Question All USB devices flicker/reset occassionaly in use

Dec 6, 2022
Having an issue with a new PC build. The PC spec or at the bottom of the post, but basically everything in the system works fine except two annoying issues that might be something more serious. The USB ports all simultaneously lose power for less than a second while in use. I currently have a Keyboard, mouse and DAC plugged into the system. The keyboard lights will turn off and stop functioning, and the RGB resets to default, the mouse will stop functioning and lights turn off and the sound will either stop completely for a second or crackle. Windows is typically unaware of the devices turning off, it never lasts long enough for anything to show up as disconnected or reconnected. Then everything functions as normal until it happens again. It seems to happen more frequently in heavy compute loads, but still happens while idle. The second issue that seemed unrelated at first, is there is a mechanical drive in the PC that "clicks" when I'm not directly accessing it. It sounds like a light tap on a metal cup or something similar. Trouble shooting advice before I start ripping things out and sending them back? Might be worth mentioning all USB devices function perfect on another system.

Specs:
Windows 11 (up to date)
Intel 12700k
ASUS TUF Gaming z690-Plus D4 Wifi (latest bios)
EVGA Gold 1000w power supply

jdeese

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Having an issue with a new PC build. The PC spec or at the bottom of the post, but basically everything in the system works fine except two annoying issues that might be something more serious. The USB ports all simultaneously lose power for less than a second while in use. I currently have a Keyboard, mouse and DAC plugged into the system. The keyboard lights will turn off and stop functioning, and the RGB resets to default, the mouse will stop functioning and lights turn off and the sound will either stop completely for a second or crackle. Windows is typically unaware of the devices turning off, it never lasts long enough for anything to show up as disconnected or reconnected. Then everything functions as normal until it happens again. It seems to happen more frequently in heavy compute loads, but still happens while idle. The second issue that seemed unrelated at first, is there is a mechanical drive in the PC that "clicks" when I'm not directly accessing it. It sounds like a light tap on a metal cup or something similar. Trouble shooting advice before I start ripping things out and sending them back? Might be worth mentioning all USB devices function perfect on another system.

Specs:
Windows 11 (up to date)
Intel 12700k
ASUS TUF Gaming z690-Plus D4 Wifi (latest bios)
EVGA Gold 1000w power supply
Did you ever happen to figure out what was going on? I'm having the same issue and all of my connections seem to be ok. There's also no "click" for me (that I notice).

Last edited: