News Alleged RTX 4080 Time Spy and Blender Benchmarks Emerge

So, taking AMD's numbers (with salt, soy sauce, whatever) and projecting on top of the 6950XT:

7900XTX:
Time Spy: 21864 x 1.5 = 32796
Time Spy Ex: 10688 x 1.5 = 16032
Blender median: 2134 x 1.5 = 3201

They claimed "up to" 1.7x and this test should provide the best scaling, so those are very conservative numbers. The 4080 16GB will be $1200 and the 7900XTX $1000. This tells me the new AMD card will slot right in-between the 4090 and 4080-16GB at a lower price than the latter... While I do acknowledge the 4080 will still have better RT and it does have DLSS for whoever actually uses it... Is the loss in raster worth an extra $200 (on paper)?

Unless someone is completely tied to nVidia's ecosystem, holy dang... I think the 4080-16GB may be DOA for most.

Regards.

Reactions: alceryes
So, taking AMD's numbers (with salt, soy sauce, whatever) and projecting on top of the 6950XT:

7900XTX:

They claimed "up to" 1.7x and this test should provide the best scaling, so those are very conservative numbers. The 4080 16GB will be $1200 and the 7900XTX $1000. This tells me the new AMD card will slot right in-between the 4090 and 4080-16GB at a lower price than the latter... While I do acknowledge the 4080 will still have better RT and it does have DLSS for whoever actually uses it... Is the loss in raster worth an extra $200 (on paper)?

Unless someone is completely tied to nVidia's ecosystem, holy dang... I think the 4080-16GB may be DOA for most.

Regards.
DLSS for me is used in every game that has it if i get under 120fps on 1% lows. Quality DLSS is almost indistinguishable without staring at very specific things in backgrounds.

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
considering i only have 1 game that supports RT or DLSS, if radeon has better raster performance then the rtx 40 series, looks like i will be picking up a radeon to finally upgrade my 1060.

that and the part of the melting connector :) which a few people i know are going to either postpone, or skip the rtx 40 series because of that connector

correct, the 4080 could be double the 7900 perf and I’d still buy AMD to not get a fire/damaged home.
I like the funny meme reactions to things but when people start believing the meme to be something that is reality is when I start hating social interaction. It will be nearly impossible for this connector to start a fire and a magnitude higher than that for it to lead to fire. The 4000 series problems will be resolved eventually. I certainly wont be an early adapter, but not because my house will burn down, but because I like it when my multi thousand dollar machine doesn't potentially need a new GPU due to Nvidia's oversights.

tresnugget

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
These benchmarks are likely fake. There would never be a larger boost in performance at 1440p than at 4k. It's saying there's a 32% boost in performance going from the 3090 Ti to the 4080 at 1440p in Time Spy but in Time Spy Extreme at 4k where there would be a GPU bottleneck instead of a CPU bottleneck there's only a 26% boost. Makes 0 sense.

7900XTX:

Regards.
I agree, but the NVIDIA name is strong. Despite the lower raster and higher price tag I think it will still sell well.
AMD will gain more market share with this next gen though. Just like they did in the last gen.

DLSS for me is used in every game that has it if i get under 120fps on 1% lows. Quality DLSS is almost indistinguishable without staring at very specific things in backgrounds.
Hence why it's an asterisk for me. I do acknowledge DLSS2 is slightly better than FSR2 (key word: slightly) and people will prefer it because "nVidia brand", but I do VR and most VR games do not use DLSS or FSR, but you CAN enable FSR in all of them externally via the SteamVR app and mods (per-game) and it's glorious.

Also, I can't go nVidia because new VR headsets will need DP2.0+

I like the funny meme reactions to things but when people start believing the meme to be something that is reality is when I start hating social interaction. It will be nearly impossible for this connector to start a fire and a magnitude higher than that for it to lead to fire. The 4000 series problems will be resolved eventually. I certainly wont be an early adapter, but not because my house will burn down, but because I like it when my multi thousand dollar machine doesn't potentially need a new GPU due to Nvidia's oversights.
You gotta admit though:
q6J3Kvj-FhCZkcjcEHabC6PFPJj8VyzfNVW6AGiZ7PE.jpg

That is still funny as heck. This saga hasn't produced good memes though. I'm disappointed a bit. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?

I agree, but the NVIDIA name is strong. Despite the lower raster and higher price tag I think it will still sell well.
AMD will gain more market share with this next gen though. Just like they did in the last gen.
Hence why I made that question very explicit: is the lower raster and nVidia features worth the extra $200? I do agree with you, but sometimes people need some explicit questions for their brain cogs to spin sometimes, hehe.

In fact, a friend of mine already knows he'll get a 4080, without even expecting AMD's cards and he also does VR. I'm not going to say anything and just enjoy how much he'll whine when the new gen of headsets arrives and he can't use them fully.

Regards.

Reactions: helper800
Hence why I made that question very explicit: is the lower raster and nVidia features worth the extra $200? I do agree with you, but sometimes people need some explicit questions for their brain cogs to spin sometimes, hehe.
In fact, a friend of mine already knows he'll get a 4080, without even expecting AMD's cards and he also does VR. I'm not going to say anything and just enjoy how much he'll whine when the new gen of headsets arrives and he can't use them fully.
There are still some unknowns though. It seems AMD was a little loose on their definition of 8K during the presentation (not that big a deal since nobody games at 8K yet). However, the performance increase over the 6950XT was shown with FSR. I want to see native frame performance numbers and increases.

Once 3rd party reviewers get their hands on the cards, mid-December, we'll know, for sure, how it stacks up. I definitely wouldn't buy it without seeing at least a few reputable reviews.

Reactions: helper800
There are still some unknowns though. It seems AMD was a little loose on their definition of 8K during the presentation (not that big a deal since nobody games at 8K yet). However, the performance increase over the 6950XT was shown with FSR. I want to see native frame performance numbers and increases.

Once 3rd party reviewers get their hands on the cards, mid-December, we'll know, for sure, how it stacks up. I definitely wouldn't buy it without seeing at least a few reputable reviews.
I've been on a lengthy back and forth with someone in Discord about it and AMD did test both "normal" 8K and that stupid "8K widescreen" thing. I'm willing to say that, with FSR and DLSS, probably both brands will be able to give playable framerates at 8K (this matters to me, because VR) and AMD may be able to give playable ones at a lower power budget and almost half price (in fact, probably at half price). I am not entirely sure the 4080-16 (let's just call it that from now on? XD) will be able to, but since it's basically a 3090ti+~10%, it may be able to as well (raster, no DLSS), but DP1.4 XD

Regards.