to the K series, doesn't the Z170 allow for BCLK adjustments between 100-200 with 1 mhz increments?

I was looking forward to OCing non-K CPUs, a lowend OC'd i3 or i5 should be awesome on budget builds.

You can adjust the base clock on non-K units, but you won't be able to adjust the multiplier or the voltages if you really wanted to push the chip and achieve a stable overclock. Adjusting the multiplier instead of the base clock allows you to overclock further since you're not stressing the RAM and northbridge, this gives less points of failure for OC'ing.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
The 6820HK sounds like fun with a laptop with good cooling. Hopefully it won't cost much more than the 6820HQ. I hope Intel will release a couple slightly faster high end ones at maybe 3.2GHZ base and a bit over 4GHZ single turbo. If not with this generation, I'd hope a 11nm mobile chips could do that with 4 cores due to the lower power consumption, not to mention a 6 core chip.

It's the usual overpriced top of the line chip. Just like Nvidia's overpriced Titan X.

You can't overclock much with the BCLK because PCIe runs off the same clock signal and has little headroom. This has been the case ever since Sandy Bridge.

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
I would like to see Tom's do a roundup of DX12 performance to show how the new CPUs handle them. Comparisons between Devil's Canyon CPUs and Skylake CPUs, between hyperthreaded and not. Getting additional benchmarks regarding VR and other specialized performance setups would also be nice, but I realize that there is limited resources to put towards things like this.

chaospower

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
So am i the only one who noticed this or cares?
The pentium g4500 is gonna have an hd530 and will finally bring a good level of built in graphics to the much lower than 100 bucks price level. Meaning we will finally have a competitor to end AMD's pretty much only remaining advantage- good built in graphics in their cheaper APUs, good enough for light gaming anyway. That is something that intel has yet to provide us with... until now. Looking forward to seeing the new pentiums face off against the a8 7600.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
None of the H/HQ mobile chips have Iris Pro 550 / GT4e graphics. I'm not interested in a Skylake mobile chip with less than 72 execution units, and I don't want the lower power/core count of the Ultrabook chips.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
So am i the only one who noticed this or cares?
The pentium g4500 is gonna have an hd530 and will finally bring a good level of built in graphics to the much lower than 100 bucks price level. Meaning we will finally have a competitor to end AMD's pretty much only remaining advantage- good built in graphics in their cheaper APUs, good enough for light gaming anyway. That is something that intel has yet to provide us with... until now. Looking forward to seeing the new pentiums face off against the a8 7600.

Nope, I saw those too. The G4500 or 4520 also looks like very much a sweet spot for any non-gamer, or perhaps even light gamer, at the desktop level, and the G4500T might be my chip of choice for something in the NUC form factor, altho 35W might be too high for the package size. I also note it's in LGA, not BGA...so probably not. Pity. The U chips didn't look nearly as appealing.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
After checking on Anandtech, I figured out that the Iris 550 is not GT4. It's GT3. Iris Pro 580 = GT4 with 72 execution units.

That's right, no GT4e chips were announced today.

What I want is a hot (power consumption too high for Ultrabook) and cheap laptop chip (H-series) with GT4.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Mostly what was expected here, but here is what stands out to me.

A mobile chip that can be OC'ed brings laptop a step closer to desktop.

a 4/4 i5 for mobile is a great improvement, which again brings laptops that much closer to desktop, and would probably be my personal sweet spot for laptops.

m3, m5, m7 is smart, and these should see major improvements for the core-m series.

i3's are the only desktop parts increasing in ghz! the i3s will probably see the most improvement from skylake, as they are A), closer to the ideal power level B), increasing in clock speed, and C) are on the weaker end of things, which i think will result in more tangible gains (the i7s for example are already over powered in many cases, so more power see's no improvement, whereas this is not the case for the i3's).

I would love to see i4 and i6 models added to intel's lineup. an i4 could be an i3 with 6mb of cache, and suport for a higher clocked turbo mode. An i6 could be an i5 with 8mb of cache, and the clock speed of an i7, which is basically an i7 without hyperthreading. An i8 could also be cool, but i think that is called the X99 platform.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
I can't see the i4 and i6 notions. To me they become too much clutter; there's not enough differentiation between units.

The point about clock speeds is noteworthy. I wonder if they're not pushing clock speeds up, so the speed freaks among us will pay the premium for the OC capability.

HKILLER

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
That is disappointing..i was really looking forward to a Core i3/Pentium Unlocked CPU on Skylake's generation something to replace the G3258...also the 6600K can't do quad boost to 3.9Ghz? sounds like Skylake is not very overclock friendly overall...maybe with Skylake refresh there would be an unlocked i3 or Pentium...though Intel HD 530 on Pentium level was a good move...

As long as the 6820K isn't hamstrung by a power limit it shouldn't be necessary. Then the 6820K can be clocked as high as the cooling allows.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Yes it is interesting it may still be a 45w (rated) TDP though unlocked. Wouldn't mind seeing an unlocked 55w TDP chip that has higher stock clocks that the 4940MX, to see if 14nm helps there.

n0n1cK

Reputable
May 26, 2015

That voltage lock doesn't make much sense.. will wait and see.

Adjusting multipliers is just easier, with BCLK it doesn't limit your max CPU overclock you just have to do the math and pick the right multiplier for the RAM and most likely there is a lock for PCI and other frequencies that depend on BCLK like there used to be pre-Sandy.

If all the options that we used to have when OC'ing depended mostly on BCLK rather then on the multiplier then it should be fine, let's hope Intel doesn't mess it up and low end skylakes should blow AMD straight out of the enthusiast market

n0n1cK

Reputable
May 26, 2015

There have been architecture changes when it comes to BCLK, Intel claimed BCLK 100-200mhz adjustment in 1mhz increments, some Z170 motherboards have reached higher values.So there should be lock for those other frequencies that depend on BCLK.

Hope we are back to the days that overclocking doesn't require an overpriced CPU with unlocked multiplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.